Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another Newbie

Hi all,

As I'm sure many of you also did before you took the leap, I've been thinking about getting surgery for a while now. After years of struggling to lose weight on my own (and actually doing it...then gaining it back plus some -- never thought I'd be one of those people), I know that getting surgery is finally the right option. Reading this forum for the past three hours has pretty much sealed the deal. I just want to be able to enjoy my life, and right now I feel stifled and stagnant.

I've always thought of myself as beautiful (I was even a baby model, haha), but I realize that not everyone sees me that way. And right now, I feel so unhealthy and don't really enjoy looking at myself in the mirror anymore. I know that I can lose weight -- I've done it before, but since I have sooooo much to lose, as soon as I hit a major plateau I get discouraged. And after going through that a couple of times now, I know that's the way it's always going to be unless SOMETHING changes. I feel like I CAN make the changes I need to, I just need a little boost. That's where the surgery comes in.

I don't know what it is about the anonymity of the internet that allows me to feel so comfortable posting intimate details about myself that I won't even tell my own mother, but what the heck. This seems like such a supportive environment and I'm extremely thankful that I found it. I'm 5'11'' and I weighed about 375 at my heaviest (I think I'm a little smaller than that right now), so I've always been a big girl. I'm not looking to be a size 6, but being able to shop in a regular store would probably make my entire life.

I've finally gotten the ball rolling on this surgery thing -- going to an information session next week, looking into my insurance qualifications and such, and would love to hear any stories you all have to share. I'm not even scared of the actual surgery/recovery part -- I'm getting my tonsils out on July 1, and from what I've read about both surgeries, the lap band recovery is a breeze compared to an adult tonsilectomy. So I've got that to worry about first (and hopefully I'll be able to drop a little weight, too. At least something good can come out of the intense pain and super-long recovery period).

Cheers to all, and thanks for sharing your struggles and accomplishments here. They've been inspiring, and I hope to add my own soon.

-Jean

Welcome! I was just banded on Tuesday, June 8th. This website is amazing. It helps me get my mind on my goals and is inspiring. I feel so relieved to know I have this tool that will help me get the weight off and stay off! Good luck with your tonsil surgery!!

Ashly

Welcome jean! Congrats on the decision to go forward with surgery. Its an amazing tool I am soo happy I did it in april! We have almost exact porportions. I am 5'10 1/2 (use to be 5'11'' before I got so weighed down) and at my highest I was 380, by surgery I was 360 after the pre-op diet & have since lost another 25lbs in a little shy of 2mts with just one recent fill. Honestly I'm not out running marathons or completely off all 'bad' foods but I am still steadily losing with the band. Its an AWESOME tool. All I keep telling people is I want to never have to shop in lane bryant again.lol and be able to ride the rides at amusement parks. Simple goals but they mean the world to me so I completely understand where you're coming from. Its absolutely possible! Good luck on your journey!!