Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Counting carbs post-op?

Pre-op I had to count my Protein as well as my carb intake. Now that my diet is advancing and I can have things that I wasn't allowed before like skim milk with carnation instant Breakfast or farina I'm having a lot more carbohydrates. I use the no sugar added carnation mix and sugar free puddings, popcicles etc. But I've noticed my carbohydrate count is up there! I'm still on full liquids so I know my choices are limited. I just want to know what others have done... Did you focus on the carbohydrate intake at this point?

The best thing to focus on is Protein. Your MD or RD (dietitian) will tell you how much you need each day. If you meet your protein needs and limit portions sizes according to the nutrition guidelines, you don't have to worry about grams of carbohydrates because there won't be any room for "too many CHOs". Even after you begin eating solids, always make sure you meet your protein requirements with each meal. When we lose wt, we lose some muscle with the fat, however making sure you get all of your protein and exercising regularly will spare some of that muscle loss. The more muscle or lean mass you have the more efficiently you will burn calories. That's my "dietitian" answer 'cause that's what I do for a living. (Ironic, huh?)

From my experience living with the band for the past 10 months, there are times when I don't concentrate on meeting my protien needs and eat things that are high in simple sugars and fat. Even though I can't eat as much of those things as I did pre op, it's halts my weight loss, and leave me feeling tired. Hope that helps... Keep up the good work!

Yes, I've kept a close eye on carbs all along. I journal my intake on Fitday, so even though I primarily focus on getting enough Protein, I do aim to keep carbs <50 g/day---from veggies/fruits/legumes.

I lose best this way, and don't find it difficult because there is finite stomach space.

I've never counted carbs and in fact eat a more wholegrain carb based diet. It works better for me. I never had any trouble losing weight, although it was slow I guess - 2 years for 100lb, I had a BMI of 36 to start with. I actually dont consider that slow but I know others would.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BetterLeah

Woohoo! I have 7 more days till surgery, So far I am already down a total of 20lbs since I started this journey. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NeonRaven8919

Well done! I'm 9 days away from surgery! Keep us updated!

• Ladiva04

Hello,
      I had my surgery on the 25th of June of this year. Starting off at 117 kilos.😒
      · 1 reply
      1. NeonRaven8919

Congrats on the surgery!

• Sandra Austin Tx

I’m 6 days post op as of today. I had the gastric bypass 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • RacMag  »  bhogue925

Hi, I’m new here. I’m currently on the liver shrinking diet. So far so good, but I have to say I haven’t found a protein shake I like. Anyone have any suggestions please? My surgery date is September 17th. 
      · 2 replies
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife Core are by far the best. They taste just as they are - chocolate milk. You can either get the 26 grams or the 42 grams (harder to find and more expensive). For straight protein look at Bulksuppliments.com ..they have really good whey proteins and offer auto ship plus they test for purity. No taste or smell...

2. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife has strawberry, vanilla and of course chocolate. No more calories than other protein drinks. Stay away from Premiere, they're dealing with lawsuits due to not being honest about protein content.

• Doctor-Links

HGH For Sale
      hgh for sale at our online pharmacy

Human growth hormone (HGH) is a small protein which is made in part of the brain called the pituitary gland. It travels in your bloodstream all over your body to make your body grow.
      HGH is very important in the body. It is needed for children to grow normally. It helps make sure there is enough muscle and fat in the body. It keeps our bones healthy.
      Buy Rybelsus online, Rybelsus tablets
      You can order for wegovy at our online pharmacy
      Check for the prices of 0.25mg, 0.5mg and 1mg at our online pharmacy and buy ozempic.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches