Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lots of Questions

As most of you all know, I'm really new to this. I've read several different sites and have done lots of research over the past few weeks. However, if I ask something stupid, then just bare with me - because there are still some things that I'm confused about and some questions that I have.

So, here goes...

- How do they do the fills? I have one person tell me that they put you under an x-ray machine in order to find the port, numb you, and then stick a looonnnngggg needle in your skin and that's how they do it. But just recently someone told me that you have an open spot on the side of your body and the port is there and once you get to your desired weight, then they close the open spot up. They said that the opening is covered with a tightly sealed patch at all times to prevent infection. Some insight on this would be nice...

- Do the fills hurt? Is there a lot of pain after you are filled? And how often do they perform the fills?

- Once you reach your desired weight, is the band loosened, or does it remain tight?

- At what point after the surgery are you allowed to eat normal foods?

- I took a look at some of the pre-surgery diets as well as the post surgery, and aren't you people STARVING? What keeps you from being so hungry? How long are you on a liquid diet?

- How long after surgery were you able to return to work? I'm considering getting my surgery on spring break, so that gives me roughly a week to get surgery and recover and be back on my feet to return to work and school. Do you think this is a good idea?

- Does the doctor put you on a specific diet or do you choose the diet that you are most comfortable with? I'm talking about after the liquid diets and everything is said and done, and you're making your lifestyle changes.

OK, I think that's all I can think of for now. If y'all could answer these, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much :)

But just recently someone told me that you have an open spot on the side of your body and the port is there and once you get to your desired weight, then they close the open spot up. They said that the opening is covered with a tightly sealed patch at all times to prevent infection. Some insight on this would be nice...

NOOOO!!!! That's wrong info. The port is under your skin, like a disk placed face-up from inside your belly wall, stitched into place. The needle is long but it only goes in as far as the port. My port is maybe a 1/4 inch under my skin? Who knows, but I can feel it hard and smooth and round. Some people have deeper ports and need a longer needle. It's a special non-coring needle by Inamed. My doc gives me a numbing shot but I doubt it would hurt that terrible bad. I think the numbing helps more with being less sore for the first hour, I dunno. I don't have flouro fills so someone else will need to answer that. But fills don't hurt when they are donw properly. Sore is not HURT.

Whew, I gotta boogie or I'd tackle all your questions...I'll check back later, but really really wanted to clear up that no open or even covered wounds are involved in Lap Banding. Nope.

Well I can answer some.

Normal food after surgery: I am entering week 5 after surgery and I'm now allowed to have normal food. But every doctor's diet is different.

Port: My port is right between my boobs under my bra line... yep!

Fills: Haven't had a fill yet so can't answer that one. My fill is going to be some time in January, 2+ months after my surgery.

Pre-op Diet: I didn't have a pre-surgery diet, I ate anything and everything right to the day b/4 surgery.

Time off: Everyone is different on how they feel after surgery. Some people go back in one week. I am taking 6 weeks b/c I have the time to do so and I'm glad I am.

Doc diet or me diet: I choose what i want to eat but I'm watching my calories and trying to make healthy choices, I mean thats why I had the surgery...to get healthy.

- How do they do the fills? I have one person tell me that they put you under an x-ray machine in order to find the port, numb you, and then stick a looonnnngggg needle in your skin and that's how they do it. But just recently someone told me that you have an open spot on the side of your body and the port is there and once you get to your desired weight, then they close the open spot up. They said that the opening is covered with a tightly sealed patch at all times to prevent infection. Some insight on this would be nice...

- Do the fills hurt? Is there a lot of pain after you are filled? And how often do they perform the fills?

- Once you reach your desired weight, is the band loosened, or does it remain tight?

- At what point after the surgery are you allowed to eat normal foods?

- I took a look at some of the pre-surgery diets as well as the post surgery, and aren't you people STARVING? What keeps you from being so hungry? How long are you on a liquid diet?

- How long after surgery were you able to return to work? I'm considering getting my surgery on spring break, so that gives me roughly a week to get surgery and recover and be back on my feet to return to work and school. Do you think this is a good idea?

- Does the doctor put you on a specific diet or do you choose the diet that you are most comfortable with? I'm talking about after the liquid diets and everything is said and done, and you're making your lifestyle changes.

1) My fills are done by the nurse practitioner at my surgeon's office. She doesn't use flouro or an x-ray but rather does them by touch. She injects lidocane to numb the area and then does the fill. I don't feel either of the needles. Kathy's correct. They do not leave an open spot to access your port. It's under the skin and you can feel it when you push a bit on your tummy.

2) So, no my fills don't hurt, during or after. Your fills are performed on an individual needs basis. I've had 2 fills in the span of 2 weeks because the 1st fill wasn't enough. I'm scheduled for another one on Dec. 6th but will push it back if I don't feel it's necessary at the time.

3) If I remember correctly, once you've reached your desired weight, they may loosen it a bit so that you are just maintaining.

4) I was allowed normal foods 2 weeks after surgery. Every doctor and everyone is different. Your band will tell you what you can and cannot eat. My doctor just suggests that after you've had the band placed, try one new thing at a time (i.e. don't try 2 new things during the same meal).

5) I was only on liquids the day before surgery. It was a bit difficult but it was manageable. Prior to that, I wasn't put on a pre-surgery diet but was advised to lose a few lbs. because it's good for removing any extra fat around your liver. I lost 2 lbs. prior to surgery. As far as post-surgery, the only times I've truly been hungry was when I waited too long to eat. And, it was nothing like the pre-surgery hunger. Believe me, you get full very quickly with the band. Just don't overeat, or you'll PB or throw up......throwing up is a big NO NO.

6) I'm self-employed so I work at home. But, I was able to get back to work 3 days after surgery. I think a week would be sufficient. Just make sure you tell your employer ahead of time that you're having surgery and that, although you'll be back after Spring Break, you might not be up to your full potential because you're still healing. Better safe than sorry, you know.

7) Refer to number 4

Thanks so much to everyone who answered my questions :) I really appreciate it. I'm calling on Monday to see if they can move my appointment to Tuesday so I can get in a month earlier. I'll be so preoccupied in thinking about this if I don't talk to her about it soon. So, cross your fingers that they'll still be able to fit me in.

Thanks again :)