Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 6/1/10. can't keep anything down!

Help! I was banded on 6/1 and left the hospital the same day. They had me eating ice chips but nothing else. I felt really horrible pressure in my abdomen and assumed it was the gas everyone talks about. When I went home, I tried to drink Water and a little bit of Protein Shake but when I took even tiny sips of anything, I'd get that pressure and PB everything up. I couldn't even keep a teaspoon of the pain and anti-vomiting meds down. Called my doc and he had me to to the E.R. and i spent the next 3 1/2 days in the hospital getting IV fluids and dilaudid and trying to sip small amounts of water and warm tea. When I vomit/PB, it's always lots of foamy saliva along with whatever I just tried to drink. Doc said it was due to excess swelling at the band site. I feel like it's completely blocked and with gas sitting on top.

Anyways, some of the stuff must have been getting through because i had two small BMs on Friday night and then on Saturday i managed to drink some water and a little broth so my doc sent me home.

Now I'm wondering what the hell I've gotten myself into...I keep throwing up everything but very small amounts. I've eaten probably less than 1000 calories in the past week and have thrown up most of those! I've lost 10 pounds since Tuesday! I'm worried about dehydration and weakness. I can't sleep well. This sucks. Anyone, please help with some ideas, thoughts, advice!

You're obviously very swollen inside. This op really mauls you around on the inside. It may be keyhole but it is a big bloody key!!

Stick with thin fluids, everytime something gets pushed back up it aggravates the swelling.

As you say, fluids are most important. Get some Protein drinks and add low fat milk to make them really thin then sip them constantly and very slowly. I think once you can stop bringing stuff back then it will start to settle.

Good luck.

Help! I was banded on 6/1 and left the hospital the same day. They had me eating ice chips but nothing else. I felt really horrible pressure in my abdomen and assumed it was the gas everyone talks about. When I went home, I tried to drink Water and a little bit of Protein shake but when I took even tiny sips of anything, I'd get that pressure and PB everything up. I couldn't even keep a teaspoon of the pain and anti-vomiting meds down. Called my doc and he had me to to the E.R. and i spent the next 3 1/2 days in the hospital getting IV fluids and dilaudid and trying to sip small amounts of Water and warm tea. When I vomit/PB, it's always lots of foamy saliva along with whatever I just tried to drink. Doc said it was due to excess swelling at the band site. I feel like it's completely blocked and with gas sitting on top.

Anyways, some of the stuff must have been getting through because i had two small BMs on Friday night and then on Saturday i managed to drink some water and a little broth so my doc sent me home.

Now I'm wondering what the hell I've gotten myself into...I keep throwing up everything but very small amounts. I've eaten probably less than 1000 calories in the past week and have thrown up most of those! I've lost 10 pounds since Tuesday! I'm worried about dehydration and weakness. I can't sleep well. This sucks. Anyone, please help with some ideas, thoughts, advice!

Just curious if they did a barium swallow to make sure everything was going through the band ok before releasing you from the hospital?

I would think dehydration is a huge concern at this point.

Very interested in what other posters have to comment on this...

I wish you the best!

Brad

Just curious if they did a barium swallow to make sure everything was going through the band ok before releasing you from the hospital?

I would think dehydration is a huge concern at this point.

Very interested in what other posters have to comment on this...

I wish you the best!

Brad

Hi Brad,

Nope. And they didn't even have me drink a cup of Water before I was discharged which - as I found out when I came back to the ER that night - is standard procedure. This is a hospital that specializes in weight loss surgery!

You're obviously very swollen inside. This op really mauls you around on the inside. It may be keyhole but it is a big bloody key!!

Stick with thin fluids, everytime something gets pushed back up it aggravates the swelling.

As you say, fluids are most important. Get some Protein drinks and add low fat milk to make them really thin then sip them constantly and very slowly. I think once you can stop bringing stuff back then it will start to settle.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Just a couple of hours ago, I started feeling some relief. I managed to slowly drink a small amount of Protein powder mixed in with about 3/4 cup of non-fat milk and nothing came up for over an hour and when it did, it was a small amount. For the last five days, I would drink a small sip of even Water or tea (I'm talking about less than a teaspoon) and I would get immediate painful pressure that radiated into my upper back and then up it would come.

I think I've turned a corner and am very happy. I was getting depressed and worried about dehydration and dreading the idea of going back to the hospital for more IV fluids!

Your Dr may have put in some fill already and this could be causing the problems. Lots of people that have fill added during surgery find that with the swelling and everything else it causes problems. Call your Dr and ask. If you have been prefilled it can be removed so that you can recover and heal and then in a couple of weeks time you should be ready for your first fill.