Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ATTENTION!! All Pre-Bandsters READ HERE!! What to expect Post-Op to Succeed!!!

Hi everyone!!

I posted a thread similar to the one I am posting now, but I posted it in the "Post-op" section of the forum. After many suggestions and AMAZING posts, I have decided to put this thread here also.

I assume that many reading this are considering, scheduled or just general "pre-op" folks. If you are pre-op, researching or post-op and frustrated...READ HERE!! I am posting what to expect with weight loss and recovery post-op.

I got so tired of addressing post after post of "2 weeks post op and frustrated" or "3 weeks post op and only "X" lbs lost" etc. I realized that many patients have no idea what to realistically expect post-op. Many surgeons don't go into detail as to what the bandster patient will go through post op (most notably...bandster hell). Which is why I'm posting here. Below are the MAIN points that are MOST misunderstood. I am posting ONLY for future bandsters to CREATE realistic expectations and have success with the band...I hope this helps anyone/everyone who reads it!!

THE FIRST 4-6 WEEKS POST OP IS FOR HEALING NOT LOSING!!!

Most post-op bandsters wake up feeling beat up and sore, but expecting the pounds to just melt off..this does NOT HAPPEN!!!

YOU WILL NOT BEGIN LOSING A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF WEIGHT UNTIL YOU REACH PROPER RESTRICTION...this on average takes 3-4 fills..or 3 TO 4 MONTHS!!!

AVERAGE WEIGHT LOSS WITH THE LAP-BAND OVER 12 MONTHS IS 52 pounds. Some lose MUCH quicker...some lose MUCH slower!

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!!! DO NOT..I REPEAT....DO NOT COMPARE YOUR SUCCESS WITH ANYONE ELSE!!!! You will defeat yourself without even knowing it!!! Everyone is a different weight, height and situation. There is NO POSSIBLE way to compare your weight loss with ANYONE ELSE!!! DON'T DO IT!!! Any weight lost is a HUGE success!!!

I am 15+ months post op and have NOT lost 52lbs yet. I work my butt off in the gym every week and work hard. I do NOT compare myself with anyone..I am THRILLED with my weight loss so far.

YOU WILL FEEL LIKE YOU MADE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER IMMEDIATELY POST-OP...this will pass! Every single person I've ever had contact with has felt this way and so did I. Of course there are those that had a perfect recovery and never felt this way, but the vast majority of patients feel remorse immediately post-op..THIS WILL PASS!!!

I know there are others with great advice to add...I just wanted to let you know the actual truth...you will NOT LOSE weight and could possibly gain the first weeks following surgery! SIGNIFICANT weight loss generally does not "kick in" until you've had 3-4 fills!! DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!!! THIS IS NORMAL!!!

Many others will add valuable information to what I"ve already posted...if you have any questions or concerns, always consult your physician first. But for real-life experience questions from others..this is a great place to start!!

This is what a lot of us need to hear! Thanks for posting.

A couple of caveats: if you go into the surgery with realistic expectations, you may well avoid buyer's remorse. The regrets associated with banding seem to be associated with unrealistic goals.

And you can lose significantly before you achieve restriction. It will be the last time you experience hunger in the name of weight loss, and some of us find it less frustrating to really watch what we eat during this time. It feels like dieting (because, well, it is dieting!) ....but it also helps us feel like we haven't had surgery for naught.

It's a personal choice (often driven by doctor-recommended eating regimen)---but know that it is a choice that is in your hands. You can modify your behavior so that you lose even when you do not yet have adequate restriction.

Doing this has the added bonus of really getting you in "practice" for the eating behaviors required with restriction.

Thank you so much for this. I have been seeking the silver "magic" bullet for weight loss since adolescence. I am now 55 years old and the physical limitations are kicking in big time.

Being on a strict budget for years, and being co-dependant (in my case taking care of others needs and letting myself fall to pieces) I didn't research gastric surgery knowing self-pay was out of my realm. Recently I was bequeathed a small inheritance and I now consider this little nest egg my "life savings."

I want to be sure that this is it, that the lapband is the answer to my prayers. I would feel horrible spending all of this money (on myself!) and failing yet again. I have been poring through this forum, reading success stories as well as disappointments written by people who expected more. I don't want to be one of those people, so it is good for me to know going in what to realistically expect.

I have been to the seminar and have an appointment later this month for consultations and physical(s).

Also this is a tool, it will not do the work for you. It will make it easier to do the work but ice cream and Cookies still go down just fine!

Also this is a tool, it will not do the work for you. It will make it easier to do the work but ice cream and Cookies still go down just fine!

Yes they do!

I am 4 days post-op, and am not having the grandest time. I am having alot of trouble with shoulder pain.

However I do not regret my decision at all. This is a tool that is going to help me change my life. It has already started. I felt full after jello!! And throwing up although not fun was soooo different. I had a lot of trouble coming out of anesthesia so I was dizzy and vomitting for about 18 hours after surgery.

Despite all of this, I know this was the best thing I have ever done and I look forward to what is to come

OMG! The first week I totally regreted it. But it was mostly cause of the pain, the 5 scars and the fact that I could barely swollow Water (had a hernia repaired too). Im not 3 weeks post op and my scars are so small and faint that I can definitely live with them. I'm also able to swollow any and almost everything I eat and the pain is totally gone now. I lost 12 pounds, but gained back two since I am now able to eat again. I figured that things wouldn't really start moving until I got a fill. So I am not depressed about the weight issue, nor am I concerned. But I still have this fear that after I eat my Soup and brocoli, that even with the restriction I will feel hunger pangs. I just can't imagine feeling fool and satisfied. This remains to be seen until my next doctors visit on the 23rd.

Thanks for a GREAT post. Keep me up lifted in positivity!