Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ive been banded almost a month. About 2 days ago my port incision started bleeding out of nowhere and its now pussing. I was scheduled for my first fill today and when I went in to see my Dr. she said I have an infection. She put me on an antibiotic for 7 days . I'll see her again in a week.

I am sooo upset by this. Does this mean my band will have to come out? Has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm really depressed right now and can only think of the worst. :thumbup:

No, it doesn't mean your band is infected. It is probably just a localized reaction/infection where the port is.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Mimi

I had an infection- but not at the port site. It was do to a stich he had left hanging out just a little. Try not to worry too much, I am sure you will be fine. Make sure to finish all the antibiotics. Best wishes!

i had an infection around my port also! it took awile for it to clear up,but it will go away and you will get your fill and everything will be fine!! i go in for my first fill tomorrow.hope it goes away soon for you!

Thanks guys. I am trying to think positive but its so hard. I'm in a lot of pain. It's bleeding a lot of there is so much green puss! EEWW sorry!! There is a hole in my incision that keeps leaking. I've read that people had to have their ports replaced and I'm praying this isn't the case.

Michael is this what your infection was like?

Well turns out I have MRSA! My dr said it's nothing to worry about and i will be fine. No clue how I got it. I will be on the antibiotic for another week so 2 weeks total. So be careful everyone!

whats MRSA? no my infection didn't bleed it was just real red around it and little red bumps!! im glad you found out what it was and it will be over soon!

From the mayo Clinic website....

MRSA infection is caused by Staphylococcus aureus bacteria — often called "staph." MRSA stands for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. It's a strain of staph that's resistant to the broad-spectrum antibiotics commonly used to treat it. MRSA can be fatal.

Most MRSA infections occur in hospitals or other health care settings, such as nursing homes and dialysis centers. It's known as health care-associated MRSA, or HA-MRSA. Older adults and people with weakened immune systems are at most risk of HA-MRSA. More recently, another type of MRSA has occurred among otherwise healthy people in the wider community. This form, community-associated MRSA, or CA-MRSA, is responsible for serious skin and soft tissue infections and for a serious form of pneumonia

Staph skin infections, including MRSA, generally start as small red bumps that resemble pimples, boils or spider bites. These can quickly turn into deep, painful abscesses that require surgical draining. Sometimes the bacteria remain confined to the skin. But they can also penetrate into the body, causing potentially life-threatening infections in bones, joints, surgical wounds, the bloodstream, heart valves and lungs

MRSA is a strain of staph that's resistant to the broad-spectrum antibiotics commonly used to treat it.

Staph infections

Staph bacteria are normally found on the skin or in the nose of about one-third of the population. If you have staph on your skin or in your nose but aren't sick, you are said to be "colonized" but not infected. Healthy people can be colonized and have no ill effects. However, they can pass the germ to others.

Staph bacteria are generally harmless unless they enter the body through a cut or other wound, and even then they often cause only minor skin problems in healthy people. However, staph infections can cause serious illness. This most often happens in older adults and people who have weakened immune systems, usually in hospitals and long term care facilities. But in the past several years, serious infections have been occurring in otherwise healthy people in the community, for example athletes who share equipment or personal items.

MRSA is pretty much everywhere. It's even on your skin when you are healthy. I'm sure most people reading this has some MRSA on them, but not an infection of MRSA.

You'll be ok. :thumbdown:

Also! Wash your hands. You could have been poking at it, and you had MRSA on your hands. Hand washing is the best way to prevent infections! :thumbdown: