Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapbanded, and years ahead, dementia, unable to follow eating rules.

I've been approved for LAP-BAND® by insur company and was looking forward to it until I thought of something over the weekend which is having me re-think this. I'm 58, young enough not to worry about dementia anytime soon, but both parents in advanced life did have dementia so I'm at a certain amount of risk. I'm single, no children - no one to keep up with what's happening to me on a day by day basis. My concern is if I should slowly start developing dementia and unable to be mindful of how much I'm eating, what I'm eating, eating slow - and perhaps not able to remember at all if I've already eaten. Without my understanding why or ability to correlate pain in the esophagous or frequent throwing up, I could be in a world of trouble. Although I've researched LAP-BAND® ad nauseum (no pun intended, LOL) for a few years prior to making the decision to go forward with it, haven't ever seen this issue addressed. How has that situation been handled with early lapbanders who may be advancing in age and having lapses of memory?

I don't mean to be flippant, but if you get to the stage where you don't know how much you are eating or what you are eating, surly you will be having some kind of care!

I know dementia can be hereditary and it can also hit anyone, but I feel I am warding it and other illnesses off by being healthier, eating healthy foods and exercising. Since losing the weight I have, I feel younger in body, mind and spirit!

Good luck with your decision.

Regards, Viv (age 61, but feeling 31!)

I've had arguments on here before with fans of other WL surgeries who like to get on here and band bash. One guy insists that adjustability is no advantage, that it makes the band a poor choice.

Old age was the first thing that came to mind for me for that one. My grandad went through a long period where he lost his swallowing ability and damn near died several times from choking. My nanna got and my auntie (her daughter) is getting - absolutely skeletal in old age, I share their body type. Both reasons to my way of thinking for being able to completely unfill the band, but not necessarily need another surgery.

But the best thing is, if your family decides the band must come out, then it can come out and you will have a stomach in one piece. It probably wouldnt function entirely normally after all that time, and you might well end up on a pureed diet (but a lot of old people do) but it can come out.

You're right, you need your wits about you eating with a band, but at least it can be adjusted.

Of course I'd need full time care if I got that bad, but what I'm concerned about are the years that lead up to that point. Some of you may have experienced with your aging parents that they ask the same questions over and over. Often times, the children become impatient, and say "You've asked me the same question 10 times now!", not realizing the parent is not purposely not paying attention but its the early onset of dementia. If anyone has had hands on experience with loved ones with dementia and understands my point, I would appreciate hearing from you.

I don't see this as a problem. If you get to the stage where the band is causing problems when you eat then have it unfilled.

Your family will notice that you are having problems eating even if you can't remember the cause.I assume you will be telling them about the band?

At least by having the band in the first place you have a far better chance of surviving long enough to possibly get dementia.

Hmmm. I'm 59 and I hadn't thought about this- my grandmother had dementia for over 20 years.

But I figure I would rather be healthier for the intervening years, and do my best to let my caretakers when the time comes know about how to deal with the band. You can designate health care power of attorney also.

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it- or near to it.

I think it's wise to let people know your concerns--and to designate healthcare proxies so that, in the event that you do run into difficulties, they can be addressed.

I will have to make modifications to mine, now---so thank you for mentioning this.

That said, I choose to be healthier in the time between now and my eventual decline in old age. And actually, I believe addressing my obesity will vastly reduce the degree to which I decline.