Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone,

I had surgery on Monday- so today is my 5th day. I've been sleeping all day long and have been moody, depressed and irritable like no other. I'm also still a little sore in the muscles and suture area.

Not sure if it's total hunger or if it's part of the recovery and it is normal to be like this, but I'm a little worried. The day after surgery I felt GREAT but I've slowly gone downhill emotionally.

Anyone have any advice for me post-surgery and can anyone please relate to me and tell me how they got through it and how long it will last?

Thanks.

I know how you feel, I am also about 5 days out and have been so irritable and grouchy to almost everyone. I think I just feel bad because I feel bad. I've been having a hard time with gas and swallowing and pain from the sutures.

My saving grace has been one of my best friends, who is also going to have WLS, She has been a listening ear and a great encouragement whenever I feel like I'm gonna fall apart. She's there to talk me through. Also reading through posts on this site help a lot.

I know that I get really moody, too. I get irritated sometimes when I can't eat as much as I want... and I really have to stop and remind myself that this is what I signed up for. I honestly wouldn't take back this decision for anything because this surgery saved my life.

However, just like a smoker quitting cigarettes, I am really moody when I cannot eat. I'm 6 months out. I'm truly never "hungry", only in my head.

So, I guess I chalk all my moodiness up to flat-out frustration. I'm extremely thankful for this little band taking the control out of my hands. I only hope someday to gain some control on my own and be able to make good, healthy decisions about my food intake. I know in a heartbeat if my band were removed I would gain everything back and more.

I totally can relate to your post. I am a little over a month out and I experienced the things that you referred to. It truly is a period of mourning to some degree because you have given up some of your comforts. I have also heard that the effects of the anethesia kick in about 5 days out so you may be experiencing that as well.

It was hard to get through it, but I got through it and YOU can too!! What I did was try to find something else that I enjoyed doing. In my case, I picked up reading a book.

When the weight loss starts kicking in, things will get better I promise! I am starting to enjoy seeing myself in the mirror these days and I have so much more energy to enjoy time with my boys.

You are in a period of recovery now. Take deep breaths in and out. You will make it. Keep your eye on the prize. Maybe you should go out and buy a new, smaller outfit that you hope to get into in the future.

Be gentle on yourself during this time. It is a whole new life opened up to you!!

:thumbup:

I am now going on 11 weeks out from surgery. I had three definite periods of feelin "blue" and grumpy within the first month of surgery. :smilielol5:

I did not have a difficult surgery or a lot of gas pain. I did not have much, if any hunger, and yet I still had mood changes. I could not pin it on hunger or pain, but it was very real.

I think it is normal just due to surgery, anesthesia, and diet change. If you are not as lucky as I was and hunger a lot, I am sure it would be much worse.

It goes away. :lol: It seemed to lift after a few days for me each time. However, at the time it was very uncomfortable and seemed to go on forever.

Hang in there. This is a BIG life change. You and your body are making lots of changes all at once. Be kind to yourself, let yourself grieve the loss of your friend and support (food), and indulge yourself (with something besides food). Talk to friends, do something you like to do, keep busy. It gets better and you do get back to a more balanced, normal life again.

If you keep being down and grouchy, go talk to someone in your bariatric program. It may help and certainly can't hurt.

Keep your eye on the prize and you will get through this phase!:thumbup:

Thank you so much to all who responded and for all the words of encouragement. The gas is still a little uncomfortable in my stomach and I am feeling quite a bit of soreness and still can't sleep on my side. I think that all these changes just threw my mood in an uproar.

I'll stay positive and get through this. It helps a ton just knowing there are others out there with the same situation.

Take care all of you and thanks again.

Post again and let us know how you are doing in a few days. We are thinking about you!

I had surgery Monday and Going through the same with emotions and having a hard time getting my Protein in and cannot sleep on my sides still really sore.