Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

an anyone tell me what to expect at my first nutritionist appointment? Long story short the receptionist at surgeons office made me nervous. I went for my first appt a couple weeks ago, within 8 days I finished everything on the check list, lost 16lbs, saw the bariatric shrink, letter from my primary doc, sleep study, and so on. The only thing I was unable to to complete was the nutritionist visit because she was booked out till June. I was able to find a different nutritionist in another town that my surgeon said was ok, and she has a opening on may 6th. With my nutritionist app only a couple days away I called the surgeons office to say I had completed everything and wanted to schedule my follow up, the receptionist, who is a very nice lady, said she "could not book the follow up until I had actually seen the nutritionist because the nutritionist may want to see me more than once"

I went crazy completing everything on that list, used personal vacation days, spent a Friday night at the sleep center, ate 1000 calories or less each day, worked out each day.... Only to hear, "the nutritionist may want to see you more than once"

Im assuming that the nutritionist will want to talk about what a balanced diet is, good carbs, bad carbs, Proteins, and so on. I figured she will want some kind of food diary, no problem I have one from the beginning of April till now.

My question is, just what exactly will this nutritionist lady want from me in order to get past her on the first visit? Is there anything I should know, or can do so that she will not make keep coming back and hold up my surgery?

My doctor is booking surgery into July now, and If I dont get it done before august I WILL NOT be able to even think of it again until next April. This is the slow time at my job, but come fall we will be very busy right through the winter, I have to have this before August. Can anyone shoot me some good advice?

Thanks

I had to see my nutritionist six times over a six month period. This was an insurance requirement though and not that of my surgeon. The nutritionist counselled me a great deal as to what to expect from the surgery and the various diet stages. It was a series of invaluable experiences. Good luck.

I had four nutritionist appointments, 3 individual, and 1 as a class. They were very useful with what to expect after surgery- how to work with the band.

I've been practicing patience since starting this process eight months ago. I had a couple of unavoidable delays in my process, and while irritating at first, I have been making good use of the time. I've been living like a banded person these past 2 months.

You sound like you've been working hard too- just keep it up, and your surgery will come soon enough!

Thank you both for the quick replies, and useful information.

I guess I'm just impatient because I finally decided that I was going to go through with this, and now I have the Nutritionist hold up deal. I have actually been going through this process for a few years now, went to two Different doctors seminars, went half way through the process for a full bypass with one doctor, only to be told by my Gastrolinterolgost that I can not have a full bypass due to my Crhons disease. Once I was told I could not have the bypass I gave up on this for a couple years, but now I'm sick of being this way, and want to move on with being banded ASAP.

I dont want to have to wait until next spring, especially since everything else in place, lost the weight, quit smoking, went to all the appointments, got everything signed by the right doctors. If I have to wait till next spring I'm likely to give up on the process again.

Sounds kind of selfish, doesn't it?

It doesn't sound selfish to me, it just sounds impatient. Hang in there. This isn't something that does or even should happen overnight. The pre-surgery time can be put to really advantageous use by getting you used to what you'll face post-op and also additional time for education and getting your head in the right place. In any event, you might be worried for nothing, it could be that you'll only have a single visit with the nutritionist and be on your way to getting banded. Good luck and please keep us posted.

If I have to wait till next spring I'm likely to give up on the process again.

Sounds kind of selfish, doesn't it?