Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Celebrations... how do you handle them?

Ok so I know we eat to live & not the other way around but... for me my family & quite a few of my friends hold food on a pedestal, if you will. Its a BIG part of my culture. Cooking, eating & sharing. Its incorporated into every event much like music is! We eat for every occasion. Birthdays, graduations, holidays, memorials, anniversaries! The major issue at our family wedding is what to serve more than what colors the theme will be. Everyone is large in my family. (Yes, from the South!) And because of this, I have never been more aware of how many events there are in any given month as I am now that I'm banded. I am now on soft foods like fish & eggs & mashed potatos. I have ofcourse tested and I can still eat normal food chewed thoroughly in small quantities. I have 0cc in my band still but I feel a bit of restriction anyways. I do feel stuck if I eat or drink too much too fast. Trial & error. But I'm still losing pretty steadily 4-5lbs/week so far post op out of sheer will power. Not to say it has been easy! Not at all... I'm finding myself hungry again. =/

Problem is... I realized today is Cinco de mayo, Saturday is my 26th birthday, Sunday is mothers day, next week is my best friends birthday, my grandmothers birthday & my late-fiance's memorial. These are all occasions I would normally throw down! All kinds of foods & definitely some drinks too. Our celebrations are literally just 'dinners, bbq's, going out for drinks' type events. My bf's family is Mexican and they're having a big party today for the 5th & I know ill be more than tempted to try some carne asade or corona! =O I even felt so stressed about not getting off track that I told my friends I didn't want to go out for my birthday this weekend. I have NEVER known a time in my life where you Celebrate without food & drinks. You tell me christmas I think fudge, tell me 4th of july I think BBQ! I hate to go & just feel tortured watching everyone else indulge.

This is not a diet its a lifestyle change ... so I need to know how to Celebrate without feeling like I can't participate?!

Edited by Sashay02

Life will get far easier--celebrations and all--once you have some saline in your band. Not only does that prevent you from eating a certain way but it also curbs the hunger and cravings a good deal. If all goes well, you'll be able to attend the festivities and enjoy the small amount you can eat. Until you do get those first fills under your belt it indeed will be mostly about willpower. I'm only a couple small steps ahead of you but that was definitely my experience.

My relatives are Jewish and Italian and we loooove to eat too!! Probably better to be from one of those non eating cultures...

Best of luck! Happy birthday (you're young!) and I'm so sorry about your ex-fiance :thumbup:

It's true Sashay, it does get easier. I haven't had a fill yet, but I do feel restriction. Always have. As for social events, I've learned to socialize a lot, I have the gift of gab. When you're having so much fun talking to friends and relatives, you can use that as an excuse. Not much time to eat. And when you have to eat, take a small portion and visit while you eat. That gives you less time to actually eat. You sound like a happy, go lucky person, so I think you can do it. Just remember to chew chew, chew. You don't want to get stuck in front of everyone. Good luck on your social life, sounds like a lot of fun.

Thanks for the advice LapNYC! I think I'm just frustrated because I'm hungry! Haha. Working night shift allows the mind to wander! That's funny you say that bc I'm just starting to feel 'older' seeing the major gap between my age and the teens I so vividly remember being! Years are flying now! =) If only we were all from the active cultures instead of 'Happy Birthday here's diabetes on a plate' culture!lol But that would be too easy! And ty for the condolences it been 2yrs, military.

Girl55, thank you as well! Ill def try that! Talking is def something I can do well. Haha!

Sashay02!! I am TOTALLY in the same position as you! I'm turning 26 on the 28th of this month AND i just had my surgery Monday. My family is insane with the parties and the DRINKING. Only my parents know about the surgery, so I'm hoping I won't have to see anyone until the "solids" phase. haha. PLUS, my soon to be mother-in-law is basically Julia Child and cooks a feast EVERY SINGLE TIME we go home to visit. I'm afraid she'll be offended when I only eat like two bites. haha. Anyway, if you need a friend, message me!! I need some more people my age to talk to :bored: Plus... I live in Riverside!

First, happy birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day!

I've handled celebration meals pretty much like every other meal: I eat the portion of the meal that works for me, leave the rest behind, and focus on my family and conversation :bored:

It gets SO SO SO much easier when you have restriction. You really do reach the point where your mind doesn't want the stuff you "shouldn't" have---when you're satisfied, then it's just so much simpler to say, "No thanks."

Oh how I can relate!!!

My family is Sicilian...need I say more? lol

LITERALLY, there is food on the stove or someone inviting you over for something or other darn near every single day!

I didn't tell ANYONE in my family except my cousin (who is more like a sister) so that was even harder.

What I did, and still do today, is bring my Muscle Milk and some healthy Snacks. I also usually eat before I leave so I have no desire to eat anything.

When someone asks why I'm not eating...and trust me, even after 15+ months, someone ALWAYS asks..I tell them I am cutting out fatty foods for a healthy lifestyle. After a few "you do look great" and "good for you" comments, I don't have to explain myself again.

However, on certain occasions, if I want a "no-no" food, I have it. Just make sure it is not very often and in small quantities.

Best to you, it does get easier!

Fritty, wow your my neighbor in riverside!=) we must def keep in touch it is nice to see someone my age on here also! Happy bday to you as well!!

I am looking forward to restriction! Right now its based on me stopping myself & being out a lot this week I can see how difficult that can be when everything looks sooo good when you've been on mushies & shakes for a month!haha I don't like the full feeling that comes with the band so I try to avoid it. Before I felt warm & satisfied & sleepy after a large meal! Now after a small one I feel bloated! =/ My appetite is changing. But I'm comforted to see I'm not alone in the battle against 'peer pressure' to eat! =)

So now its my bday so thank you all for the bday wishes! Its actually not too difficult to enjoy the festivities but its definitely a change. I never use to give much thought to what I put in my mouth or wether or not I excercised. I went out last night to a club & was totally sober.. who knew clubs weren't as fun as I thought?!haha Went to dinner to start the bday celebration with my mom last night and since I'm still unfilled I was able to eat normal food- ofcourse a heck of a lot less. I use to hate that restaurant for its 'small portions' but it was actually too much food for me now! Left overs! *whispers* I never use to have left overs!! Only doggy bag I ever had was my 2nd order for my late night snack!... So this is really cool. I can do over 10miles a day on my stationary bike now & people are actually starting to say 'it looks like your stomach has gotten smaller!' Despite not knowing about the band. Woo-hoo! 30lbs down & fitting my clothes better, with a lot more energy. This is a awesome birthday!! No regrets.

Edited by Sashay02