Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Reflux Saga, Continued

Hi everyone:

It's been awhile since I've posted...but I'm all caught up on everyone's progress, setbacks, frustrations and NSV's!

A refresher: I had my band re-positioned earlier this year after a slip. My first fill was in June and I immediately had very bad reflux. I had reflux after my initial surgery, but it went away eventually. After that fill in June, the Dr. took out my fill to see if I had improvement. I didn't, even with Nexium and Rx Prevacid, so I went to a gastroenterologist for an endoscopy. He didn't see anything unusual -- except that my "pouch" isn't emptying well and that's probably what's causing the reflux. What scares me is the drawing he gave me -- showing my pouch kind of off to the side rather than above the stomach -- is similar to the drawing I got when I had my first slip. :cry

Things have gotten more difficult in the past week -- the reflux is mostly at night, but now during the day, I'm feeling like I'm in permanent PB mode...like something is stuck. Isn't that strange for someone without any fill at all??

Not keeping much down the past 24 hours. I induced vomiting yesterday because after I ate I was so damn miserable and it's the only thing that brought any relief. PLEASE DON'T SHOOT!

I know I need to call my band Dr. -- and I will this morning -- but I'm just so scared I'll need a THIRD surgery. And this one will be to remove the band.

When I've been "tight" like this the past few months, it's typically only lasted a few days. (Which may explain my procrastinating calling the Dr.) I hope that's the case this time.

Any coping ideas? Think I'll go liquid today, see if that helps. I've been doing Maalox liquid...sometimes Gaviscon.

Advice, suggestion, prayers and thoughts appreciated, as always. Calling the Dr. now and will let you know.

Elizabeth

08-28-03

Oh, Elizabeth, my thoughts are with you. {{{hugs}}}

What I would do if I had a similar issue would be to go on liquids and STAY ON THEM for several weeks or at least until you meet with the doctor. While there may indeed be a slip or something wrong, when I had these symptoms I think it was just a matter of irritation not being allowed to heal and resolve. And eating just kept it all going and making it worse.

I also think that for some people the OTC meds are less help rather than more. It seems to me that when I stopped taking them I felt instantly better.

OH MY !! Girl I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I can't really give you and advice but I can say some prayers for you. I hope your feeling better soon.

HUGS

You guys are the best! After being miserable for a few days, it was such a relief to suddenly remember I could come here for some band love!

I did call the Dr. and have an appointment for tomorrow. Have my report from the endoscopy and went and picked up my films from two barium swallows after my re-banding in March. So I'm armed!

And, things did improve later today. Don't know what it is -- all of the sudden I'll start feeling better....kept a little bit of food down... so yay me!

Updates to follow.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

As I was reading your post, my ONLY recommendation was to definately consume ONLY liquids for a couple of days (then I read Alex's reply!).

Let your esophgus (sp?) rest!!! If it stays irritated and swollen, you will never know if it a more serious situation (like slippage) that is causing you to PB.

Take it easy, and keep us posted!

****Im editing to add......... I can only imagine how concerned you must be - with a slipped band already in your records. Hang inthere, and let us know when you get those results ~ God bless!*****

Thank you Paula... you guys are right, as usual...sticking to liquids helps FOR SURE. Dr. reviewed my endoscopy report, etc. and we decided to do a barium swallow one more time to get more information.. re: pouch size and band placement. He'll compare it with the one I had done shortly after my March re-positioning surgery. I'll get an appointment hopefully the week after Thanksgiving...and will update everyone as soon as I know something.

Reflux is better... not gone, but better. He advised nothing solid after 5 p.m. -- and avoid fatty and spicy foods. Knew about the spicy, but give up my favorite fatty foods??? Okay, okay! And remembing to not lay down after eating!

Thanks so much everyone!!

Elizabeth

Trying to AVOID reflux takes major mental power.

So, NOTHING solid after 5 pm?

goodness, that right there is hard to do, let alone not eating spicy/high fat foods!

*sigh* what we will go through to lose weight....