Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't want to be a closet bandster

I have told several people and I don't want to be a closet bandster. I want to share the information and help others who may be considering getting a band. My problem is my co-workers. I have only told a few of them. Alot of them are now asking me what I'm doing to lose weight and I don't want to spend my whole day(s) explaining to each of them what the band is, what it does, etc. I just tell them the bandster rules - Protein first, then veggies, then carbs and small bites.

None of them are obese so it isn't anything that would help them although the education may help them tell friends and others. Any suggestions on how to approach this would be appreciated.

you can go with it two diffrent ways... this is just me.... 1 way you can just tell them "Oh im eatting a lot less these days" 2 way You can tell them " oh I had WLS the lapband which helps control what I am eatting so I eat much less." You dont have to tell them all the rules of the band I wouldnt think.. Hmmmm maybe someone will have better ideas..

I'm not going to tell anyone at work either. If people ask I'm just going to say "I'm eating everything, just alot less, calories in / out" end of discussion lol.

Some people just don't understand, and some folks think surgery is the easy way out...which is nuts b/c having someone butcher you body most certainly is NOT the easy way out... plus we all struggle with hunger (well I do lol). So I'll tell only those who I think will understand.

Good luck !!!!

I admire your desire to spread the love, but I wouldn't want the added pressure of everyone knowing I'm banded and watching every thing I eat.

With that said if I were going to openly tell everyone who wanted to know, I think I'd type up and copy a description of the band, how it works, general guidelines, and why I chose it for myself.

This is one of the constant questions around the board, and after reading the answers, it appears that it all depends on your personality, and the type of people you are around. If you don't want to tell, that is perfectly fine. I respect that decision, and I bet anyone would. For me, I told everyone, and haven't felt pressured by people watching what I eat or anything. If they are interested in what I eat, they probably were before my surgery, too! Like, what does she eat so that she weighs sooo much?? LOL! Maybe it's my advancing age (50 tomorrow), and I just don't give a hoot what other people understand or don't understand. I understand. My family and friends support me, and that's all I need to know about that. I have also been able to help a couple of other people, which is something I am happy about. Decide what's best for you, and go with it. Cindy

I tell everybody who ask how I am losing weight. Just Thursday a lady came to my desk and said that she had heard that I had the band done. She is going to start the whole process in the new year and wanted to know if I would answer her questions about it. I was happy to do so.

Anybody I can help along the way I will. I don't really have the problem of people watching every bite I put in my mouth. I eat at my desk most of the time and am usually in my own little world.