Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What R We Eating

I'm am new here. I expect to have the surgery in May 06.

I was reading what you all have been eating and I am a little surprised. Most of it is junk or not really nutritious. I thought you had to change your life style/ eating habits for the better after you had the surgery. Isn't there danger of gaining the weight back if you continue to eat the wrong foods? It just seems a little counterproductive to me. Sorry to be getting on your "bad side" so soon, don't kill me. But I just need to understand how this thing works before I go into surgery. I am excited!

Whoa, well that is a quick way to get on our bad sides. Ecspecially when we've been working so hard at eating well. What you have to realize is that veryone has their vices. I wouldn't put everyone in the junk food category. We tend to go in "trends" around here. I wouldn't call what I eat not nutritious or junk food. But there have been one or two days where I may have eaten something sweet or junky. We all try and yes, it is very important to eat the right foods after you get banded. But that doesn't mean we're all on Weight Watchers or Atkins. Personally, I'm on a low GI diet, eating my Protein first. Everyone's got their strategy.

The point of this board, for me at least, is to keep myself in check because I know I'll have to post it. I usually keep between 1,200-1,300 calories a day and cut out most sweets. But I know myself. I know that if I say "no more sugar" then it's going to bite me back later. I have to allow myself that half cookie, but still get my nutrition in for the day.

I probably sound defensive because I am. I work hard at this! Damn hard! And you will have to as well. But the band requires a lifestyle change and I doubt anyone can maintain a perfect diet for the rest of their lives. But we work with it and do the best we can.

Don't take offense, please. I wasn't trying to down anyone. I know it's hard, but since I haven't had the surgery yet, I can only imagine.

I just heard that if you eat certain foods, they may make you sick..sugar for instance.

I'm trying to separate the fact from the fiction.

Someone posted that they can't digest broccoli. Wow!

I believe I overheard a patient saying she couldn't handle rice.

That's why I started reading the posts about what everyone is eating. And yes, I was surprised at the junk foods. But I imagine that you are not eating a heck of a lot of it, right?

No, this surgery is totally different from RNY. Sugar makes RNY patients sick. It does nothing to band patients except go down REAL easy. Our intestines haven't been re-routed so everything is exactly the same as before - only now we have a band around our stomachs so we can't fit as much through. When people say they can't digest broccoli, they didn't mean the word "digest". They meant they can't swallow broccoli without it getting "stuck" in their esophagus as a result of having the band - maybe because broccoli is fibrous and hard to chew to bits. food needs to be small enough to fit through that little opening where the band is. Rice gets sticky and expands so when you swallow it maybe it sticks together so it doesn't go through the band or perhaps it swells up so it's too big to go through. It all eventually goes through or it comes back up. When it comes back up we call that a PB (Productive Burp).

As far as the junk food goes, when I look through these posts I see periods of time when people haven't done so well, but I also see times when people do REALLY well. We're still human after we get the band. If you can't control yourself with sweets before the band it's not going to be that different afterwards. I chose the band because of a few reasons but one of them was so I could feel more of this weight loss as being "mine". That was important to me. But I think the RNY has done a lot for people and the band isn't for everyone.

Feel free to ask questions. I don't want to hinder anyone from asking questions or making comments. I just felt a little judged based off a narrow view of what our lives are like.

Teresa, it works! I ate 3/4 cup and then waited 10 minutes. I was TOTALLY full, so I didn't eat the rest of my meal. If I had I think would have PB'd. Gosh, this whole time I've been thinking I needed another fill. I think when I go in for my next appointment, for the first time I won't want a fill!

Teresa, it works! I ate 3/4 cup and then waited 10 minutes. I was TOTALLY full, so I didn't eat the rest of my meal. If I had I think would have PB'd. Gosh, this whole time I've been thinking I needed another fill. I think when I go in for my next appointment, for the first time I won't want a fill!

Go Puddinpie - Revelations are so wonderful....it's good that you can eat less and be full. My problem is that I don't always want to stop. I didn't get enough Water in yesterday because I was eating. :faint:

Keep up the great work Puddin!!! Hey did you sign up for the Spring Boot Camp 2006?

I was reading what you all have been eating and I am a little surprised. Most of it is junk or not really nutritious. I thought you had to change your life style/ eating habits for the better after you had the surgery. Isn't there danger of gaining the weight back if you continue to eat the wrong foods? It just seems a little counterproductive to me.
Don't take offense, please. I wasn't trying to down anyone. I know it's hard, but since I haven't had the surgery yet, I can only imagine.

I just heard that if you eat certain foods, they may make you sick..sugar for instance.

I'm trying to separate the fact from the fiction.

Someone posted that they can't digest broccoli. Wow!

I believe I overheard a patient saying she couldn't handle rice.

That's why I started reading the posts about what everyone is eating. And yes, I was surprised at the junk foods. But I imagine that you are not eating a heck of a lot of it, right?

Well what do you call junk food? Of course you can gain the weight back but if you look at our stats they look pretty darn good.

As Puddin said it sounds like you have band people confused with RNY people. Sugar does not make us sick. Broccoli can be hard to get down with good restricition if not cooked to mush. Rice as Puddin said swells but some poeople can eat it. You are right, we don't eat a lot that is why we are losing weight and happy.

If you could only drink Soup for the rest of like to lose weight, would you be happy????

4/7/06

B:black bottom muffin(sigh...I know junkfood that will make me fatter :bored )

S: salmon muffins (wont get too fat off of these:bored )

L: liquids rest of day (so I wont get fatter:bored)

**sarcasm off**

today is fill day so liquids all afternoon

Hello again,:(

Thanks Puddin for explaining things more. I appreciate that.

I was just about to ask what "PB" stands for, and you explained that as well. But...does Productive Burp mean food comes back up?:scared:

Lately when I eat, I start to wonder if the food I'm having will be tolerable after surgery. For instance, I had some ice cream, which is pretty soft. But does milk/dairy products cause problems?

Teresa, you've made a good point. No, I definitely couldn't live off Soup.< /p>

Tell me, how are the first two weeks? I know it's liquids only. But do you crave food? Is it a mental craving?

Aarch~! So many questions.

BeeJay

Hey all! Can anyone jump in on this thread? Or is it just for those from MD? I could use some embarrassment to get me back in line... WAY out of control!

BeeJay, I'll take a stab at some of your questions. Milk / dairy can cause problems for SOME post-op. Most can go back to drinking / eating it after a couple of months. Some seem to develop lactose intolerance from the surgery (go figure). For me, I drank milk Protein Shakes 3 days post-op & haven't had any issues.

We do TRY to avoid liquid calories... so ice cream is sorta a no-no. That being said, I LOVE it!! I try to limit myself on the quantity, but cutting it out just makes me binge.

The first week post-op I was never hungry, but by the 2nd, my swelling had gone done & I was ravenous. Each person is different. It depends how much you swell & how fast you heal.

For myself, I've had the "golf-ball" (where you feel pressure behind your sternum that feels like a golf / tennis / volley ball is stuck there). If I manage to stop RIGHT at that pain, then it normally passes as the food gets unstuck & goes down. If I DON'T stop, then the next bite causes issues. I've had 2 different issues:

1. Sliming. The saliva backs up... and you end up "throwing up" (it's bigger then a hiccup, but not really throwing up). For me, sliming is just clear... saliva... stringy... it gets over everything & is a royal pain. It also seems to take longer to get through it, with a PB, once or twice & I'm done. Sliming goes forEVER.

2. PB. For me, I define PB as when food comes up with the slime. Again, it's almost like a hiccup, but you get food back. The food is not digested (it's only been in the top pouch). You can see if you didn't chew well enough, lol. For me, it doesn't seem to be a chewing issue (I chew really well), it seems to be too many bites too quickly.

I'm learning to pause 30-60 seconds between bites so that I hear the pain signal & don't have the bad results.

:fencing: Janet stay around for as long as you want......we'll embarrrasse :faint2:you....LOL

Please post honestly what you are eating :puke:and there is an exercise:crutch: thread.....post there also.

We will beat :boxing:you up on a regular...:).....:)..... and you will be in shape in no time.

Well someone needs to beat me, BAD... :deadhorse: I just came fro CICI's.. Boy was it good going down :hungry: ... but now I feel sick. stomach hurts and everything. :painkiller:

I want my MOMMY! :Cry: :Cry: :Cry: :Cry: