Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

World's most fattening Holiday foods....

This article was on yahoo today and I thought it was very interesting. ~Mandy

http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/fatfood_1.html

a few years ago my cousin (who has a weight problem) made this "queso" type dip but it had rotel, cream cheese, and sausage and served with fritos. It was the most fattening calorie ridden thing I've ever seen. It was ok tasting but so not worth the calories. I am so glad I have my band this holiday to save me from that kind of stuff!!!!

My husbands grandmother uses 4 sticks of butter in her turkey, 4 whole sticks. 1 melted and rubbed on the skin so it is nice and brown and then the other 3 go in the bird and she uses them to baste with, OMG, 4 whole sticks of butter. I am soooo glad that we are having roasted chicken at my house instead. ~Mandy

mmmm turkey! My momma bakes hers. Doesn't use any butter, but its always perfectly moist and delicious (my momma's never cooked a bad dish in her life lol). My dad on the other hand, deepfries his turkey (Yes, I'm from South Carolina LOL). I gotta admit though, it tastes wonderful, and probably just because its laden with fat. *shrugs* .. its one day a year - in my opinion, one day doesn't blow a lifestyle of healthy choices, just makes ya feel guilty and bloated for a day or two :)

I miss Thanksgiving, living in Oz.

Edited to say: Pardon my manners!! Thanks Mandy for the link :) It was a really interested read :D And of course, some of my family favorites top the list lol...

My family favorites are all there too, we are from Florida and Alabama. I LOVE deepfried turkey, 2 years ago we had a friend fry one for us and my mom and I were fighting over the nice crispy brown skin, lets just say there were forks involved and leave it at that. My all time fave is sweet potato casserole, and my mom makes it better than anyone on the planet, I am going to have at least one serving of that with my roasted chicken. I will also have it later in the day as dessert and then again for Breakfast the next day, at 2am before my black friday shopping starts. ~Mandy

My family favorites are all there too, we are from Florida and Alabama. I LOVE deepfried turkey, 2 years ago we had a friend fry one for us and my mom and I were fighting over the nice crispy brown skin, lets just say there were forks involved and leave it at that. My all time fave is sweet potato casserole, and my mom makes it better than anyone on the planet, I am going to have at least one serving of that with my roasted chicken. I will also have it later in the day as dessert and then again for breakfast the next day, at 2am before my black friday shopping starts. ~Mandy

LOL .. I make a sweet potato casserole and eat it like that as well, generally, until the whole pan is gone. Don't reckon I can accomplish that this year though hehe.

My MIL makes the best brandy butter to go with Christmas pudding! Oh man, that stuff is heaven.

But for Christmas we dont really overdo it. We normally have pork, turkey and ham, but as we've established before I think Australian meats are way leaner, we just do them au natural in the Weber (kettle BBQ) so without any added fat or dressing, serve them with salads and a we have a seafood platter too, its a big meal but generally healthy and low fat - till the christmas pudding comes out.

What's a killer for me is the alcohol over the festive season. Its just every day, a few champagnes, lots of wine. We dont do egg nog or any of that stuff, given its usually boiling hot at christmas time here, the middle of summer.

I just try to make Christmas day ONE day only, we dont have lots of leftovers and we dont have lots of chocolates, lollies and the like.

What does me in when actually going away is a couple of wines everyday and the cheeses, pates, dips and crackers that always seem to come out pre dinner and the baking everyone does that comes out with the port after dinner! I really pork up badly on holidays and its just from picking, not eating huge quanities at once.

I thank God so much for my band! I remember how life used to revolve around food, and how on the holidays it was even more so.

Now, my life can revolve around the things that matter most, like my family. The yummy food that day is just an added bonus, not to mention knowing that I can't stuff too much in like I used to.