Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my first fill on Tuesday. I was really looking forward to it and everything seemed fine until I started back on solid foods. Now I swear I'm able to eat more now than I did before the fill. I didn't expect that I'd be at my sweet spot right away - I realize it might take some time and many more fills, but I did not AT ALL expect to feel like I could eat even more.

How is that even possible?

I would guess that, even though you intellectually knew that you would not hit sweet spot, you really did kind of expect a bigger change---and that simply is not achieved, for most of us, with the first fill.

In reality, the band is like a little noose. Even without restriction, it does limit capacity. (It may empty rapidly into the stomach below, but it can only hold so much at a time.)

If you really think you're hungrier, be sure to be careful with your food choices. Avoid sliders---without restriction, they can swoosh right on through, leaving you as hungry as before eating. Lean toward lean Proteins and nonstarchy veggies and heart-healthy fats---things that will stick with you without triggering more hunger.

I know it's frustrating---it does get lots better! Hang in there :)

I had my first fill on Tuesday. I was really looking forward to it and everything seemed fine until I started back on solid foods. Now I swear I'm able to eat more now than I did before the fill. I didn't expect that I'd be at my sweet spot right away - I realize it might take some time and many more fills, but I did not AT ALL expect to feel like I could eat even more.

How is that even possible?

I'm right with you! And 2 weeks after, it seems I don't even have to chew my food and my bites are markedly bigger (I realize it after of course and pray that I don't pay for it, but nothing happens). As Betsy mentioned, make sure you're choosing foods that aren't sliding through. Hopefully it gets you through to your next fill. Were you able to schedule it or do you have to wait a certain period of time?

Good luck. It really does get easier!

After my last fill I thought they had poked a hole in my port because my band felt so loose, but then about 10 days later it tightened up and (I hate to say it, I don't want to jinx myself) I think I am at my sweet spot! There is no rhyme or reason for what the band does you just have to go with it.

Leigha, mine tightened up after a couple of weeks, too--I was really surprised!

Good to hear it might still tighten up! I scheduled my next fill for June 1st no matter what. I am being very careful and staying away from slider foods.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Barbwired, my second fill is scheduled for June 1st also. Let's pray it works for us. I couldn't tell any difference after my first fill a week and a half ago. (fingers crossed)

Barbwired, my second fill is scheduled for June 1st also. Let's pray it works for us. I couldn't tell any difference after my first fill a week and a half ago. (fingers crossed)

Okay, I'm crossing fingers for both of us! :)

I'm not trying to be negative just realistic, this was my 5Th fill. Sorry. But like I always say "Fake till you make it" eat like you have restriction and it will get easier as you go. Good luck. :)

I wasn't expecting my first fill to make a huge difference, and I'm fully aware it might take many, many more fills before I feel restriction. What I wasn't expecting was feeling like I was able to was able to eat a LOT more after the fill. That's the part I still don't understand.

I am very thankful for this site and this post. I too had surgery on 3/8.. had a fill on 4/21 and can probably eat more than before the fill. I have a fill scheduled for 5/18 and can't wait. I am being very very careful but it is more of a mental game than a physical restriction at this point.