Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update: My surgery is over and now for another question

I am really suprised at how easy this all has been. I am sore in the stomach area but that is all. I was able take Water immediately (in fact was dying for some), breath in that STUPID tube thing , and walk pretty easily and now just waiting for everything to heal up.

Tonight has been a long night though, I can't sleep for more than an hour or two at time. Bleh. Question: Do you have to sleep on your back? Does a heating pad help more than an icepack?

Hey jini,

i was banded on tues and found myself to sleep more comfortably on my back for the first few nights.

today is day 4 and i fell asleep today watching tv..lol...on my right hand side and it was very comfortable.

just dont sleep on the side of ur port, cause i think that woulkd get uncomfortable.

Good to know! So we CAN sleep on our side if we choose to? Good to know.

Did you feel worse the days following your surgery. It's been more than 13 hours and i dont know whether this is just the honeymoon phase or what. :)

Hey jini,

i was banded on tues and found myself to sleep more comfortably on my back for the first few nights.

today is day 4 and i fell asleep today watching tv..lol...on my right hand side and it was very comfortable.

just dont sleep on the side of ur port, cause i think that woulkd get uncomfortable.

i felt the worse on day 2 (24hrs)

that was the night i was tossing and turning all nite like u have

trust me it gets betta, the pain for me is hardly any now , so each day gets betta

i had the exact same experience. even on the first night i couldn't sleep comfortably on my back and when the surgeon popped in that was one of the few questions i asked. the othher was one about wine and thanksgiving, but we won't get into that. but she just said that if it doesn't hurt, feel free to sleep on your side. here's to a good night's sleep!

Dear Jini,

I have been following your progress and I wanted to give Congratulations! All the worry behind. I'm proud of you.

Hugs,

Dutchgirl, thank you so much for your post, it made me feel really good! And thanks to all for the good advice!

Dear Jini, I am following your progress, being banded on tues. Did you start on liquids before your surgery? This is day two and I feel I have a lot of time on my hands. Reading posts and getting excited and wanting the time to go faster now.

Great to hear that you are doing so well, a good attitude is worth so much. Keep up the good work nd I shall be there soon.

Debra

Congratulations Debra, yes I started my liquids a week before surgery (and blew it...) didn't actually follow liquid diet until 5 days before the surgery (it was not fun then either) but i survived (somehow). Post surgery wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...working on day 3 now i guess seeing as how it is after midnight. Last night was the worst for some reason, I think I should have broken down and taken some gas x. Oh well nothing too terrible and I have had no need for pain medicine. My biggest complaint is that I haven't had a night where i've slept full nights sleep yet, but it'll happen.

Goodluck and keep in touch!

Jini

Jini -- I am a committed side sleeper and at 4 weeks still find that if I sleep on my side I am sore in the AM -- even snugglin up with a body pillow is not much help. So I am (for now) a back sleeper. I will say that it is becoming less and less of a problem. I think everything in there just has to heal up and then sleeping on your tummy or side should be fine............Congrats on your surgery. Listen to your body.....get well soon!

Dear Jini,

So all I get so far is the sleeping problem and maybe gas. I am making sure I have gas X around, I know how that can be a problem with discomfort. I woke up at 5 this morning and was stressing. I guess I try to be so stoic, and not tell too many people, first of all what I am doing and yet ZI want support. that is why I come here. having people understand and be so close to knowing just what things feel like. I leaned over to my husband and said, I am sore andscared this morning. counting the hours left to go to the hosp. I need to call the Dr's office and make sure I can get any meds beforehand, for I come home and it is Thanksgiving the next day, nothing open.

I am also hoping I can log on to any wireless in the hosp. I do need to check emails for business and want to be able to write in if I feel like it. I don't plan to use the laptop, but It is such a part of my life, I always bring the "spare" one for emergencies. Another day of liquids to get me ready for the big day tues. I am glad to be getting the experience without the discomfort. I can sleeep with my night meds, but waking up just gets the brain going.

Thanks for the support. I am reading aboiut you all who have been banded for awhile, so inspiring, and every one just banded, listening to the smallest things, for they mean so much. We have so much in common, with this change of life. My thanksgiving is my new life!!!

Duyesaka, I have a strong sense of what you are talking about. I am the same way. I don't like anyone really close to know something is wrong, or how i'm feeling, but at the same time I want them to realize that I don't feel good, and that I am scared and am just putting on a show. It's insane and unhealthy (for me) and yet it is just who I am.

Thankfully I have not had many problems with the band yet. This is day three and I feel great! I am aware of 1 incision (i think that's where my port is) and that's about it. Before hand I was TERRIFIED! I was scared that I would go through post surgery blues, regret my decision, never be normal again, worried about the loss of food, worried that I would always be sick feeling because I would not get enough food into my system. Worried that I will not lose weight. Thankfully though I have not taken any pain medicine or Gas X (i don't enjoy medicine) but I don't feel like I needed it. My back has been a bit sore and uncomfortable from me always being on it (in bed or in a chair) but even that hasn't been terrible, i haven't had any problems drinking my Water or doing my breathing. So as it stands I am VERY excited about my decision. I think I did the right thing and I feel great! I still have a few concerns but they are falling to the back of my mind. Hang in there, it's scary before hand, but your surgery date will be here before you know it and hopefully you too will be thinking that it is not as bad as you had anticipated, and that it was well worth it! We are here for you! Keep in touch and CONGRATULATIONS! YOU ARE ALMOST THERE!