Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHtR: The New Determinant of Health Risk

This article just came through on some newsletter that I am subscribed to.Apparently waist to height ratio is more important than BMI when determining health risk.

Whtr: The New Determinant Of Health Risk | LIVESTRONG.COM

After reading this I'm stuffed! There is no hope, as a natural apple I may as well give up now.

I am 5' (153cm) and have a waist measurement of 32"(81cm).According to the calculator I found Waist-to-Height Ratio

this gives me a ratio of 53.3. This puts me in the overweight - close to seriously overweight category.

So what is the problem you may ask? Well my BMI is 22 - well within the normal range. When I saw my Dr last week I was told categorically that I must NOT lose any more weight. She says I can't afford to as I will be too skinny. She was probably looking at my legs - I was wearing leggings (Aus size 6).

So what do I do.How do you lose weight from 1 area and not the rest. As far as I know there still isn't any effective way of spot reducing. When you lose you lose all over and have no say in where it comes off.

Maybe the only solution is Lipo or a tummy tuck! LOL.:smile2:

It's just one measure. And like BMI, it's not accurate for all. It has limitations, just like any tool. All you can do is work to be as healthy as you can be in the body you have.

My weight is evenly distributed--but as you can see from my stats, the numbers say I am obese. (Not morbidly any more, but still...)

According to this measurement, I am overweight. Not even seriously overweight. It pleases me--but it does not fool me. My WtHR has always been "good." And that doesn't amount to a hill of Beans if I'm hauling an extra 80 pounds around! My risks may be lower than someone my weight with a different fat distribution--and I'm glad for that. But it doesn't change the fact that the extra weight (which you no longer have!) poses a risk.

Take it with a big hunk of salt.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Ladiva04

Hello,
      I had my surgery on the 25th of June of this year. Starting off at 117 kilos.😒
      · 1 reply
      1. NeonRaven8919

Congrats on the surgery!

• Sandra Austin Tx

I’m 6 days post op as of today. I had the gastric bypass 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • RacMag  »  bhogue925

Hi, I’m new here. I’m currently on the liver shrinking diet. So far so good, but I have to say I haven’t found a protein shake I like. Anyone have any suggestions please? My surgery date is September 17th. 
      · 2 replies
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife Core are by far the best. They taste just as they are - chocolate milk. You can either get the 26 grams or the 42 grams (harder to find and more expensive). For straight protein look at Bulksuppliments.com ..they have really good whey proteins and offer auto ship plus they test for purity. No taste or smell...

2. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife has strawberry, vanilla and of course chocolate. No more calories than other protein drinks. Stay away from Premiere, they're dealing with lawsuits due to not being honest about protein content.

• Doctor-Links

HGH For Sale
      hgh for sale at our online pharmacy

Human growth hormone (HGH) is a small protein which is made in part of the brain called the pituitary gland. It travels in your bloodstream all over your body to make your body grow.
      HGH is very important in the body. It is needed for children to grow normally. It helps make sure there is enough muscle and fat in the body. It keeps our bones healthy.
      Buy Rybelsus online, Rybelsus tablets
      You can order for wegovy at our online pharmacy
      Check for the prices of 0.25mg, 0.5mg and 1mg at our online pharmacy and buy ozempic.
      · 0 replies
    • Doctor-Links

hgh kaufen  in unserer Online-Apotheke  
      Menschliches Wachstumshormon (HGH) ist ein kleines Protein, das in einem Teil des Gehirns, der Hypophyse, produziert wird. Es wandert in Ihrem Blutkreislauf durch Ihren ganzen Körper, um Ihren Körper wachsen zu lassen.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches