Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You got to move it, move it.

I don't see many people talking about exercise in the threads. I was curious as to what different people were doing to increase their physical activity. I'm trying to find a tai chi class (I used to do it when I was in one of my "skinny phases) to start off with something not so hard on the joints. I noticed one of the gyms around here offers zumba classes and it looks really fun, but I'm afraid I would look like a beluga whale trying to give birth if I took the class. I know that being fat causes an endless cycle in the exercise battle. A lot of people feel too embarassed to show up at a gym and thus don't get a lot of exercise and then slowly pack on the pounds and so they don't go to the gym and around and around we go.

I'm a big believer in exercise and have always done it despite being overweight. I shudder to think how much I would've weighed had I not been active!

Here's what I do:

Free weight strength training and core work every other day. This means one week I do it 3 times, the next week is 4 times.

Speed walking 6 days a week for 30 minutes and elliptical workouts for 20 minutes a day 5 or 6 days a week. In the winter I tend to do more on the elliptical, but now that it's nice outside I prefer to get my exercise outside.

I also take care of an 800 sq foot garden and several flower beds for about an hour a day 4 or 5 days a wee , so that keeps me pretty busy too. But that's what I call "fun work" : )

I was doing pretty much all of this for years and years prior to surgery and now that I've lost weight I actually need to do MORE to get the same effect because it burns less calories moving a lighter body. I think those have never done much exercise presurgery and then start doing at least something will see really good results scale wise. Any kind of extra movement will help.

I know how you feel. I was quite slim some years ago and am embarrassed to walk on the main streets near where I live because my ex-boyfriend doesn't live too far away. Sounds funny probably but vanity is part of my personality. I do a lot of gardening around the house and walk around quite a bit but would like to start by setting a mandatory 30 minute walk - even if I have to use side streets. Walking even at a slow pace has always been recommended to me by chiropractor as I have recurring back problems. To me, that's a nice way to ease back into exercise and good time to spend with oneself.

My mom bought a treadmill for the house maybe a year ago. It's only been used like 7 times, if that. So, I've been on that every day for 30 minutes. I end up doing a mile. Also, while I walk I carry 3 pound weights in my hand. I lift them over my head and such. Also, I just got a balance ball and a resistance workout band. I'm going to figure out how to incorporate that into my work out.

i used to feel embarrassed at first, but then i started getting really motivated, plus i love the results and the feeling after a good workout. i love zumba class, it's great you should give it a try!!! goodluck:thumbup:

I never shut up about it, it sneaks into all my posts!

I am a passionate runner! During my weight loss phase, I ran a LOT - an hour six days a week, sometimes an hour and a half. All of that cardio stripped the weight off my body.

Longer term, I've toned it down a bit. I love it so much, I want to be able to do it forever. I fulfilled a desire to do a half marathon, but my body is not really built for running, I'm an enthusiastic runner, not a gifted one. I stick to about 7 or 8kms maybe 4 times a week now - its just enough to keep the weight off, keep me keen, but not to get sore knees, hips and heels. Other days I do a bootcamp session, that's INTENSE! One day is cardio, the other strength training and he's just introduced a boxing session also. I'm going to drop the cardio session (I get plenty with my running) and do the boxing instead.

Its a good balance for me, I manage to fit it all in around full time work. At the moment, I'm also running 3kms at lunchtime 3 days a week because I'm training the grade 3 to sixes for the upcoming cross country.

Lots of cardio based stuff with bodyweight strength training works for me - I like to look long and lean, I dont have a great deal of muscle, but I like the look of the body I have and dont really want more. I can eat what I want without worrying about weight gain too.

I've always disliked exercize regimens, but enjoy outdoor activities of hiking, kayaking, gardening, etc. During the winter I can't do those things so since my banding I haven't exercized. I was on a plateau for a while and as soon as I started walking on the treadmill the scale started to move again. I encourage folks to at least walk a half hour per day to keep that scale moving downward.

I started walking/jogging on the treadmill and do that three to four times a week. I also do the P90X arms and shoulders video a few times a week. I also like yoga. Just a few days ago I've started having pain in my port area...so I'm toning it down to just walking on the treadmill for now. I'm a little upset as I'd just started week two of the couch to 5k program. So, I'm a bit peeved that is being interrupted by my port pain. I don't want to have to start all over with my running. But, I guess as long as I am still moving and walking...I'll keep dropping weight.

I started by walking on the treadmill for an hour 3 days a week and I was losing 2 pounds a week then my loss slowed down, so then I started riding my bike to work (5 miles 1 way) 2 times a week back to the 2 pounds a week loss then once again my weight loss slowed down, then I had a 21 day plateau so I started the Couch to 5K and lost 2 pounds this week. So it looks like running is going to be it for me for now, if I don't exercise I do not lose weight.