Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I drink a lot of 1% milk. Is there something that would be better for me, aside from nonfat milk? You know, the stuff that looks like Water, can't do that. But, I am hoping there is something out there that taste's good that may be better to drink. Thank you in advance for your advice. :)

Well, milk is a good food---but it's just that: a food. And as such, it really should be used in moderation.

In other words, it's not really a beverage that you should "drink a lot" of; it should be approached as a whole food that is part of your meal plan.

It is important to get plenty of Fluid, and you certainly can count milk toward your Fluid quota, for hydration purposes. But for nutrition/weight loss purposes, most of your beverages should be non-caloric.

Drinking milk in any quantity can pretty much wipe out your calorie allotment for the day. At 110 calories a cup, it adds up. (Even skim, at 86 or so per cup adds up.)

Still, I would try to make the switch to skim--you can start by mixing 1% with skim, then slowly decreasing the amount of 1% you use. Calorie concerns aside, your body simply does not need the saturated fat that 1% provides. Your heart and blood vessels will thank you.

I have been using almond milk because it's lower in carbs than cow's milk (which may not be a concern to you) and also because I've become lactose intolerant postop. It's really good. But when I use it, it's my meal---I mix it with Protein powder for a meal-replacement shake when my band is tight.

I think its a matter of what you get used to. I've been drinking skim milk virtually all my life, since I was about 10. My children have never drunk anything else once past infancy. I dont actually drink milk though, I use it on Cereal and in coffee.

Full cream milk makes me feel nauseous, its disgusting! That's because I'm not used to milk having a creamy taste.

I'd just suck it up and get used to it. Its like the sugar in coffee thing. I cant believe people use artificial sweeteners on a daily basis like that, when two weeks with no sugar in your coffee, and you're used to it. Its one of the easier dietary challenges to master!

I have moved to using Almond Milk. It has a very creamy consistency and I don't think it has a strong flavor. Now, it does not give you the Protein or Calcium of regular milk, but if you are getting this elsewhere then this is a good choice. I use it as the base of my morning shakes and my partner, a real milk-aholic, uses it in her Cereal. We tried rice milk and soy but this tastes the best. And at 60 calories a cup, it is very low in that area.

The refrigerated Almond Breeze, while 6 grams lower in Protein per serving than skim milk, has 30% of the RDA for Calcium.< /p>

The Soy Slender also is pretty darn good as a replacement, has more Protein than almond or rice milk, and is VERY low in carbs. I've heard good things about hemp milk too, but I haven't tried it.

I'd been on skim cow's milk for years, but finally eliminated entirely as a beverage within the last year or so. My kids still drink skim milk every once in a while, and I cook with skim milk when milk is called for in a recipe (or use dry milk in baking).

I mix the Soy Slender with Protein Powder to make a Creamer, higher-Protein shake, especially if I'm in a rush and have to squeeze in a meal. It's quite tasty, as such things go. :)

It comes in chocolate, vanilla, and Cappucino flavors. I like the vanilla, but my kids think the chocolate is pretty good, and I imagine if you like coffee (I don't), the Cappucino would make a great creamer.

I can just tell you that I do the vanilla soy milk from silk I really like it in my oatmeal better then Water or skim milk which taste like water'

My surgeon does not want ANY of my calories coming from liquids, because they do not satsify for any real length of time. Calcium and Vitamin D can be supplemented.

That said, I explained to him my LOVE of milk with my dinner. He said it would be fine if I had a small glass. He also did not give me the no drinking with a meal rule. He just said that I might not have room for it, and to try it and see how it goes.

Generally I don't drink much with meals, but I also can't tell much difference either way.

I used to feel "yuck" about skim; now I can't drink anything else. I do count and use it as food, though the ounces are good towards the Fluid requirement.

I appreciate all of the responses. I am going to give a few different suggestions a try. Thanks to all of you.