Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this as good as it gets?

I need some thoughts from successful lap-banders and to vent and spew obscenities like I have Tourette's.

Surgery Date 04-09-10

First fill 5-10-10 no restriction

Second Fill 06-04-10 (9cc's total out 14cc band) feeling some restriction but can eat more volume than I thought

06-08-10 lost 3 pounds (I have to fast 3 days after each fill - loss expected)

06-08-10 lost 3 pounds

06-13-10 lost 2.5 pounds feeling positive

Since 06-13-10 I am GAINING pounds every day.

06-17-10 I am now 6.5 pounds heavier and very close to my weight on 06-04-10

I have to be very proactive in order to lose ANY weight other that after 3 day fasting after a fill. I know I am eating little enough to lose some pounds. For instance, yesterday I had one scrambled egg for Breakfast, one piece of string cheese for mid-morning snack, two granola bars (small ones, 90 calories each) another string cheese that afternoon and a grilled cheese salad for dinner. I drank around 3 or 4 zero calorie Powerades. I even worked in the yard trimming hedges and all the work to dispose of the clippings. It was around 95 degrees when I was working and high humidity.

I thought I would be down a couple of pounds from the exercise and light eating. I was up one pound! The only time I have lost any weight consistantly was when I was on a low carb diet. I have lost about 28 pounds on the low carb lifestyle. I could do the carb diet without having surgery. I know this is not a magic cure and I will have to learn new eating habits and lifestyles but damn, when am I going to lose some weight from the surgery? I feel like I was sold a bill of goods. It sounds good on paper but.....

Any thoughts or words of encouragement

Thanks.

:smile2:First and foremost, congrats on your band!! The band is just a tool to help us achieve our goals. I think you need to talk with a nutricianist and see what your eating, calories,fat grams, protien, and carbs. A simple adjustment in what you are eating and volume control may do the trick. Try eating really slow, smaller portions. 4-5oz of food total (about a half cup) should hold you over almost 4 hrs. have a light snack between meals, like a stick of low fat string cheese. Also eating slower and more often will increase your motabolism. But please talk to your Dr and Nutricianist. I am not a dr but this is how I understand what I have to do! GGood luck with your new freind, the Lap Band! J :thumbup:

I'd recommend journaling what you eat --and your exercise---on a site like fitday.

Often, we tell ourselves we're eating little enough to lose, but really, are not.

My body is resistant to loss---which is why I got the band. I have to stick around 800 calories/day.

By journaling (both long-term before surgery, and after), I have made sure (a) what my needs are, and (:thumbup: that I meet and do not exceed them.

I know it's not the case for everyone, but foods like granola bars really undermine my success. I need to focus on lean Protein and nonstarchy veggies. For me, there is no such thing as "eating like I did before, only less." Quality is as important as quantity. So, just a suggestion: make sure you're keeping that in mind, as well.

It totally works...but doesn't do the work. It will only work if you stick to the eating plan designed by your dietician as well as incorporate regular exercise into your routine. It's only a tool and if you don't do your part then it won't do its.

I had the band in January and I'm down 43 lbs. It's slow and steady but as long as I follow the "band rules" then I lose each week.

Good luck!!!

I don't think you are eating enough. Please speak to your dietitian.

The journaling will help because you can present him/her with everything you've eaten in the past few days.

I don't think you are eating enough and I don't think that what you are eating is very healthy.You seem to be eating a lot of cheese which is a high fat food(even the lower fat varieties) and it is not the kind of food that fills and keeps you full. You would be better off eating lean meat/chicken/fish plus some vegetables and even a small portion of carbs if required.

Thanks to all that responded. Some good advice.