Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I just got banded on June 1 and I'm a little nervous about all of this. I've been looking for people my age and then I realized that this forum exists. I'm 27 and still in college. If anyone is interested in chatting or sharing their stories I would really appreciate it.

Hi Tanya,

Hope you're ok. I havent been banded yet so cant share any sucess stories with you. Sorry :thumbup: But this forum is amazing, so many gr8 tips. I'm glad I've found it!

Hoping my op will be in the next couple of months - if all goes well.

How are you coping with the change?

Wishing you a 'big loss' :smile:

Bex

x

Hey girls! My surgery was yesterday and so far so good. I am takingmy pain medicine around the clock. I am sore but have not had the left shoulder pain yet. I am 26, a 2nd grade teacher, and a single mom to my sweet and sassy little girl who will be 4 in September.

I am nervous about getting sick so I am taking it VERY slow. I do not ever want to push it and get something stuck. I will be on a full liquid diet for 2 weeks and then a soft diet for 4 weeks. Do you have pills you have to crush? It is so gross.

I hate to be a bummer Ashly but the gas comes 3 or 4 days out. The shoulder pain came a week after surgery for me. I was very blessed though, it only lasted for an afternoon. Thank you Lord cause it was more painful than the surgery. I am 12 days post op and doing very well... down 22 pounds (including pre op diet). I don't crush my pills yet but the doc said I may have to after a fill. Take it easy and walk as much as you can... it really helps when the gas hits.

Hey!

I was banded May 25th of this year. I'll tell you the process I've been through so far...

I was banded on a Tuesday. After I awoke from anesthesia I had a pretty rough case a dry heaving but it was gone within 30 minutes (tip: ask for anti-nausia drugs before surgery). I passed out for the remainder of the day.

After I woke up I discovered that I had severe back pain. To battle this I walked as often as I could handle it and had a secret love affair with a heating pad. The pain was gone by that Friday.

Every day I felt significately better. By June 2nd I had lost 12 pounds. At this point I have not lost any more weight. Every day I have increased the amount of time I have been working out. Today I did 35 minutes of cardio on a bike. I have yet to have been released to do any more extensive workouts. (weight lifting and such)

Oh and my appetite is back :thumbup:. Buh... However, I just can't eat as much. I'm in what several people call bander's hell... or whatever. (It's the stage in between being banded and your first fill. You have a crazy appetite and you are no longer losing weight)

Now this is just my experience... everyone goes through a different process. I hope yours goes well!!!

I hate to be a bummer Ashly but the gas comes 3 or 4 days out. The shoulder pain came a week after surgery for me. I was very blessed though, it only lasted for an afternoon. Thank you Lord cause it was more painful than the surgery. I am 12 days post op and doing very well... down 22 pounds (including pre op diet). I don't crush my pills yet but the doc said I may have to after a fill. Take it easy and walk as much as you can... it really helps when the gas hits.

Thanks for letting me know. I am glad I will know what to expect and not think I am getting worse instead of better.Yay for being down 22 pounds! That is exciting. Do you feel hungry? Do you measure the amount of liquid you drink? When do you get to go to soft foods?

Thanks for the heads up on the gas!!

My doctor is not as strict as some. He had me do Clear Liquids for 2 days, full liquids for 5 days, mushies for 7 days and on Saturday I get to move to soft foods... adding some soft cheese, baked or grilled fish, refried Beans and soft cooked veggies. I am so excited about chewing... I can hardly wait. I don't care for the mushy foods so I have stuck mostly to the creamy Soups. I like to make tomoto Soup using milk... it is very good and helps get your protien in for the day. I have not been hungry but my doc gave me 2 CC's in surgery. I have a follow up appt. on June 24 and hope to get another small fill. I don't measure what I drink... I just sip all day long. I am unable to do the milky protien... it makes me nauseated. I eat about a cup of soup now but I started out at 1/2 cup after surgery. Have you tried Greek yogurt? It is really good and creamy and has lots of protien. Keep me posted on your progress. It is nice to have weight loss buddies that understand what you are going through. TTYS... :thumbup:

I will have to try some Greek yogurt. I do like my Protein Shakes but feel like I can only drink about 4-5 ounces at a time. I know I am barely eating, which is fine if I do not feel like it, but I want to make sure I am getting enough Protein to heal. Should I try to break my protein shakes into 4 small "meals"??? I know then I would get my 40 grams of protein. If you are drinking liquids does that mean you can still not drink until 30 min after?

I am not an expert since I am so newly banded. When I was doing just liquids... I drank all the time and even on full liquids. However, when I started mushy foods... I started to observe the drinking rule. The drinking rule is too keep you from washing your food out of the small pouch. Liquids and creamies go right through anyway. Right? So excited I get to add some baked or grilled fish and some soft veggies on Satruday. When do you get to move to mushy foods? Has the gas hit you yet? Don't forget to walk it out. Also, when I got the really bad shoulder pain... I got a really hot shower and left it beat down on my shoulder. It really helped. Have you had any nausea?

I am not an expert since I am so newly banded. When I was doing just liquids... I drank all the time and even on full liquids. However, when I started mushy foods... I started to observe the drinking rule. The drinking rule is too keep you from washing your food out of the small pouch. Liquids and creamies go right through anyway. Right? So excited I get to add some baked or grilled fish and some soft veggies on Satruday. When do you get to move to mushy foods? Has the gas hit you yet? Don't forget to walk it out. Also, when I got the really bad shoulder pain... I got a really hot shower and left it beat down on my shoulder. It really helped. Have you had any nausea?

So far I have not had any extreme gas pain. I have had some pain in my chest but nothing too big. I walk around the block a lot. Every hour or so I will walk around. Helps me clear my head and stay focused. I will not be able to have mushy foods until the 22nd, which will be two weeks post-surgery. I am going out of town for a friend's wedding the 25th. I might go ahead and stay on liquids while I go. I do not want to be trying anything new out while I am away from home. I have not been nauseaus more than maybe 2 times. Overall, I feel blessed that I am doing so well. I am happy because so far I do not feel deprived or even feel like eating anything other than my liquids.