Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help - will this actually work?

I have been slowly gaining weight over the past few years. I have PCOS and Endo. This means losing weight is practically impossible despite my hardest efforts. (Long story, so best not to even start.) With other health issues, exercising isn’t always as possible as I would like.

I have exhausted all means to fight the flab. So I’ve got a consultation next Friday for the band.

My concern is – will it actually work?

I don’t think I over eat or really eat bad food. I’m not going to lie and say I don’t enjoy the odd take out or fast food, but on the whole I don’t eat badly. So I know with the op, my food intake will be dramatically decreased, which is always a good thing when trying to lose weight.

But will it work? If all the band is doing is restricting how much I eat, will the weight really come off? (as isnt it just like a diet?) Also I struggle with hunger – I don’t give in – but feeling hungry all the time is horrible. Will the band help with this?

I would love to hear some experiences so I can get some hope that this will work!

Thank you :thumbup:

Becky x

When I went for my consultation, I was speaking with someone in the waiting room who had LAP-BAND®. She has mutiple health problems, including PCOS. She mentioned that she has to take steroids quite a bit and hard it is for her to lose weight. She said she had lost about 55 pounds in 7 months. I do think you can do it. I was just banded yesterday so I am not very experienced but wanted to share about the lady I met who seems to be similar to your situation.

Thanks Ashly for your reply - that has really give me some hope!!

Its so hard as I don't know anyone who has had or is even thinking about having the proceedure. So thank you for letting me know about this lady. Fingers crossed for me :thumbup:

Very pleased for you - having had the op.

How are you feeling today?

Wishing you big success :smile:

Bex

x

I am doing pretty good. I am just sore. I am sipping on a Protein Shake now. It is strange because I do not feel hungry or full. I just want to make sure I get enough Protein down to help me heal. This was my first surgery so I didn't know what to expect. It went fine and the incisions are very small. Do you have a surgery date?

I have PCOS and was banded almost 3 months ago. As of last friday, I've lost almost 50lbs. This is the first thing to really work for me. I haven't been this "light" (not that 269lbs is light) for almost 6 years. I was worried I would be hungry, feel shakey and weak with the restriction, but I really don't. I just make sure I eat plenty of Protein and I'm good to go!

Thank you Laura for your reply.

Its gr8 to know that you've managed to loose weight despite the PCOS. :eek:

Have you found the weight loss has helped with any of your other PCOS symptoms (if thats not too personal to ask)?

Its good to know you're not hungry or have any shakes, as this is one of my biggest worries. I know I will be eating less, but wondered if it would help with my horrible hunger pains :(

How are you feeling today Ash? I dont have an op date yet. Got first consultation next Friday - so fingers crossed!

x

Have you found the weight loss has helped with any of your other PCOS symptoms (if thats not too personal to ask)?

Its good to know you're not hungry or have any shakes, as this is one of my biggest worries. I know I will be eating less, but wondered if it would help with my horrible hunger pains :(

How are you feeling today Ash? I dont have an op date yet. Got first consultation next Friday - so fingers crossed!

x

Well, it's hard to say, since most of my PCOS symptoms are being controlled by my birth control. I guess the true test will come in September of next year when we will try and conceive.

I really was terrified of the shakes/weakness I sometimes got if I didn't eat enough/often enough, especially since you are eating so much less than you're used to. I haven't had a case of the shakes/weakness since I started the preop diet!

Make sure that your PCOS is listed under comorbidities, as most insurances accept that.

x

I am feeling alright today. I am definitely more sore and tired. I have had one Protein Shake, 1 sugar free pudding cup, and a coffee cup of chicken broth. I am not sure how much more I can eat. I am going to try to get one more Protein shake down.

I will cross my fingers for you! Are self-pay ore going through insurance? Are you waiting to start the pre-op diet until you have a date?

I have been slowly gaining weight over the past few years. I have PCOS and Endo. This means losing weight is practically impossible despite my hardest efforts. (Long story, so best not to even start.) With other health issues, exercising isn’t always as possible as I would like.

I have exhausted all means to fight the flab. So I’ve got a consultation next Friday for the band.

My concern is – will it actually work? It will work as hard as you do.

I don’t think I over eat or really eat bad food. I’m not going to lie and say I don’t enjoy the odd take out or fast food, but on the whole I don’t eat badly. So I know with the op, my food intake will be dramatically decreased, which is always a good thing when trying to lose weight. I suggest that you start tracking your food intake on fitday.com or livestrong.com now, to get a good starting point to use once your banded. Studies have shown that people who journal lose twice as much and keep it off better than those who don't.

But will it work? If all the band is doing is restricting how much I eat, will the weight really come off? It will probably be slower than someone who does not have PCOS but it will come off if you follow the band rules. (as isn't it just like a diet?) Yes it is just like a diet, but one with an end. I was on a 16 year diet, now I am 10 pounds from being done, and then on to maintenance. In the past when I lost weight on diet pills or starving myself, I knew that once I started eating again the weight would pile back on. Now I know that I don't have to go back to eating (feeding the hungry beast) like that again because I am no longer abnormally physically hungry.

Also I struggle with hunger – I don’t give in – but feeling hungry all the time is horrible. Will the band help with this? This is exactly what the band is designed for people who are hungry. Before I was banded I could eat a full plate of food (good quality just WAY TOO MUCH) and still be hungry. The band really helped with this physical hunger after I started getting restriction.

I would love to hear some experiences so I can get some hope that this will work!

Thank you :(

Becky x

Keep reading and good luck with your decision. I do like to tell people who are considering the band to MAKE SURE you are willing to change, because change is required for the band to work.

Hi guys - I'm replying to all 3 of you in the same post lol :frown:

Hi Laura, I get the shakes something cronic! So knowing you've been fine is amazing - and a gr8 relief. I know we are all different, but fingers crossed :sad:. Good you have a pill to control the symptoms, makes life much better. Will it be your first baby?

Hi Ash, Is it weird to be eating so little and yet feeling so full? Have you weighed yourself yet or are you going to do it weekly?

I live in the UK so I'm paying privately as the NHS wont help :rolleyes:

So thats a bit of a worry but it if works, it'll be more than worth it!!

Appt is Fri and I think they said its minimum of 3 wks for the op. From research the pre-op diet is about 2wks before - is that right?

How did you get on with it?

Hi Leigha, thank you for your post. The journal tip is a good one! Thank you.

Thats the problem I've had with diets in the past. Either didnt work or I piled it back on! And what you say about the hunger is really comforting. And like you say it will be retraining me to eat 'normal' so fingers crossed the weight should stay off! And I take on board about the change - that is something that has become very apparent and which I have been thinking seriously about.

When did you get banded, if you dont mind me asking?

Thanx again guys :tongue:

x

I had the band on 10/19/09 and have lost 65 lbs, this is a very hard way of losing weight if you are not going to follow the plan, you do have to change the way you eat and the things you eat. There will be foods you will not be able to eat and if you eat the wrong things you will be sick. I have been working hard at this, but must admit I miss the bread more than anything (no cburgers coneys sandwichs) but I feel so much better after losing this weight and I want to lose another 50 lbs. I think I would have done better with the way to eat if I had understood it better. If you have tried every diet (i had) and are serious about changing your life style than this will be the last "diet" you will ever do, but if you are cheater and will still do as you did in the past don't waste your time and money. Hope I have not been a downer, I just want you to be sure of what 'you" really want from this.

I don't mind, I was banded 10/20/09, its been 33 weeks. I have lost a total of 55 pounds for an average of 1.66 pounds a week. My average was over 2 pounds a week but when I got down to the last 15 it really slowed down and now I am losing about .67 a week but I am happy about that because I think the last 10 or 15 are the "oldest" fat cells and they are going to be the hardest to get rid of. I am having to burn them off, one at a time, if I had not upped my exercise I would be on a "plateau". The diet only goes so far.

I was also self pay and so far I paid $185.45 a pound to lose this weight. When I am at goal it will be $156.92. :frown: Worth every dollar!