Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for people who have had the lap-band surgery?

Hello :tt2: I have some questions for people who have had the LAP-BAND®, I basically am not sure if I want to go through with it and I would like to hear some stories of people who also couldn't decide at first lol. I understand it is not a quick fix, and it is going to take time and effort and what not. I do have some questions though.

I have been overweight my entire life. My mom loved food, therefore I love food. She rewarded me with food and we pretty much lived on fast food growing up, therefore I am quite morbidly obese. In Kindergarten, I was 100 pounds, most of the other kids were around 60. Last time I was weighed, probably close to 2 years ago, I was 427. Food is my comfort and I spend any money I get on food... My parents have never said you cannot have this or no we cannot order this in, if they can afford it, or I am willing to pay for it, we get it. That is that. They have tried to mention my weight and doing something about it, but they know it does not phase me and that I ignore it. I actually made effort when I was 16 to go to a nutrionist but after a bad experience, I completely refused to go back to ANY nutritionist. She basically told me fat peopel cannot be succesful, it felt like an interrogation, and that fat people cannot do anything. It was just so rude. Since I was 16, I am 18 now, my mom has been talking about the lap-band® and how I should consider getting it when I turn 18. Lately she has really been bothering me because the class you have to attend is in a few weeks, and I only have until I am 19 (less than a year) to get it done, which is when insurance stops covering me. I have social phobia/social anxiety though, due to being taken out of school 4 years and put into homeschooling with no real human interaction. I was put into homeschooling due to bullying, I have been clinically depressed since 3rd grade, that is when I was diangnosed. I have told my mom several times, i will not go to a class with other people in it, I cannot do it. If you do not know what social phobia/social anxiety disorder is, it is basically fearing human interaction, and you totally believe everyone is looking at you, judging you, saying things about you, point at you behind your back, making fun of you etc.. That is the only way I can explain it. I have only just started going and getting the mail in the past 2 months, and only if nobody is outside their house and I have a hoodie completely covering me, with a long skirt. I only leave my house if I absolutely have to, and at that, it is usually at night time, and I do not go inside anywhere. I always have to have a hoodie on that covers everything and a long skirt,so nobody can see me. I only go in the dentist when I am in terrible pain, I deal with moderate/mild pain otherwise, because I know I will be in a room with just the dentist and I. I have not even gotten my license yet, nor do I have any interest... I seriously start having a panic attack in social situations, I have not had any RL friends in 3 years. Lately I have been having so many pains due to being overweight, and I am sure in a year or 2 I am going to end up having a heart attack. The doctors said at anytime I can have a heart attack. I never mention these pains to anyone though because the social phobia/anxiety, and I will NOT go to the doctor. So, what I am asking is to hear from people or people who have had friends/family get the LAP-BAND® and if it is really something worth doing? The main questions I have are;

1. Is there pain after the surgery? And if so, what kind? How long did it last?

2. How long do you have to stay in the hospital after surgery?

3. Is there a specific diet before/after surgery?

4. Do I have to slim down to a certain weight before I can get it?

5. I know you eat less, a lot less, do you eat more smaller meals or just 3 really small meals?

6. If really small meals, is there enough food for your body to like have energy? :S

7. Should I worry about complications with my weight?

8. How many people die of complications every year? And how many people get the surgery every year?

9. What kinda of diet are you on currently?

10. I cannot stick to diets, will I be told to TRY dieting before the surgery?

11. What happens on the day of the surgery?

12. Side effects?

13. Problems you had?

14. Did you ever consider not getting it because of the extra skin?

15. How steady of a weight loss can one expect?

16. Did family members actions change after you got the surgery?

17. Your worries before you had the surgery? What about after?

That is all I can think of but I appreciate any replies!

Thanks, sorry for the long post lol.:thumbup:

Hello and welcome. I've answered your questions the best I could below.

I had no pain but the gas was very uncomfortable for about 3 days.

About 20 minutes.

Yes, yes and yes!

Probably, this depends on your surgeon. They all have different requirements.

5. I know you eat less, a lot less, do you eat more smaller meals or just 3 really small meals?

3 really small meals.

6. If really small meals, is there enough food for your body to like have energy? :S

Your stored fat will provide all of the energy you need.

I don't think so. Everyone that gets banded is obese.

8. How many people die of complications every year? And how many people get the surgery every year?

Millions have this surgery and there aren't enough fatalities to even worry about.

None! I just eat sensibly.

Yes, you will.

You have surgery.

12. Side effects?

If you eat too fast, it hurts a lot.

13. Problems you had?

My clothes are too big.

NO! Extra skin is far more appealing than being morbidly obese.

You can't. Everybody is different and if you don't eat right you may lose nothing at all.

No

None

Thanks, sorry for the long post lol.:thumbup:

The lapband is not a magic wand that you wave and your fat just disappears. Well, it's not. Losing weight takes A LOT of effort on your part. The lapband is just a tool and will not work unless used as directed.

There are a few rules that must be followed in order to make it successful:

• Drink at least 64 ounces of Water a day
  • Eat only 3 meals a day
  • Cut your food small
  • Chew every bite 25 - 30 times
  • Do NOT drink during meals or for at least 30 minutes after meals.
  • Stop eating when you are no longer hungry
  • Do NOT drink high calorie drinks

to name a few.

Good luck!

1. Is there pain after the surgery? And if so, what kind? How long did it last? Very little pain, I had surgery on Tuesday and went to work on Thursday.

2. How long do you have to stay in the hospital after surgery? about an hour

3. Is there a specific diet before/after surgery? I was on a 2 week liquid diet before and 1 week after and then 1 week of soft foods. I thought it was OK to sacrifice a month of eating to be thin.

4. Do I have to slim down to a certain weight before I can get it? Only the surgeon will be able to say.

5. I know you eat less, a lot less, do you eat more smaller meals or just 3 really small meals? I eat 3 small meals, with 2 small Snacks.

6. If really small meals, is there enough food for your body to like have energy? :S I have lots more energy than I did, it is much easier to carry around a smaller body.

7. Should I worry about complications with my weight? Again only the Dr will know for sure, but he/she will go over it in detail. But you should be more worried about complications of staying the weight that you are. WLS has been proved to be safer than being obese.

8. How many people die of complications every year? And how many people get the surgery every year? My Dr has never lost a patient in surgery after several thousand surgeries. That is who you need to worry about, your own Dr. not all Dr.'s are created equal.

Most fatalities are from:

1) Not disclosing health conditions to the Dr

2) Using a Dr that is less experienced / skilled

9. What kinda of diet are you on currently? I eat around 800-1000 calories a day but you will find your own personal diet that works for you.

10. I cannot stick to diets, will I be told to TRY dieting before the surgery? No you will not be told to TRY, you will be told to DO IT, for your safety during surgery. You will probably need to shrink your liver so that the Dr can place the band properly.

11. What happens on the day of the surgery? You go to the hospital, go to sleep, wake up with a band and go home about an hour later.

12. Side effects? I have to eat slow and chew a lot. I have to be prepared and have food I can eat in the house to avoid bad choices. I have to exercise an hour a day to lose the last 11 pounds.

13. Problems you had? Constipation and heart burn.

14. Did you ever consider not getting it because of the extra skin? Flabby skin is much more attractive than big rolls of fat. I asked my husband yesterday if I looked older because of the flabby skin, he said yes but that my body is much more attractive now. I think its a good trade, plus I can have plastic surgery to remove the skin if I decide to.

15. How steady of a weight loss can one expect? I lost 2 pounds a week, but I worked at it. I know people who have had the band and did not stop grazing, drinking sodas and eating sweets and lost nothing.

16. Did family members actions change after you got the surgery? Yes, my husband and I both changed. We had to renegotiate how our relationship was centered around food. Your relationships will change throughout your life, even if you don't have the surgery. I did lose a "friend" because she was very upset that I was now thinner than she was. Good riddance.

17. Your worries before you had the surgery? What about after? I paid $10K for my surgery, I was afraid I wasted my money. But once I started getting fills, everything I knew about dieting worked.

I also want to add that once you are a more average size person, you will feel more comfortable in public. I have anxiety issues also, they run in my family but I promise they will become less severe when you blend in better.

You will have to give up food being your comfort, and you will need to start seeing a councilor to help you deal with your food issues but it will be worth it. Do something now, whether its the band or something else. Do not wait until your middle aged and have wasted your youth.

1. Is there pain after the surgery? And if so, what kind? How long did it last? Yes there is some pain, but it's not nearly as bad as you'd think. The doctor gives you pain meds to take home and they really help. After about day 3 I felt a lot better.

2. How long do you have to stay in the hospital after surgery? I had to stay a few hours. Some people opt to stay overnight but..no thanks. I preferred to be home.

3. Is there a specific diet before/after surgery? Yes, but this varies. Many times you have to do a 1-2 week long liquid diet to help shrink the liver. I lost a lot of weigh during this time. It's hard but you get used to it.

4. Do I have to slim down to a certain weight before I can get it? I don't think so but you'll want to check with a surgeon. I know mine wouldnt operate on a patient over a certain weight because it's an added risk.

5. I know you eat less, a lot less, do you eat more smaller meals or just 3 really small meals? I eat 3 small, healthy, high Protein meals a day.

6. If really small meals, is there enough food for your body to like have energy? Yes. That is never anything to worry about.

7. Should I worry about complications with my weight? I don't think so.

8. How many people die of complications every year? And how many people get the surgery every year? There have been a few deaths. I know of 3. Two were from complete negligence of the patient.

9. What kinda of diet are you on currently? None. I eat small healthy meals. Some people do opt to do low cal/low carb diets though.

10. I cannot stick to diets, will I be told to TRY dieting before the surgery? You'll probably have to do a pre-op diet. The word cannot really needs to be out of your personal diet for this surgery to work for you.

11. What happens on the day of the surgery? You go in, have surgery, and get to go home. You're hooked up to an IV, you meet your surgeon, sign a few forms, meet your anesthesialogist and you're off to the surgery room.

12. Side effects? None.

13. Problems you had? None at all.

14. Did you ever consider not getting it because of the extra skin? Yes, of course. But I realize that plastic surgery is always an option, and I'd really have extra skin over rolls of fat everywhere. Plus, the younger you are, the higher possibility that your skin will shrink back somewhat.

15. How steady of a weight loss can one expect? It varies from person to person. I've been told 1-2 pounds a week. I'm a little shy of being a month out and I've been losing 7lbs a week. But I'm sure this will slow down greatly.

16. Did family members actions change after you got the surgery? Not much. My mom is eating a lot less and a lot healthier. She has even lost too but she is not obese by any means.

17. Your worries before you had the surgery? What about after? I was worried it would not work. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to do it. However, it's obvious that I can and anyone can. You just have to be willing to change how and sometimes what you eat. It's a new lfiestyle, but it's a healthy one that I'm learning to truly enjoy.

Hey there! It's nice to meet you :thumbup: The class that they want you to go to isn't really a class. It's more of a presentation. They give you the information that you need to make a decision that is the best fo you! That said, if it is too hard to go to the class you cantalk to your doctor about the EMMI presentation which is an online version of the class.

If at some point you decide to get the lap band you will have limited interaction with people on the day of surgery but you can request that it is limited and i promise you that they aren't laughing at you, but cheering you on for making one of the hardest decisions to improve your life!

1. Is there pain after the surgery? Yes. And if so, what kind? There is pain from the port incision site which is about an inch in length. It's not really painful, it kind of feels like ya did 100 sit ups. You can also have some bloated gassey feeling in your tummy and in your shoulder for a few days, but it does go away. How long did it last? About a week,sometimes less. They give you pain medication so it isn't too bad.

2. How long do you have to stay in the hospital after surgery? Some people go home the same day but my surgeon keeps people overnight which turned out to be the best plan for me.

3. Is there a specific diet before/after surgery? For me, pre op I had to drink opti fast which is a Meal Replacement shake for two weeks. The first three days were rough but after that it wasn't so bad.

4. Do I have to slim down to a certain weight before I can get it? It depends, some surgeons want you to lose some weight pre op because is makes surgery safer, and some want you to lose weight pre-op to prove that you are able to lose weight. There is usually with most insurance companies a 6 month period that you have to fllow a food plan that will help you shed some excess weight.

5. I know you eat less, a lot less, do you eat more smaller meals or just 3 really small meals? You eat a lot less, on average about the amount of food that can fit in an average yogurt container. That's it per meal and you have 3-4 meals a day. That seems like not enough and I thought that too pre-op but it really is enough and you dont feel overly hungry.

6. If really small meals, is there enough food for your body to like have energy? :S YES! I didn't think so at first, but there really is!

7. Should I worry about complications with my weight? To be VERY honest yes... being overweight can and is deadly.

8. How many people die of complications every year? Death from lap band is less then 1/2 of one percent. And how many people get the surgery every year? National Instute of health says about 80,000 people got the lap band in 2009.

9. What kinda of diet are you on currently? Not on any diet, just what I can tolerate and get down. The lap band isn't a diet, it is a healthy way to teach me to eat te best foods for my body. Protein 1st, Veggies 2nd and Carbs last.

10. I cannot stick to diets, will I be told to TRY dieting before the surgery? Possibly, but if you are honest with the doc he can set you up with meals that youalredy eat, just prepared in a healthier way, and you will have to say no to fast food including delivery and take out. It's just a reality. Also, no soda which is hard, but mandatory.

11. What happens on the day of the surgery? You go in and they weigh you, take your blood pressure and vitals, and you change into their gowns. They will start an IV and then you wait till they take you back to surgery, you lay down and you just go to sleep, very easy not chaotic.

12. Side effects? It's hard to eat bread and you have to chew your food really well. You can throw up from not chewing your food well enough. You can get gassy (farts) and burping. You could also get a slippage where the band slides down too far or your stomach goes up through the band, but it is not common and is fixable.

13. Problems you had? Constipation from the pain medication

14. Did you ever consider not getting it because of the extra skin? Nope because extra skin wont kill me, the fat inside it will.

15. How steady of a weight loss can one expect? 2-4 pounds a week

16. Did family members actions change after you got the surgery? Everyone has been very supportive

17. Your worries before you had the surgery? Yeah,but mostly just the unknown. Kinda psyched myself out. Just normal jitters that everyone goes through. What about after? not so much really

Keep talkig and remembern question is dumb or too nosy ok?

Best of wishes!

Heathet

Seevie,

Everyone's already answered all your questions, but I needed to add to the question of whether getting the lapband is worth it.....

Yes and then some. You have spent your whole life being obese and that is difficult all by itself. I remember quite well being a fat kid, a fat teen and a fat adult...Trust me on this, it won't get better being a fat adult. Oh adults aren't quite as rude to your face as kids can be, but they are still judging you by your appearance every day. Luckily for me, it didn't have the anxiety issues that you are dealing with. I can only imagine what that is like. I can only wish I could have lost this weight when I was 19. I don't think it would have solved every problem I ever faced, but it sure would have made most facets of my life so much easier.

Given all your issues, I think it would take great courage our your part to go through with banding, but I think it could be the best thing you've ever done for yourself. You are in such pain now, physically and mentally. You will be amazed at how the world opens up when food isn't the center of everything. I spent at least 40 years of my life being obese. I don't recommend it, not when you have another option. You are going to need help with this, but you can do it.

Cindy

I was in very minimum pain, I didn't need any pain meds, but I did take extra strength tyelnol before bed because the port sight is sore and it helped me sleep. I would say the worse pain for me is my shoulder pain. It started off as gas pains but because I got a hertal herina fixed, I am having more shoulder pains. It does suck, but its finally starting to go away ,4 weeks post op.

It depends on your doctor and your insurance. I had surgery at 730am and was out of there by 10:50am the same day.

This also depends on your doctor. I had a 2 week liquid diet before surgery. 1 week liquid diet after. 2 weeks of mushies , and then off to normal food!

Your doctor might want you to lose a certain amount of weight before surgery. The smaller you are the less risks.

Your only suppose to eat 3 small meals and some doctors allow a small heathly snack or two.

So far so good :-)

This is something you should discuss with your doctor :-)

8. How many people die of complications every year?

Im not sure, im sure you can research it though.

And how many people get the surgery every year?

Same as above.

I just started back real food. I stick to high Protein low carbs.

You might, but it all depends on your insurance. I had to do a 3 month diet before I got approved for surgery.

I got to the hospital at 630. I had to change into a gown and had to pee *which didnt happen*. THey started my iv and gave me a shot in the thigh *this does not hurt as some ppl say it does* for blood clots. Tried to pee again *nope not this time either* Had to sign a paper saying I wasnt pregnant. I walked into the or, laid on the table and they put me to sleep. Next thing I know im waking up telling them im cold. I wasnt in any pain and they told me to take a nap. I wanted to go home so I made myself stay awake. When I was able to get up, I had to pee before I culd be released *finally happened*. I then went to sit down and they gave me 8oz of Water to drink, as soon as I did this they took my IV out I got dressed and went home!

12. Side effects?

SO far nothing.

13. Problems you had?

SO far nothing.

Yes, I still worry about this. But I can hide the extra skin while being healthy, I cant hide this fat!

They say about 2 pounds a week

I have had some be supportive and some non.

I had none before, I was not scared at all. And after, I only lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks. Im pissed. I know im suppose to be healing but ugh! I feel like im going to fail.

A few words of advice. Please consider doing something about this weight issue! You are 18 years old and have so much life to live! I am 22 and if I knew that my insurance would have covered this, I would have been banded the day I turned 18. If you get kicked off your parents insurance at 19, you need to start now! What if you need to do a pre diet? Your fills wont be covered once you get kicked off, you need to do this for YOU!

FYI... check out the gastric sleeve. I say this because if you do get kicked off your parents insurance and cant afford the fills this tool will not help you. Weigh your options, but please please look into something and get the ball moving.

Best luck to you :-)

Everyone answered your questions very well. The only other thing I would add is to try to go to a presentation given by a surgeon who does bypass (RNY) as well so you can get educated on both procedures. For some people, bypass (RNY) is really a better choice. The band does require A LOT of follow-up visits after the surgery to adjust it properly and get it working for you. Bypass is more automatic. So, I'm just thinking because of your social anxiety issues, you might have an easier time adjusting to the bypass because you won't have to go to as many follow-up appointments.

Also, I know its hard, but try not to feel like people are all looking at you or judging you. The people you will meet and deal with along this journey are some of the biggest advocates for the obese and really get a joy out of seeing you succeed. It has been a very positive experience for me.

Oh, and as for the social anxiety, if there is any way you can bring yourself to talk to your PCP about it, I bet you could be put on a medication that would help a lot. I don't have social anxiety disorder, but generalized anxiety disorder. When I finally talked to my PCP about, I thought she'd send me for tons and tons of therapy. As it turns out, I take a magical pill called Lexapro and it takes care of my GAD perfectly, no side effects, and I haven't needed any therapy.

Edited by adagray

Hello :cursing: I have some questions for people who have had the LAP-BAND®, I basically am not sure if I want to go through with it and I would like to hear some stories of people who also couldn't decide at first lol. I understand it is not a quick fix, and it is going to take time and effort and what not. I do have some questions though.

I have been overweight my entire life. My mom loved food, therefore I love food. She rewarded me with food and we pretty much lived on fast food growing up, therefore I am quite morbidly obese. In Kindergarten, I was 100 pounds, most of the other kids were around 60. Last time I was weighed, probably close to 2 years ago, I was 427. Food is my comfort and I spend any money I get on food... My parents have never said you cannot have this or no we cannot order this in, if they can afford it, or I am willing to pay for it, we get it. That is that. They have tried to mention my weight and doing something about it, but they know it does not phase me and that I ignore it. I actually made effort when I was 16 to go to a nutrionist but after a bad experience, I completely refused to go back to ANY nutritionist. She basically told me fat peopel cannot be succesful, it felt like an interrogation, and that fat people cannot do anything. It was just so rude. Since I was 16, I am 18 now, my mom has been talking about the lap-band® and how I should consider getting it when I turn 18. Lately she has really been bothering me because the class you have to attend is in a few weeks, and I only have until I am 19 (less than a year) to get it done, which is when insurance stops covering me. I have social phobia/social anxiety though, due to being taken out of school 4 years and put into homeschooling with no real human interaction. I was put into homeschooling due to bullying, I have been clinically depressed since 3rd grade, that is when I was diangnosed. I have told my mom several times, i will not go to a class with other people in it, I cannot do it. If you do not know what social phobia/social anxiety disorder is, it is basically fearing human interaction, and you totally believe everyone is looking at you, judging you, saying things about you, point at you behind your back, making fun of you etc.. That is the only way I can explain it. I have only just started going and getting the mail in the past 2 months, and only if nobody is outside their house and I have a hoodie completely covering me, with a long skirt. I only leave my house if I absolutely have to, and at that, it is usually at night time, and I do not go inside anywhere. I always have to have a hoodie on that covers everything and a long skirt,so nobody can see me. I only go in the dentist when I am in terrible pain, I deal with moderate/mild pain otherwise, because I know I will be in a room with just the dentist and I. I have not even gotten my license yet, nor do I have any interest... I seriously start having a panic attack in social situations, I have not had any RL friends in 3 years. Lately I have been having so many pains due to being overweight, and I am sure in a year or 2 I am going to end up having a heart attack. The doctors said at anytime I can have a heart attack. I never mention these pains to anyone though because the social phobia/anxiety, and I will NOT go to the doctor. So, what I am asking is to hear from people or people who have had friends/family get the LAP-BAND® and if it is really something worth doing? The main questions I have are;

12. Side effects?

13. Problems you had?

Thanks, sorry for the long post lol.:unsure:

Our story is this same, and I too was 100 lbs in kindergarden !

1. Is there pain after the surgery? And if so, what kind? How long did it last? Yes, and for me it was about 5 days

2. How long do you have to stay in the hospital after surgery? I had to stay 4 days , due to the surgen.

3. Is there a specific diet before/after surgery? liquid diet before and after, then puree foods and then light foods

4. Do I have to slim down to a certain weight before I can get it? Not sure, I was 430lbs

5. I know you eat less, a lot less, do you eat more smaller meals or just 3 really small meals? more smaller meals, for me

6. If really small meals, is there enough food for your body to like have energy? yes and energy goes up with weight loss

you mean if you dont do something?.YES!

8. How many people die of complications every year? And how many people get the surgery every year? Not sure

9. What kinda of diet are you on currently? NO fat, sugar or refined flours

10. I cannot stick to diets, will I be told to TRY dieting before the surgery? You will stick to the liquid diet, it for 2 weeks prior to the surgery, if not they wont do it!

11. What happens on the day of the surgery? you go in, and come out. No food for the first 24hrs , but I wasent hungry for 5 days

12. Side effects? none so far

13. Problems you had? fear

14. Did you ever consider not getting it because of the extra skin? Yes, howevermy insurance will cover the plastic surgery, but I have meet many who decided not to get it.

15. How steady of a weight loss can one expect? 2-6 lbs per wekk.

16. Did family members actions change after you got the surgery? Not really, they all supported me and were very happy with y decision.

17. Your worries before you had the surgery? What about after? worries before, would I make it....after this is not happening fast enough.

what I have to say is basically the same as everyone else......but being in the medical profession i feel that you would benifit from some counseling along with weight loss surgery so that you have the best chance at being sucessful. And this is only my opinion of course, but it sounds to me like you may want to consider a gastric by-pass. A counselor who specializes in bariatric issues may be able to help you decide what is best for you. But don't give up....the important thing is that you do something to improve your health and well being!