Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Allergic to Whey Protein

I've just discovered that I am allergic to whey Protein. I've always gotten very congested when I eat too much dairy, but didn't really think much about it. I've been trying out different Protein powders in preparation for my post op diet and have discovered that I am more sensitive than I thought I was. I've tried three different brands of drinks and all of them make me feel like I have a frog in my throat. Its like I need to clear my throat but I can't. I called my sister, who is a FNP, and she said I might be allergic to it and suggested that I take a benedryll. The benedryll helped, so I guess that confirms it.

So the question now is what are my protein options? Everything seems to have whey protein in it. Can you suggest any alternatives for me?

I am also allergic to dairy. I do not have lactose intolerence, but a true allergy. I get an itchy throat, cough, my eustachian tubes plug up, I get ear infections from it. My allergist said that dairy allergy does not really respond to antihistamines.

I use soy Protein powder that I buy at Whole Foods health food Store. It is vanilla flavored. The chocolate has sugar in it so I do not use it. I mix one scoop with unsweetened soy milk and Crystal Light for flovor. It makes a drink with 31 grams of Protein, 4 grams of carbohydrates, and 5 grams of fat. I like mine thinner so I add Water and ice so I get 24 ounces of Water for each shake. It really fills me up. I dirnk one for Breakfast and it hold me until lunch.

Some people say soy gives them gas when they first start using it, so watch out for that.

I have also heard that some people use egg protein.

I have known I am allergic to dairy for many years and I feel so much better when I avoid it.

There are a variety of Protein powders out there--some made with soy, some with eggs, some with...well, other things :rolleyes:

Go to a store like GNC or Whole Foods, where they sell many different kinds of Protein and just look around. There are a lot of options out there!

I've just discovered that I am allergic to whey Protein. I've always gotten very congested when I eat too much dairy, but didn't really think much about it. I've been trying out different Protein powders in preparation for my post op diet and have discovered that I am more sensitive than I thought I was. I've tried three different brands of drinks and all of them make me feel like I have a frog in my throat. Its like I need to clear my throat but I can't. I called my sister, who is a FNP, and she said I might be allergic to it and suggested that I take a benedryll. The benedryll helped, so I guess that confirms it.

So the question now is what are my protein options? Everything seems to have whey protein in it. Can you suggest any alternatives for me?

I don't like the Protein Drinks period because it has milk and I am just not a fan of milk. I found these Protein Shots in fruit punch, not that bad and I can do it! Try them they are worth it!

Sandee

I use soy Protein. Love it. It's great for women- soy has natural estrogen so it really helps with my monthly cycle in making it more normal too. Heart benefits of soy can be found all over the internet... only thing- if you've had breast cancer or another "estrogen receptive" cancer you should avoid. My mom is a bc survivor and her doc told her no soy because of the natural estrogen...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll stop by Whole Foods tomorrow and see what I can find.

Soy is quite a dangerous food to eat much of on a daily basis, it can have associations with things like breast cancer due to the hormonal effects it has. I cant quote specific studies, so I'm not claiming to be any expert, but its been around in the media enough for it to be a concern.

I have managed five years of banded life without drinking a single Protein shake. I personally think they're an expensive ruse, entirely unecessary and if you eat properly (even in the post op liquid phase) you just dont need them, unless you need to lose weight in your wallet.

And its not just me, they're just not pushed here and tons of Australian bandsters are quite successful without Protein shakes.

That's a relief to hear you say. My sister was banded in February and only did Protein shakes when she was on the liquid phase. She has lost 40 pounds so far. I was worried that it would stall my weight loss if I didn't get enough Protein the first few weeks.

I have my pre-op appointment on Friday. I will talk to the nutritionist while I am there.

Thanks everyone for the replies.