Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone,

I was banded on 4/29/2010 and I am having a wonderful experience so far. I have lost a total of 14 lbs. since last Monday, the 26th of April. I contribute most of the weight loss to the liquid diet (pre-op and post-op) but I'll take it for now. I'm looking forward to the trials, challenges, and rewards that will come with having my LAP-BAND®®®®® procedure. I started back working today, as I have a sedentary job. Besides having a few gas pains today, I am completely and totally comfortable.

I have had friends to ask me if I knew before what I know at this moment about the procedure, would I make the same decision about getting the LAP-BAND®®®®®? I can honestly answer, yes, I would do it all over again. This has been a great experience for me so far and I feel that the LAP-BAND®®®® will help me overcome my strong love addiction for food and also help me with overeating at every meal. :thumbdown::thumbup::blushing:

Congrats. and Good luck. It's nice to know one can survive going back to work that quickly:thumbup:

That is awesome to hear. Makes me hopeful. I have been tossing back and fourth on if I should do this or not. How much time will I have to take off work etc. I would actually be one of those in the closet type lap band people because my co-workers talk too much! Did you have trouble with the pre-op diet? I am scared I will fail and not stick to it.

Buffismiles, I failed at many attempts of losing weight, diet plans, etc.. and I have made a decision that it is time for a change, but I also realized that I would need a tool, such as the Lapband, to help me with my love addiction and obsession with food. I can honestly say, since my surgery, i have no regrets.

Pre-op diet was somewhat difficult but I kept focused on my long term goals of using this tool that has been offered to me, the Lapband, and I was not about to give in. Honestly, I got tired of chicken broth, beef brock, and Jello but then I would think to myself, there are so many people that would love to be able to have something such as chicken broth, etc..

I missed two days of work, Thursday and Friday, and was back on the following Monday. I know this may not be typical for everyone as I have a desk job and no straining involved in my daily work. I truly believe you will do well with this procedure.

Just today, I went to a Japanese resturaunt and normally when I go there, I would eat the biggest meal offered. Today, I order a mushroom Soup and drank only half of it before I was full. It was a good feeling to go out with my co-workers and not be embarassed about how much I ordered. You can do this!!!

Well that is what I was hoping to hear as I have a desk job too! That makes me feel better. I am going to be full of questions so I hope you don't mind. What is the pre-op diet about? I have also read that some people had to be on a special diet before having the procedure (like a 3 month diet) do you know anything about that? I am soooooooo nervous and I don't want anyone to find out type deal. I feel ashamed that I am looking to this resort to help me lose weight.

Buffismiles,

to my understanding, some insurance companies will only cover after the patient has shown a "true attempt" of diet before approving the surgery with some being up to a six month or so controlled diet. Different insurance companines have different criteria that have to be met before approving the surgery. I guess it's the insurance companies way of making sure you are serious about making a lifestyle change for the better.

My doctor told me the reason for the pre-op diet was to deplete the fat from the liver, I believe it was the liver, to help in shrinking the organ and allowing him to do the surgery with no complications. My pre-op diet was just like my post-op week one diet, which was a liquid diet. I lost almost 9 lbs. in 4 days from the pre-op diet alone.

I don't mind the questions at all and will not intentionally lead you wrong but I am a newbie.

Don't be ashamed, be happy there is something out there to help people like you and me. The lapband is a tool and you still will have to do your part and you will.

bdrabbit

Edited by BDRABBIT

i hope you don't mind me jumping in -- i'm scared of the post op diet - not the "not eating" part but the vommiting and the blockages and so forth --- can you tell me a little about that?

Renee1003,

Personally, I have not had this to happen to me at all, however, I am going strickly by the post-op diet which is a clear liquid diet. As of yesterday, I have graduated to full liquid diets which include creamy Soups, strained Soups, etc..

I do have friends that I work with that has told me about the vomiting and so forth. They have explained to me it is much like spitting up, such as a baby would do, but there again, I have not experienced myself. I understand that you don't get much of a warning when you're going to vomit. As far as blockages, I understand from my co-workers that it feels to them that something is sitting in the bottom of their throat and it just won't go up or down and there may be added pressure in the chest area at times when this happens. Sometimes after several minutes have gone by and the feeling of being "stuck" is still there, then they will drink Fluid either to help it down or to help it come back up.. sounds bad but if you follow the strict guidelines and go by your diet, you should have no problems immediately after the surgery with blockages. Blockages should not occur until "real foods" are being introduced to my understanding.

Scott