Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's official

I'm booked in for my Slimband on August 12 at 11am

i think i'm going to be sick.

i hate change - at least instant ones but i know this is whats best for me.

i'll be nervous as anything the week before and scared to death the day of but i do know i'll be fine.

it's going to be a long 2 months until my surgery date but at least i'll be on vacation the entire month of july to keep my mind off it.

You have 2 and a half months. That is anything but "instant."

Start modifying to lifestyle today. Take small steps and you'll barely notice the changes.

Don't make drastic changes. Eat all of the same things you are now, just less of them.

Using smaller plates; taking smaller bites and chewing longer make this much easier.

oh i know 2.5 months isn't instant - i'm meaning one day i'm this way the next i've had surgery and my life changes.

thanks for the advice about the dishes - i wouldn't have thought of that. i'll have to go out and buy lunch plates and smaller bowls.

it's totally a mindset thing - smaller plate smaller portions.

Some people even use smaller flatware but I don't think it would matter that mush to me.

Let me reiterate, your life is not going to change drastically following surgery. It will change even less if you start practicing the rules now.

You are not going on a life long diet. Diets are bad. They leave you hungry and craving sweets.

You're altering your lifestyle and if you take it slow and easy, the change won't leave you wanting for much more.

Good luck!!

Hey Kurby! I know exactly how you feel...one day your just you and then the next day your going to be you but with some new hardware... I'm struggling with that too. I try to think about all the positive stuff that's going to come out of this, how good I will feel with less excess weight, how good I will look :rolleyes:, etc. My surgery is on June 24, and I'm kind of excited for my new journey! Good luck to you, think positive, and there is lots of support on this forum!

i'm glad you know what i'm feeling. i haven't had any surgery ever do i'm a bit nervous of how this is all going to end up.

but this time next year we'll be in the final stages of prep for visiting my aunt in england and i can't wait to finally be able to fit my fat butt in the seat and not feel pain from the seat belt.

Hi Kurby,

This is my first post and I just booked my surgery today for July 8th - YIKES! I am very nervous and I never get nervous! I'm mostly worried about the pre-op diet that I have to start in exactly a week. When do you start yours?

well i can't start any sooner then a week before because we'll be on holiday and only return about 9 days before my surgery.

however i don't have a specific diet that i have to follow - just high protine low fat.

i'm also buying Ensure high protine drinks - i lived off them while i was pregnant because i couldn't hold down anything during the day except that.

i already know what it tastes like and i'm fine with it as long as i add a little more milk to it to thin it out slightly

good luck with yours. how much do you want to lose?

If I lost 140lbs I'd be at my goal weight but part of me can't imagine being there. I haven't been that weight since high school! It would be nice though.

I have to do 3 weeks of a Protein Shake 3 times a day and only low glycemic vegies. I'm worried because during that time I have my sons grade 8 grad, my husbands high school reunion and a camping trip.

How long did you do the shakes for when you were pregnant?

3 weeks - holy cow - that's the longest i've heard anyone has to do

usually it's been 1-2 weeks - wow really hope it goes ok for you.

140 is what i want to lose too so this is good - we're only a month apart in surgery so we should be bandbuddies :thumbup:

the ensure was great for me. my morning sickness really was morning. i lost 35lbs in the first 6 months just from morning sickness.

i actually liked them so i don't see having a problem. i did them from about 6 weeks until the day i went into labour so 8 months

I know I was initially scared to do the two weeks I was expecting but now its three!

You sure had a rough pregnancy, wow! Good thing its worth it!

I have a 15 year old daughter and a 13 year old son. They are currently bickering behind me on the couch - LOL!!

I'm having my band done at the SWLC because of their awesome out of town patient accommodations. Who is doing yours?

I'm in Toronto so getting it done at Slimband.

15 and 13 - perfect age for boarding school LOL

my daughter is 4 1/2 acts sometimes 2 and sometimes 40 - :thumbup:

my mornings were rough - afternoons and evenings i loved being pregnant.

dh makes fun of me sometimes because i spent a lot of time on the cold bathroom floor kinda like when i was in my early 20's minus the parting the night before HAHAHAHA

I read your profile last night and was surprised to read that you get headaches when you don't eat enough. So do I! I often wondered if it was just in my head. LOL!! The surgeon wants me off motrin and advil for 2 weeks prior to surgery and I'm worried about that too.

I wasn't sick at all with my pregnancies, instead I gained most of my weight when I was pregnant. I was eating for 8 - LOL!! I probably weighted 180-190 when I got pregnant and 300 when I was ready to deliver. :(

I live in a small town in Northern Ontario. The other day I booked a pre-op with my GP for next week, he must be wondering what for and he is squeezing me in today at noon. I'm sure he'll be suportive.

ya - i was telling my mother that it was a concern of mine that i do get headaches but she thought it was because i don't eat enough Protein and that after being banded if i eat enough i should be ok. guess we'll see

i havent told my family dr that i'm getting the band. she's just a bit younger then me but has the "just get out and exercise" mindset.

i've been on all kinds of depression meds and had all kinds of blood work and tests that show there's nothing wrong so then it must be that i'm fat because i don't exercise. she once told me if she stranded me on an island for 35 days (al la survivor) i'd lose weight. ya ok cause that's doable.

sometimes i think dr's are very narrow minded and don't really understand their patients.

That's really too bad you don't have a supportive physician. I told mine today and he was really good. He said I have "given it the college try :)", and I have been successful in the past which shows I have discipline so I'm a great candidate. Whew, glad that went well. He said definitely no motrin or advil but he'll give me some tylenol with codeine incase the headaches get really bad. Things are falling into place and I'm getting really excited. One reason I want to do this now is that I have a really physical job that I want to keep doing for many years to come and I have no major health related problems yet and I don't want them to start.

I have never had a depression but my best friend does so I really feel for you. I was so worried to tell her about the band because she is very overweight as well, but it went better than I expected :eek:. I'm going to be the guinea pig for us- LOL!:(