Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Re-banded in June '10

I thought I would post my story for anyone who is interested. I wish I had turned to this site more after first being banded. I think it could have given me a lot of insightful information.

I was banded in April ’07. My weight was 220, and I’m 5’7. I am now 46 years old. It was a slow process, but by about 2 ½ years I was at a size 8 and loving life (was size 22). I don’t know how much I weigh, as I only use my clothes as a measure of my weight. I cannot tell you enough how much the band has changed my life….well, suffice it to say I have never been more happy in my life. I felt like it was the best thing I’ve ever done for myself. :)

About two years into the band, I got a fill (second one). It felt snug, but I did fine for many, many months. Then (about six months later) it felt like the band got tighter for no particular reason. I simply did not pay attention to the signs. I figured if I had made it this far, I’m out of the danger zone. I began throwing up at times when I never had before. I don't remember eating any differently. I kept thinking it would get better--that my esophagus was just swollen from the puking and if I just took it easy, it would heal. Well, it didn’t. I started losing so much weight because I couldn’t keep anything down. I could keep Fluid down, but it went down very slowly and I could feel that some would still ‘puddle’ in my throat. It left me waking up choking at night. I knew something was wrong. I was down to 120 lbs, and I was SCARED. I left immediately to see the doctor. One look and they knew right away…it had slipped and it had to be removed immediately. It was okay by me by this point, as I was so scared. My skin was hanging on me. The doctors told me I looked so good...as did everyone on the office. I had it removed that day. Little did I know I had to fork up $3,500.00 within a few hours. :smile: I had no insurance. This is something you don’t think about when you save up and plan for a band, that things could go wrong and you might need more money.

I miss my band tremendously. I gained weight immediately. Number one, because I was so dehydrated. I think I probably gained 10 pounds in just a few days due to that. I remember my first meal after being de-banded tasted like heaven. I hadn’t been able to eat, eat, eat. The band had taught me to enjoy my meals==the taste, the texture, the smell, but never being able to eat very much at all. I enjoyed a big Vietames dinner--my fav. :tt1: Before too long, my weight crept back up :sneaky:….and quickly. I thought maybe all that time of tolerating restriction would carry over with me even after having the band removed....wishful thinking...it didn't, unfortunately.

Well, I’m getting rebanded in two weeks for the second time. I’m a little nervous, as I hope my esophagus is healed and there will be no problems. I feel like I have learned from my mistake and this time I will be much more careful. I’m hoping for the best. :tongue2:

cactusmon-- Wow! First of all --- THANKS for posting your story. I was banded in spring 08 and I probably would have responded the same way you did. Now -- I will be more careful if I see a sudden change. I'm also thinking of you getting your second band. Best to you.

Great story... and thanks for sharing.. Praying you'll have a successful surgery and everything goes well.. This was a great insight as I'll be also careful what to look for...and you actually will get rebanded on my birthday.. that's a great day.. And all will go well.. Don't be scared..

Banded April 15th 2009

Thanks , guys. I wanted to warn anyone right after I had my band put in, on one of these forums, but I didn’t get around to it. So I will post it now for anyone who is thinking of getting the band. Here’s my story. I was banded in Mexico on a Friday. I was back home Sunday afternoon. On Sunday night at 9pm I was hovering over my kitchen sink. I couldn’t breath….literally. It was the most scariest thing I have ever experienced. I just kept thinking, “wow, I always wondered how I would die and this is it.” I managed to get to the telephone and my sister came over within 3 minutes. Luckily she lived only a few blocks away. She immediately called 911. I guess I kept thinking, how could anything happen to me, I’m so young and healthy. Thank God I was out of Mexico and back home.

Long story short, after a stay over night and one more day, they said I had had a pulmonary embolism. They found a blood clot in my leg which had traveled to my lungs, filling my lungs with blood (which by the way I was puking up over the sink).

This is more common than you would think in patients who have had any kind of surgery. The Argentina model Solange Magnano recently died from one after buttock implants. She wasn’t even 40 years old. NBC newsman, David Bloom died of one, and he was very healthy too. I think Kanye West’s mom died of one too. I just want everyone to be aware of this, because they don’t tell you about something like this occurring. They said I would have died if I hadn’t gotten help within 10 minutes of when I called. Don’t want to scare anyone—just to be aware of these signs and get to a doctor IMMEDIATELY. Anyway, this is the only reason I’m a bit nervous about my second banding.

Luckily, I had insurance. Total cost for this was $15,000. I had to cough up $1,000.

Edited by cactusmom