Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Importance of good aftercare

Hey gang, I just want to share some thoughts on the subject of good aftercare.

First off, I think the clinic that I used is just great, my problem is that I don't live close to my clinic. I live in another state entirely for most of the year while I attend school, and I only get back a very few times a year.

I have been getting fills at a sort of local hospital. But the radiologist doesn't have any experience with the band, other than me. Oh the joys of being a ginnie pig.

Most people have just wonderful success with just one or two fills, and they don't have any complications. But there are those that do have issues.

Part of my problems have nothing to do directly with the band, but they have had a negative impact, which I didn't foresee. I had really bad gyn issues that started the week after I was banded. Nothing to do with being banded, just a coincdence in the timing. I had to have two seperate operations to try to deal with the uncontrolled bleeding, had to go on hormon therapy to try to deal with it all when I should have been able to focus on my band and not my uterus.

I was home for the summer, but instead of dealing completely with the band, I was dealing with other health issues. I thought I was properly filled, I thought I had proper restriction, but well, obvioulsy, I didn't.

I've been getting fills by someone who in inexperienced. I may have a leak, or best case, the fill person was letting more out than he was putting in. I went to ID with 1.8 ccs and I came home with 1 cc.

Because the fill person isn't experienced, they cannot help me with my issues, my questions.

I think the problem with getting banded in one geographical area and living in another is that it is difficult to find someone who is qualified to help us and to do proper aftercare.

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with so much at once! It doesn't seem fair. :)

You're totally right about the importance of good aftercare. I think banding more than anything is about what happens AFTER surgery, both in the doctor's office and in the patient's head. We place so much importance on the act of surgery itself, but that little band of silicone doesn't do anything by itself. It has to be managed, and managed well. Finding someone who really knows how to do fills, and how to speak to us about managing fill level, is crucial to our success as bandsters. It's a whole lot more than just being banded and walking away.

As someone who's band surgeon is thousands of miles away and in a different country, I couldn't agree more. I try to make up for my lack of surgeon follow-up, nutritionists, support group, etc. etc. with LBT and my recently formed local group of bandster...of which I am the "oldest" but, oh, what I wouldn't give for a local band doc who really followed my every move and gave me the excellent, insurance-covered care I desire. I knew I was lacking this going in and I'm making the best of it. Thank goodness I have a good Fill doc.

After-care is soooo important. It can make or break a bandster!! Go get 'em, Crystal. The fill issues you have going on are fixable. ((((hugs)))

Aftercare? What aftercare???

Sometimes I wonder if the surgeons that are giving us the band are even aware of how long we will be needing aftercare... probably til we die! And how many of us will live in the same area, use the same doctor, have the same insurance, and so forth during the rest of our lives??

I truly wish there would be an open door policy for all banding doctors to be open to seeing/treating/adjusting any banded patient.

I understand why they do not. But its something I wish would happen!

Since my surgery, my surgeon has moved most of his practice an hour and a half farther away from the city where I was banded. He moved - I didnt! Its no longer easy seeing him in his old location!

And due a new insurance plan that totally excludes AGB and outrageous fee's for any hospital visits (for testing)... what am I to do for aftercare???

I've been getting fills by someone who in inexperienced. I may have a leak, or best case, the fill person was letting more out than he was putting in. I went to ID with 1.8 ccs and I came home with 1 cc.

*sigh* more aggravation!

Now that you are "home" for a moment, are you gonna try to see your surgeon for a follow up?

You are a brave woman for letting someone "inexperiencd" touch your goldmine!

((hugs)) we're gonna get to the bottom of why you have no weight loss! You'll see!

Yes, I'm able to see my original surgeon. They originally wanted me to only have fills done here in Western WA, but they are starting to understand that people move, have lives that are not divoted to weight loss, but who want to treat it as a lifestyle change instead of yet another diet.

They are actively working with other doctors and radiology clinics to try to find support people for those that move or who started in a different state.

There is a tremendous lack of support after we are banded....not only in education about fills, but at the support groups. I thank God for this board as I know that it has been a God sent for me.

I wholeheartedly believe that quality aftercare is one of the most important parts of being banded. Having read this board for several months now, I realize how lucky I am to have my doctor within walking distance, who is patient, kind and experienced. I realize how lucky I am that medicare picks up the tab for all of those visits to his office and all of the fills. I would say that that accounts for atleast 70% of the success I've had to date .. the doctor's office (doctor, staff, etc) are all so encouraging and help hold me accountable.

Crystal, I'm sorry to see you've had another problem tossed on top of it all. You're such a strong woman .. I really admire you for that. Here's hoping that it'll turn out to just be a minor issue (such as he's letting out more than is going in) and you can get a proper, lasting fill. *hugs*

Vines your words speak volumes..

But even with the best aftercare shit happens..I'm a testament of that! I hope you seeing your surgeon while you are home gives you some peace of mind and you get some answers. Best of luck

But even with the best aftercare shit happens..I'm a testament of that! /
I know Michelle, this is one of the reasons I started this thread. Well, actually I was also thinking of Jonathan and Trish, not just myself.

Sort of just extrapolating things. I know that if I'm having issues, then others are also having them, that's just the nature of things. I know I sure didn't expect to be where I am, and I know you didn't expect to be where you are either. (not that some people don't always expect the worst...) No, it was more a case of being glad that I do have access to good aftercare, even if it is difficult for me to access it being hundreds of miles away usually from my clinic.

We know that there are plenty of folks here (and elsewhere) who've been banded in a different country or state. It can be very difficult to get back to see the original surgeon in many of these cases, for whatever reason. I know that when I finish my degree that I'll probably have to move clear across the country to fulfill my obligation. DC is a long way from Seattle, especially to go for a doctor or fill appointment. 18 months feels like a long time from now, but I know that time has a habbit of slipping away, like fog on a sunny day. But I'll have to work with my current clinic to find someone to support me while I do my governemt service, until I can move back home.

I can only hope that by that time doctors and clinics will understand that there needs to be some sort of recipriosity, where more clinics will treat patients that were not theirs originally. And I don't just mean that between US docs either.

I'm very glad you have such a great relationship with your surgeon Michelle. You are an example of why good aftercare is important. You had great care, and I don't believe this would have been caught any sooner, given your lack of overt symptoms. I think it was found precisely because you had good aftercare.