Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Return To Golf?

I am interested in how long it took those of you who play golf to get back on the course after surgery? I searched the archives of past posts and only found one thread from over a year ago so I thought I would try and update it. I am scheduled for a June 8th surgery and have family coming to visit the first two weeks of July. We usually manage to get 3-4 rounds in and I am hoping that I might be up to playing a couple the last week they are here. But I am unsure of just how sore I will be or how much my mobility will be limited 2-3 weeks out from surgery. Do you think I’ll be able to pull it off?

If you make the usual rapid recovery, you should be able to get at least 'some' golfing in by that time frame.

Although I no longer golf due to other issues, by Day 3 post op I was carrying a few pieces of firewood from the wood shed, and within a week chopping and stacking same.

Normal mobility returns rapidly in most folks.

Cheers on your journey.

Three weeks after surgery i had to jump in the Water to save a kid and when i pulled myself back in the boat it was tuff...i had swelling for weeks in my stomach...i know it was more pulling/strain then golf but just be careful..i was swinging the club about a month after the swelling.

I am so glad you brought this up! I play 6 times a month on avg. I am playing tomorrow, two days before my surgery. Gonna get my last round in. My Dr told me I should have no problem after # weeks. I hope I am up for it. I will bring a Protein Shake with me so I can get through the round. I will repost when I get to play and let you know how I made out. If all goes well I should have an answer by Sunday the 13th, 2 days shy of my 3 weeks. If not definetely the 20th. FORE!!!:thumbup:

Thanks for the responses guys. There may be hope yet. Joe, hope you had a great round yesterday and a better day tomorrow! Keep us updated on your surgery.

You should be able to play atleast 1 round. I went to the rang last night after getting cleared by the Dr. I hit 40 balls no problem with the swing itself. My only issue is with the fatigue. I had to take a few breaks doing it. I hope to play tomorrow but i may even sit out a few holes. We will see. To your benefit, you have 3 weeks to heal before. But honestly, 3 rounds might be over doing it. Watch the heat and stay hydrated!

I figured I would give future readers an update. I hade my surgery on June 8th and played four full rounds the first two weeks of July with no problems or pain. I even rewarded myself for my first 30 pounds lost with a new TaylorMade Driver and Callaway Hybrid. Thanks everbody who gave me their input. It eased my mind about hitting the links. Now if I can just get my score down.

Scott, CONGRATS ON EVERYTHING! :) I am down 41lbs total and I am noticeing a lot of changes in my golf swing. Unfortunately, very eratic. But with some more practice its gonna be great. I am already driving the ball 20-30yds farther. I am just all over the place. Its all good! Keep up the good work.

Ooops, found this thread after I started my own. Does this sound like slippage?

Golf and the Band Questions

I have been about 60 days since my Band with No Complications to speak of. I went Golfing last week and I have a little muscle pain that persisted under my ribs on the left side. It is were I "imagine" my banded part of my stomach is. The day after I golfed I got a small fill, which seemed to increase the muscle pain in that area.

My question is if a Golf Swing like Motion can do any damage to the band itself and the tubes it is attached too. Maybe I am being paranoid, but all of my other muscle pain has completely subsided.