Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op 2/1/2 days and problem

Hello to all,

Had surgery on tues morning and returned home last evening home. I started experiencing severe diarrhea this morning and it has gotten so bad I need to change something or take something. I was taking Gas X and stopped. I took Benydral for I had severe itching with pain meds, Only took once today. I have been on Protein Drinks, just liquids, and cannot stop the pouring. I decided to stop the soy Protein drinks, just to see if anything helped. It may still be take a while to see any difference.i do not have any imodium, but thought i'd put this out there for any information you all might have or a suggestion. I am getting plenty of Water, I got some gatoraid, and tried broth. I am not sick, nor that uncomfortable but just for the constant every 10 minutes of being on the toilet with rushing diarrhea. And I am getting very sore...

If this is par for the course at this time, I shall endure, but I am wondering if I should take something to stop it or slowit down. I am able to get enough fluids back in withiut a problem.

help would be appreciated.

Debra

Hi

I rang my Dr 3 days post op also because I was so worry how severe the diarreah(sp) was. He told me it is completely normal because we are on liquids only it gives you the runs. I remember similiar posts also and alot of ppl have had the same thing. I just thought the clean out would do me good anyway :)

Thank you for your reply. I was told I would have this but I figured it would be short lived. the fact that I do not feel sick or in pain, only getting raw and do not know if i shall be up all night with it, also if I am on the same liquids for the next three weeks, I am wondering if this shall continue. i am to call the office tomorrow, they may not be in, but I shall at least get some idea if I should just live with it. It would be very hard to leave the house.... I was looking for other posts, I am sure it is not new, I appreciate your information. This could get old real quick and it would be nice to slow it down with something.

Thanks,

Debra

Did it stop as fast as it came on? I just woke up at 2:45. I messed up everything while sleeping!!! that is a first. No clue.... i neeed to know it will stop soon.

thanks for your reply,

Debra

yes it will stop soon

u seem to have had it worse than wot i did

but it will go away very soon

if it doesnt call your doc

Glad your feeling better today Debra. I was the opposite LOL. Just make sure you get plenty of fluids to replace what you lost. You don't wanna get dehydrated.

Hugs !!

I had this problem, but not as bad it seems. My dietician warned me it would happen from the drink they give you to do the xray before you come home. Could it be that??

Good luck and keep up the fluids :)

Sweetie, the first thing I thought of was the surgery probably caused it because of the liquids; secondly the hospital is the worse place in the world to pick anything up and you could have got a touch of stomach flu; that's a possibility too. I hope in working in the medical field for 38 years I'm giving you some helpful advise, but I would suggest Pepto-Bismol and suppositories for hemorroids. Get some hemorrhoid ointment also and put it on the suppository...oh instant relief. You can also buy tucks pads to wipe with. This should clear up the problem, and congratulations to you for taking the big step. I still have it to look forward to, but I'm learning all of what can happen here. You sound like everything is just working a little in overdrive, but liquids can do that to you.

I wish you lots of success.

Thanks for the reply,

I believe it is not a bug, for I feel just fine. I am being so good with all the structure and following all rules. We shall see what transpires this day. At least I slept like a baby, I needed that. I will get some pepto and see how I do. I will call the office to at leasst report my event. I had not planned on going anywwhere for a few days anyway, so if this is to be I shall conquer it also. I have to remember it is only 3 days since surgery. When I recognize that and all the liquid, or no liquid in the hosp. at all for 36 hours, then it has only been a little over 40 hours starting up again. I also wondered if chocolate was causing it rather than vsnilla. No rhymn or reason, so far. Looking forward to the sun cioming up in the next hour, dealing with these things in the light always seem much better. No holidy, stores open, possible Dr. office open, so I go on...

Thanks for all ideas and support. My eyes are cloudy at typing, sorry about spelling..

Debra

Teresa, I even liked the barium, for I finally got yo deink something! The nurse did tell me if I felt like I had gas, watch iut, for i had better run to the toilet. I just got curious that it went beyond 24 hours and still is here.

A call in never hurts. I shall have to wait a couple of hours.

sunrise today is a bright red sky...At least something nice to focus on, besides being so thankful for my new life beginning...

Debra

Well Pepto Bismo isn't doing anything. Tell me about your experience, how long was this for. I am wondering if it stayes until mushys. If that is the case I may have to start sooner than two weeks. I just looked and was glad to see it was Dec 5.

Interesting tody, I made s Protein supplement into a thin pudding mixture. Well it was the first time I felt what it felt like to be full, very full. Guess I actually wondered if I would ever know what that felt like, hmmmm. well I'm clearly not comfortable, but manageable. hoping Water starts smoothing it out.

Sure would like this party in my tummy to settle down though,having husband go out for immodium.Thanks so much.

Hello dear Debra,

I am so sorry that you are suffering through this bout with the runs still. Know that I am supporting you as you figure this out.

Your support and advice has helped me. I drank the Protein supp. and had 2 oz of Atkins shake for dinner tonight. I feel better already!!! I am sipping my Water so I can get all my fluids in today as well.

We will make it through this together! Call me when you need to talk and get it all out.

Amy (o:

I had the same problem, and it endured for quite some time. My bottom got VERY raw and hurt...a lot. I saw that as I was getting all the Protein I was supposed to in, things started to bind up. Also, I was on an Iron supplement, which helped in the binding process as well. Pepto Bismol has aspirin in. I don't know if your doctor told you this, but mine said no Ibuprofen or aspirin...ever again. Tylenol or acetaminophen is ok. Immodium should be ok, though. Check with your doctor to be sure. Just be assured that you will get through this, too. Be sure to get your Protein in every day. My nutritionist said 60 grams daily. Your stools should start binding up within a day or two of getting at least that amount in.

Good Luck!