Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am going into my 4th week post op and am starving! Okay not really but I am hungry. I guess some may be related to my monthly visitor but I am trying to make good food choices even if I have to snack. I haven't had a fill and am not scheduled for one until June 17. I have been enjoying Subway but no bread. I've been getting the Buffalo chicken 6 inch with lettuce Tomato onion and cucumber. I dump it all off the bread and eat it like a salad. I had that yesterday and want it again today. I this a really bad choice? I have found humor in the change in my tastes buds. Tried a french fry because they smelled so good and GROSS! Never could eat spicy before but LOVE it now. This is an amazing journey. My favorite was trying to pinch some cake from my son's birthday cake and couldnt swallow it, also GROSS.:biggrin:

You know, same thing is happening to me. My absolute favorite food was a hamburger. My 3 yr old fed me a bite of hers one night and I kept trying to say no but she's 3 and doesnt understand, so I picked the bread off and took a bite of the beef and thought I would get sick. It tasted AWFUL. Then, we were at a party and I tried a pinch of cake. I had to spit it out. And let me tell you about pizza. Cardboard now! I would rather eat ricotta and sauce topped with cheese!

I was told at one of my appointments that some patients actually loose their sweet tooth because of the band placement. Sweets were never my problem, breads were and I have had NO desire to even eat anything with bread since the surgery. It just looks gross now!

Weird huh?

Well I can tell you none of that has happened to me. Everything tastes just as good as it ever did. Ya'll are lucky.

Lost my sweet tooth totally amazing. I always had to have something sweet after dinner. I didn't know having the lap band surgery could make you loose your sweet tooth. I'm really kind of sad since it "ice cream" season. lol

I had read that could happen. I'm just now transitioning to food, so it will be interesting to see how it goes. I know for a while postop I was craving plain Water (after having pretty much ODd on Crystal Lite lemonade), whereas prior to surgery i couldn't drink plain Water for anything. I've always loved brownies. Took a bite of one (sooner than I should have) and not only did it not taste good, it got stuck (even without a fill... just postop swelling I guess) and came back up. I don't think i'll ever want another brownie as long as i live! It is an amazing thing!

As far as Subway, I'd say count the calories and watch the seasonings you put on it. If it fits with your dietary plan, calorie/carb wise then I suppose it's fine. Gotta eat somethin! Just be sure to get your Protein in. That's what everybody always says. haha. Just curious... how much of this are you able to hold at one sitting? I'm having trouble with the thought that 2-4 oz of food per meal is going to fill me up. Do you get more than one meal out of your "sandwich"? CathyB

Buffalo chicken is probably alright. Shouldn't have a lot of carbs since it's spicy not sweet. I assume it's not a fried piece of chicken. Great your not eating the bread. Not sure about the calorie count- may be higher than you'd like to think. I would see if subway has nutritional information.

i use this amazing website called "my daily plate" you might google it to make sure there are no other letters in the address, but with my daily plate you can search everyday foods like Subway or McDonald's or even foods you buy in the grocery store. It allows you to click "I ate this" and add it to your plate and see a running tab of your calories, carbs etc at the end of the day. You can even print them off and put them in a binder like I do aso that you know where you are "going wrong". I usually let my dietician look at it while I am in the office seeing my surgeon and she makes sticky notes for me inside so that I can make better choices. Give it a try. =)

Well, I eat everything off of the bread. The chicken lettuce 2 slices Tomato, 2 cucumber slices, onions, 2 (1/2) slice provalone and the only sauce is the hot sauce the chicken has on it. Using the Subway nutritional info. I subtracted the bread and ranch and added the cheese and this is what I come up with: CALORIES: 150, TOTAL FAT: 6, CHOLESTEROL: 60, SODIUM: 805, CARBS: 6, DIETARY FIBER: 1, SUGAR: 3, PROTEIN: 21, VIT. A: 10, VIT. C: 25, CALCIUM: 13. I think this is pretty good. It may be more than 1/2 a cup but with no fill eating that much and I am fuuuuuull. I think I have found a new fast food item.:Dancing_biggrin:

I use SparkPeople.com, and I too have a binder. Brownies still my favorite sweet.

Maybe you could get them to customize a salad for you with the same stuff and charge you less because you're not getting the bread? Not sure though, never tried to get a salad at Subway before. :Dancing_biggrin:

About the taste of food, that is so weird, I thought maybe I just was starting to get a cold because food wasn't tasting as good as it used to before the band. Nothing tastes yucky but it just doesn't taste as good as I remember it being before my pre-op diet.

In a way it's sad but really it's a blessing in disguise I guess.

I see so many posts about people being hungry all the time but for me I eat a little and I feel so full all the time. And that will lead me to being sleepy and wanting to nap like a bear.

Around here if subway can make a sub they can make it a salad. I have had them make me salads at subway and they are good. Taste like the sub without the roll!

You can get any sub into a salad, however, the buffalo chick sub is $4 and a salad is $5.50 and would be way more than I'd be able to eat and leftover are not great.

Around here if subway can make a sub they can make it a salad. I have had them make me salads at subway and they are good. Taste like the sub without the roll!

I know for a while postop I was craving plain Water (after having pretty much ODd on Crystal Lite lemonade), whereas prior to surgery i couldn't drink plain water for anything. CathyB

This is exactly how I was! I drank Crystal Light lemonade for 8 weeks....tasted so good to me. After surgery I tried it and it didn't taste good at all. I've turned into a waterholic. I drink it all day long!!!

The buffalo chicken from Subway sounds good, I may have to try that. As for losing sweet tooths and such, I wish...I still am craving chocolate as ever as I did before. Ate a brownie, still as good as before...it's a shame too, because I was hoping that I'd be one that lost my tastes for the bad stuff. Oh well...