Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you know what is in your band?

I am looking to talk to people who have ominpaque in their band instead of saline. I am having some weird side effects and need to talk to others?

From what I have heard a lot of Dr Spivak's people do. I am one of his patents too.

Cheri

Thanks Lisa!!! I have known since the beginning that I had omnipaque in my band as my Dr. asked me if I was not allergic to shellfish he would rather use that than saline, because it is thicker and is less likely to have any leakage. Well after I had my 2nd fill about 8 weeks out. I started to feel really tired and started falling alseep at work and would sleep hours at a time in the daytime where I never had before.

My regular Dr. and I looked at all of my meds I take and we changed dosages and cut some in half. I am also on Lexapro for depression but have been on if for about 3 years. I myself after losing 65 lbs decided that I was on too high of a dosage more than my brain could take so I slowly weaned myself down to half a dosage of that and it is not the problem. I eat all my Protein almost everday and drink all my Water, take Vitamins and work out one hour to one and a half hours a night on a total gym or walk. So I feel that I am doing what I am suppose to do as far as the band is concerned and my health, but I am so tired.

I am 10 months out right now down 66 lbs and people in my support group are trying to help me figure out what is wrong with me. My regular Doctor thinks that my deppression is worse than I am willing to admit and that is why I am so tired all the time. My brother just died in December of this year of an overdose, he too suffered from depression and it scares me too that what if I just lose it too. I have a great husband, a sweet loving son wonderful daughter-in-law and two of the most beautiful grandbabies so I have nothing to be depressed about really but it seems to be a chemical thing.

Anyway the last time (2 weeks ago) I went for a fill the Dr. pulled out all to check if all fuild was there and them gave me .05 ccs and as soon as he pushed it in I felt so tired, just the moment it went in. We did the floro as he always did and everything was okay so I left.

I have never discussed my tiredness with him as I did not think it was band related. Well my friends who also have bands and have saline were helping me reserch omnipaque and one of the side effect is extreme tiredness, so they think it is the omnipaque causing this.

I call my Dr.'s office on Friday and discussed this with one of the staff and she also has omnipaque in her band and said they have never had complaints like this before. I am going to call on Monday tomorrow and talk to him his self and see what he tells me. I do not know how I would know if I am allergic to shellfish as I eat no seafood. But my support group wants me to have omnipaque taken out and saline put in which my Dr. office said is to big deal they would do it no problem. But I am afraid to mess with what is working for me so far. But need to find out what is wrong with me. In the last 6 months I have had to complete blood workups and nothing seems to be the problem. I do take meds for my thyriod and it is in the right spot. I am 49 and will soon be 50 so that plays part of it too. My Dr gave me a B-12 shot and it did not even phase me.

So anyway that is why I am looking for people who have omnipaque in their band to see their experiences. The omnipaque is a whole lot thicker that is why my Dr. gives me very small fills. The omnipaque is not flexable and is less forgiving when you get stuck. I have 4 ccs in a 10cc band. See I never slime, only once when I had my first fill. If I get stuck it must come up it will not go through except one time and it was a 10 hour wait. Where my friend never throws up and one of them has lost 103 lbs but she slimes ALL the time.

Sorry that I wrote all this when you were so nice to reply and let me know people are out there. I will post again after I talk to my Dr. tomorrow. So others will know in case they have this same problem.

Sorry so long!!

Cheri

Cheri,

Good luck with your appointment today. I think you are doing the right thing. I don't know anything about omnipaque (I know I have saline), but I think you need to refill your band with saline...just so you know. If it helps your symptoms, it sure is an easy fix. If it doesn't help, you know you need to work on the depression/hormonal side of things. I'm 49, too. I don't have depression, but I have felt the effects of the hormone changes on my body. I've seen friends in massive depressions at this time. It can be a long road to recovery.

Let us know how you are doing. I hope it's the omnipaque and you are better soon.

Cindy