Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband-Friendly Meals?

So what would a typical set of meals look like post LapBand? I know obvious things like Protein and low sugar, etc. But WHAT exactly do you eat?

Also, what are your big lapband-UN-friendly foods? I've heard soft breads and dry chicken. But what about pastas, rice (not exactly diet food, I know), lettuce, etc?

I'm getting banded on June 9th and I suddenly have tons of questions. lol

I eat very normal meals, you wouldnt know I was banded if I didnt tell you. I just dont eat an awful lot. People DO notice and tease me sometimes about how slowly I eat and how I have a small appetite, you know, the male eye roll at women's silly eating affectations. That's the extent of it. I can eat ALL foods, including breads.

However a lapband unfriendly meal would be what I had today. We went on a school excursion.That means packed lunch, no facilities to keep food cold, whatever I took had to fit in my handbag. I dont eat Protein bars either. So that meant a sandwich. Dont like sandwiches much, particularly ones that arent full of fresh salad ingredients. I had ham and cheese, on wholegrain bread. Yuck, but its lunch. Trouble is I had FIVE minutes to eat it. I cannot for the life of me shove down a sandwich in five minutes. I ate maybe 1/2 of it and binned the rest, I can fit a whole one in, but it takes careful eating, probably 20 minutes. I wasnt going to risk it in front of my whole class! And I didnt have any Water all day because we werent allowed to drink inside the museum and I couldnt eat the sandwich AND drink the Water.< /p>

But that's once in a blue moon stuff.

It definitely varies from person to person.

My definite no-no's are most breads (I've got a gluten/wheat allergy anyway so it would make me feel like crap even if I could get it down), all forms of lettuce which sucks because salads are one of my favourites, and chicken unless I put it in the crock pot so it's super moist.

My easiest meats are definitely steak (I go medium-rare) and fish. My best veggies are green Beans, snow peas and asparagus oddly enough.

Meals kind of depend for me! I'm one of those folks that can't eat in the morning regardless of my restriction level or how much Water I drink so I usually manage a handful of nuts around 10/10:30 in the AM and then do a later lunch around 1 so I have a little more time to loosen up.

lunch at my work is kind of hectic. I have a limited amount of time to eat and it's a rushed environment so I tend to stick with smoothies, Soups and things I know I can get down for sure. I will have some nuts or yogurt or something mid-day as well.

dinner is better! I can eat most anything (other than lettuce grrr).

I typically do some sort of meat (steak, fish, etc.), a veg and sometimes rice or some form of potato though I do it in that order so I typically don't get much of the starch but that's alright.

A few favourites:

Spaghetti (either without the actual noodles, or with some that I can tolerate... surprisingly tasty just with sauce and meat!)

Shepherd's Pie

Wraps with whatever kind of lunch meat, cheese and some kind of dressing/sauce just to be safe!

Really with the exception of the bread/lettuce stuff, I can eat anything just fine. Sometimes you just have to find a recipe that sounds good and make a few substitutions or alterations.

grilled salmon and asparagus is one of my faves. Or grilled chicken over salad with 1 tablesppon regular dressing and lots of cottage cheese. A hearty Soup. Lots of good stuff..youa re supposed to eat Proteins first, then veggies...I try to eat both.