Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded yesterday - June 14th - recovery ?s

SO.....yesterday was my big day. I have to say that recovery is not what I thought (however, I have NEVER had any type of surgery EVER). I am so sore. Last night I was in pain and tried not to have to take the narcotic but had to anyway. Dr. told me to walk around as much as possible and to cough!? All of that hurts! Also, he said that they don't stitch up the belly button and mine is leaking:scared2: some blood and some clear stuff. I am waiting on the office to call today to check on me (they do that with all patients) so I can ask them about it.

I just need some encouragement to get through the recovery process. I am a big whiner and like I said...never been through anything like this before!:unsure:

You'll be back to yourself in no time at all. Just take it easy and baby yourself right now. I stayed on top of the pain and took the medicine every 4 hours for the first 3 days then switched to adult strength liquid Tylenol. Don't let yourself be in pain. That just makes the situation worse. Best wishes on your journey and welcome to Bandland!

Don't wait for the pain to start. TAKE THE MEDS!!!!. You'll be rareing to go in about a week. I'm 4 weeks post-op and feel great. I look forward to every day now and ccan't wait for whole foods. Best wishes and hang in there you'll be better soon.

I got banded yesterday, also and I thought it would be a simple procedure, and up and go. I am sore, and just looking for encouragement. Thanks you guys:)

One trick for whenever you have to cough is to hold a pillow to your stomach. This helps greatly...not sure why...but I was glad a nurse from a previous surgery had told me this.

Hope you feel better soon!!

Thanks guys! Yesterday was my first day out since the surgery. I had some pain/pressure at the port site. Is that normal?

Hi I had surgery on the 15th. Today is the 19th I am still very sore and stomach is gurgling. Not major pain just sore. How long will this last.

I was banded May 5 and it did hurt some when walking.

newgmp, I was banded on the 15th as well. My stomach is gurgling too! Wondering when it will stop. No luck yet.

Hi I had surgery on the 15th. Today is the 19th I am still very sore and stomach is gurgling. Not major pain just sore. How long will this last.

:mellow:Does you stomach feel like its about to fall forward out of your body and my back hurts. It feels good to hold something on your stomach. I think a belly band would be great but i hope this will stop soon. Wonder how long it will take for this to feel better. teach 724 Ill keep up with your progress and let you know mine. Hope you are doing great. Its exciting but scarey also. At first I seemed overwhelmed with the diets etc. But so far it has been fine.

Edited by newgmp

hey all. I was banded 6/7 and let me tell you...the first 5 days kicked my ass. I figured since I'd had 2 c-sections, this lil ol surgery would be easy, right? WRONG!

Do your best, take the meds. Walk and cough when you can. A nice flat pillow for your tmmy is your new BFF. I used mine to cough, in the car, even to get up from the couch.

I'm 13 days out now and pruned my trees yesterday. It does get better. Although I'm havig shoulder pain....

good luck!

Hey guys! Thanks for posting! I am 9 days post op now and I am feeling good. There are the occasional pulls and tugs inside, but overall it is getting much better. However, after 1 week of liquids, I was starving. So I moved on to full liquids and some mushies. Today I was able to eat a piece of sliced deli ham with a bit of cheese. It goes down well and I chew like crazy. It doesn't hurt and I don't need to throw up. I hope that I'm not hurting anything:blush:. Hope you all are doing well in your healing process!

I'm day 3 post op and I was curious on everyone elses experience, I'm so swollen! I'm shocked at how swollen my tummy is, I feel like a pregnant women. Did you experience this and when did you start to see some relief? I'm afraid to even attempt to wear anything besides sweats!

i had surgery one week ago today...on 6/16. saw doc today. incisions look great. like others, this surgery kickd my butt and i carried triplets so i am not wimp. today i had the shoulder pain twice. i took pain meds twice. i also realized that i had read about applying heat. i have a heating bean bag and used it tonight on shoulder. what a relief!! doc said shoulder pain might last a little bit longer....sigh....:thumbup:

I'm about 3 yrs post-op but I remember the day after getting banded like it was yesterday! It felt like I had done wayyyy and i mean wayyyyy too many crunches and sit-ups! Please please take the pain meds seriously. That is, use them when you need them, no more, no less! Also, the short, slow walks really helped me. The night of my surgery a nurse walked with me around the hospital floor a few times and I walked every day after that about three or five times a day (like I said, short and slow). Not only does it help the pain and recovery, but it also aids in your beginning weight loss!

Good luck to everyone, and congrats!