Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone...Last week I scheduled my date to be banded...AUGUST 23rd! I'm excited but really nervous at the same time. I have never undergone surgery before and I think I more overwhelmed about this than I am about getting the actual band. I am very familiar with the whole process of having the LAP-BAND® as my dad was banded 2 years ago and has lost over 150lbs. Anyone have any advice they can give, being a younger bander?

Hi! My name is Blair and I just turned 29 (female) Sorry it's a weird time I just couldn't sleep! I was banded yesterday! :) And I was like you excited but very nervous! I also had never udergone surgery! Never been put to sleep or anything! I was actually suppose to have my surgery April 27th and was sooo nervous about being put to sleep I chickened out and cancelled it! Luckily my time hadn't run out and I didn't have to start all back over when I finally decided I really wanted to do it! I don't know about your goal weight loss but mine is like 60lbs at the max...so I had a lot of people confusing me saying that I didn't need it (not bragging) cause according to the "WII" game I am in the "obese" precentile! I am 5'6 213lbs But I am one of those solid kinda people, if you see what I am saying. I was atheletic and a size 6-8 10 years ago when I graduated highschool!! So...that naturally is my goal to be back to that atheletic woman instead of this "couch potatoe!!" LOL Anyway, I just wanted to tell you my story to try and help! Oh, and like I was so stoked and ready when I went in and was fine not nervous a bit! When I woke up I sqawled!! Cried like a baby! Thanking the Lord that I was awake and alive! I was that worried! But it was weird because I was perfectly fine before the surgery, laughing and cutting up with the nurses! But anyway, if you need anyone to talk to, just send me a message! Oh and it's not as bad as you are thinking, like I said I was banded yesterday! And my Doc actually chose the "Realize" band for me once he did the surgery. I don't really think there is a a lot of difference. He just said he wanted me to be able to eat more meats and vegtables!?? But anyway, I am not really that sore just a little and not that hungry! Just take the pain meds they give you even if you don't think you need them. Just my opinion! Anyway, sorry this is so long! Just wanted to give ya a little encouragement! Let me know if you ever want to talk! Good Luck!

Edited by photo81

Hi Blair....Congrats on finally going through with the surgery. Thanks for that...it helped a little. Def keep me updated so I know what to expect...lol...

Hi! I just got banded on June 14th and it was my first surgery- I was not nervous at all just excited- and I think that the hardest thing about it all is the overwhelming changes. I had a hard time with the liquid diet and stuff because I missed chewing and tasting foods. The deprivation and hunger were the worst parts. But then after surgery the hunger hasn't been too bad but I do agree take your pain medication just in case because it doesn't really hurt but it has a sore achy feeling that sucks when you move.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to the whole complete life change that is involved. I knew what to expect but until it actually happens you can't really really understand.

Best of luck to you and if you want to talk send me a message.