Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone spirt a gusher of blood after fill needle removed?

Had my 4th fill yesterday 1cc for a total of 8.25 in my 14cc LapBand AP Band. No pain or problems with the first 3 fills, no pain or discomfort at all. This time, after syringe was removed after adding the additional 1cc fill, Dr put on a band-aid, starting writing his notes and noticed my shirt stained with a huge blood spot! He removed the band-aid, replaced with a larger thick gauze pad with surgical tape and the bleeding immediately stopped. He apologized, I rinsed my shirts in his sink with cold Water to remove the blood and left the office till my next fill. What the hell did he hit? It freaked me out, and HIM too?

Hi Phil,

I don't have an answer to your question and have not experienced that yet. Hope I don't because I would be on the floor! HA HA. Just wanted to see how your progress was going.

I am going for my 4th fill next week. So far each time they have just added 1cc. The 3rd fill was the first time I have experienced any food getting stuck. So I guess my restriction is finally working. Up until now, I feel the weight I have lost 23 pounds is pretty due to the surgery and post diet and I have stopped eating bread and soda pop. They keep telling me I am doing good, but have not had any big drops since my surgery, primarily because I can still eat most anything. chicken has become difficult this last fill.

My sister had this surgery and has lost 100 pounds in a year. She keeps telling me it will get better that I just haven't found my sweet spot yet. I'm hoping you will tell me the same as I can still eat way too much portion wise.

Take care,

Deb

There are lots of little blood vessels that can spurt like crazy when they're breached by a syringe.

No biggie--it happens. It's not dangerous--just messy and a little scary to see :w00t:

cntryheart, I had surgery on Jan 12, 2010, day of the Haitian Earthquake, started at 286, BMI 44.3 now 4 months later down to 246....40 lbs! Most of it was lost during the first 2 months.. Nothing last month, just 4 pounds this month. No restriction whatsoever yet. I`m happy not to have experienced choking, PB, sliming, etc..yet! I can eat anything and everything. All meats, veggies,rice, bread. I keep my bread intake to a minimum, still have a few flat diet sodas, and a few Lite Beers too. Although I can tolerate and eat still large portions, I don`t. The only reason I know so far that I`m "banded" is that I have no hunger even if I don`t eat for 18 hours. I still have appetite but little hunger? I still have head dreams about pizza and bbq but only indulge rarely. I need to exercise more too! My goal is 3 to 5 pounds per month with hopefully not many plateaus.

BetsyB is right...they just hit a little blood vessel. When I was doing IVF and getting shots in my butt every night, my husband would occasionally hit a bleeder and nearly pass out (he hates blood). Never had any issues with them except a bruise now and then.