Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carb or Low Fat...which is better?

A lot of food that say they are low fat are loaded with carbs. Low Carb tends to have higher fat content.

For me...I've been choosing the lower sugar/carb stuff and taking the hit on the fats. But I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

So....the question of the day is...

When you have to choose the better of 2 evils...do you choose low carb/higher fat or low fat/higher carb????

I am really interested to see how other bandsters handle this dilemma :thumbup:

One word.... NEITHER!

Brad

My Doctor say high Protein but lean protien and low carbs but NOT no carbs. I stay around 50 carbs or less a day if I can.

Cheri

As was said, neither really, but since you asked, I have tried both many times pre-band. Low fat was way easier to stick with and the weight didn't come back as fast. With low carb the weight came off faster but it was harder to stick to and once you stopped, the weight came back really fast.

Just do a nice healthy balance, make sure to get in your Protein, and you'll do fine. :thumbup:

Preferably neither, but if I had to choose, I'd choose low fat.

I just dont think there's enough evidence around yet to entice me into eating a diet based on animal products. And I dont fancy a diet based on manufactured foods like Protein shakes either. I think too many high Protein diets are overloaded with saturated fat.

I dont think high carb is any better though.

I try for a diet that's low white carbs, and has moderate amounts of the right fats. Saturated fat we dont need a lot of and trans fats we dont need at all.

The best bet is to keep both low! almost impossible to eliminate both. If you should over do it with one or the other, then take notice and cut back your normal carb/fat intake for a day or two. We still are alive! just remember the band is just one more tool in the bag. Its up to us, to do right by us!

One thing I will admit, being an avid anti low carber and not half vocal about it either, is that I do think sugar is probably more to blame for heart disease than fat is.

somethiing about sugar seems to render our bodies incapable of saying ENOUGH, whereas most of us wont overdo it on fat to the same extent. And our parents generations (well, my parents, I'm an old and crusty over 40 year old) seemed to subsist on high saturated fat diets without the same levels of heart disease as we we now enjoy. I dont think fat is *quite* the enemy it has been made out to be over past decades, but I think sugar might be way more damaging than we used to think.

I actually used to think a banana in a white bread roll and a bag of jelly Beans was a pretty good lunch as it was virtually fat free. It never occurred to me that I most defintely WASNT fat free myself!

Difficult choice. It depends on the type of carb or fat as well. All fats have the same cal but certain types of fat are supposedly bad - saturated fats,trans fats whilst others are good.

Also low fat products are often as high or higher in calories as the fat that has been removed has been replaced with sugar.

One example of this is yogurt.Often the low fat has as many cal as the standard variety. I would far rather eat full fat greek yogurt than the low fat varieties. The greek stuff is thick and satisfying whereas the low fat stuff is watery and leaves you still hungry.

Then there is the debate about how foods that have been artificially sweetened can actually make you fatter. I can't remember the science behind this but it has something to do with the insulin response.

The best way to go is probably to eat a balanced diet consisting of foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. Choosing lean cuts of meat, removing excess fat and satisfying your sweet tooth with fruit rather than manufactured products. And if it comes down to a choice between butter or marg then eat whichever you prefer the taste of!

I go the a little of everything approach. I get low fat milk cheese and yoghurt but sometimes have Cereal for Breakfast and a sandwich with lots of healthy protien (tuna, ham, turkey) for lunch. In the past when i have been sucessful and now (so far am loosing each weigh in) variety has pretty much done it.:thumbup:

It probably depends on you and how you react to fats/carbs/proteins. I crave a wide variety so I count calories instead of trying to balance everything prefectly. I do pay more attention to food labels. After I get my Protein in for the day there is surprisingly little room for carbs or fats so if I want to remain full and satisfied I have to choose more wisely than before. The idea of fat isn't appealing so unless I really crave the food and it's a treat I will go for good carbs over fats.