Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help, had surgery but didn't get the band.

Guest nanshan25

Guest nanshan25

My surgery was Nov 9th. When I woke up they told me they couldn't band me because I had an artery to my liver right where the band was supposed to be, and the surgeon decided it wouldn't be a good idea to chance cutting of blood supply to my liver. I am very upset. After all I went through, and I have all the pain, and the scars, and possibly a bladder infection too. I have no idea what I'm doing with this web site and the threads etc., but I need some support. The surgeon said that 1 in 300 people are the same as I am, but sometimes they can work around it. Any responses would be appreciated, nancy.

Wow Nancy, I don't even know what to say! I know we've had at least one other bandster here with a similar physiology, but I think they were able to be banded.

Yeah, cutting off the blood supply to the liver would be a bad, bad thing. Maybe you could do a search on "liver" or "blood supply" to try to find that thread. I honestly don't remember who had a similar issue.

So sorry (((hus))))

nancy, this is sounding familiar...someone go scare up katie...uhhhh...kat....crudola, gimme a name!!! I'll find her. She had a similar problem with an artery and had to be rebanded after about 3 days but she DID get banded. I'll see if I can hunt her down for ya. Hang in there. I'm really sorry about all that and no band. That really stinks. (((hugs)))

katterzz

Look her up on the Member's List and read "all threads started by katterzz" and you will find her story. If she doesn't show up here soon, I'll PM her. Or you can...or she has her e-mail linked on her signature so just click and send her a note...I'm sure she will be happy to share. (she's really sweet!!)

I have a triple A. You might remember that is what killed John Ritter. Not to worry though, mine is only 1 1/2 in. in circumferance and if my blood pressure is kept under control (which is a major reason I need this surgery) it will never grow. Uncontrolled BP is what makes aneurysms grow. I have to tell my surgeon about it beforehand so they don't freak out, but yours is in a strange spot where apparently it would affect the band. Mine is at the base of the aorta, but is called an abdominal aortic aneurysm. They don't fix them unless they are really big. I don't understand if your surgeon didn't know how to fix it; decided it didn't need fixing; or what, but what a bum deal you got not to get your band. Holy Smokes. I'm willing to bet I wake up without a band when they see my innerds too,.

Nancy, I'm sure this feels like a huge blow to you, but consider the alternative. If you HAD been banded, it's possibly (maybe even likely) that it could have led to a very serious health crisis. If that had happened your life may even have been in danger. Be glad you know NOW that you have a condition that makes you unfit for banding, rather than waking up banded and finding out the VERY hard way.

Thank goodness you have a responsible doctor who knows that safety comes first. There will always be another way to lose weight.

Guest nanshan25

Thank you all who answered my complaint. It really helped and made me feel so much better. Like I was surrounded with hugs. Somehow I still don't feel a part of the group because I wasn't banded, but I felt the love and concern, and it put a smile on my face. Much appreciated............nancy

I am researching every aspect of lap banding so asked my dr. today about your post. She said yes, it is not typical for this to happen, but it does. She suggested that worse case scenario they should have been able to go around it. A few questions if I may? Did you do your best to follow a diet and shrink your liver before surgery, because they should have been able to get under it?

Another question is did you have a lap band surgeon with loads of experience under his or her belt...say 1000 surgeries with no major complaints. These can be checked out on line. It is imperative you know the surgeon well.

Also, a lot of surgeons who are adapt at both lap banding and gastric bypass will have you sign a form before that if they can't band for some reason (one very much like yours) that they are allowed to do gastric bypass. At least you would have had a scar for a reason. It perhaps isn't the surgery you preferred, but I certainly would chose that option as opposed to waking up and having the stitches and pain and no surgery, and no hopes of getting it done in the furture.

I would ask a lot of questions of this dr., and I've very curious if you were in the states, if I'm not being too nosy.

Good luck to you... What a bummer.

Nanshan I am so sorry. I hope you have some huggy people around you. Here's my cyper hug ((((HUG)))). Check out the website at Fair Oaks Hospital in VA. They have excellent doctors there and a nurse maybe be able to give you some advice on another type of surgery. You wouldn't want to take chances with your life. We need you around for a long time.

There are other people on this site who are not banded either because they never got it or had to have it removed. Maybe they can be an encouragement. Still live like you are banded. Before surgery I had a real experience learning about me and food. I couldn't believe that I got to the point where I didn't want to eat even when it was free, right in front of me, an abudance of it and I was able to put food on my plate and barely eat it. It was wonderful. The Protein drinks were satisfying and it was my meal.

Again, I am so sorry. Good Luck, please don't leave us, we need your support and we are here to support you. Hey, TOPS look up TOPS Taking Off Pounds Sensibly. It is a great weight loss support group and they are all over the world. Check out their website and find your local TOPS because I'm sure they have one.

So sorry to hear you went through all of that and ended up without the band. I would suggest a second opinion.

Good Luck!

PS, I'll ask my doctor the next time I visit if he's ever heard of that happening.

Just as an aside...do NOT sign anything saying that yu will allow a gastric bypass unless you are SURE that is the surgery you want. There are more than just two wls's available and no one should have to chose between just those two.

Most of the banded people I've met over the last almost-four years say they would prefer the DS if they cannot have the band. In fact, Rachele from this site is having a band-to-DS revision today and mine is in eleven days.

If you didn't want the RnY when you GOT the band...you probably don't want it if/when you UN-get the band.

Sue

Hey!

What horrible luck! I'm having surgery tomorrow... I thought I was prepared for everything that could possibly come up....but this is the first time I'm reading about a problem like yours. I don't know what I would do if I woke up tomorrow and I got that kind of news!!!

What options did your doctor say you have?

Most of the banded people I've met over the last almost-four years say they would prefer the DS if they cannot have the band. In fact, Rachele from this site is having a band-to-DS revision today and mine is in eleven days.

DS is the duodenal switch, just incase you want to look into it.