Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cancel banding because of Migraines?

I am feeling like I may have to cancell my banding in December.

I want to cry and scream..............

I suffer with severe migranes due to hormones every month so september 1st I had an operation that I was hopeing was going to practically make my periods stop. It's called a baloon obilation where they literally burn the inside of your uterus.

Well to make a long story short it doesn't seem to have worked.

I havent had a migrane since september and I thought things were ok until yesterday and I was hit with a bad one (I have it at this moment but not as severe as yesterday and last night). No Migraine medicine works for me either so I have learned to literally suffer through them. It starts with severe pain in the head then I have whats called an Aura where it literally blinds you and then I get severly sick to my stomach. Once I throw up (and sometimes I force myself to because it relieves me) I start to at least feel better enough to sleep through the head pain. I've heard horror storys about the band flipping because of severe vomiting and thats what I do when I get a migraine, every time.

I am in a quandry as to what I should do now.................

I have waited over a year for insurance approval and all the stupid things they put you through not to mention I have paid over 1000 dollars already.

I don't know what to do.........I plan on talking to my doctor sometime today if I can get through to him. I want this so bad but I feel defeated at this moment. Please excuse me while I go and cry and scream in my pillow...

You poor dear. I'm not sure what your doctor is going to say about whether you should have surgery or not. It's true that you want to avoid nausea. There are anti-nausea medications that I've heard of people taking when they get the flu (it's called phenighen or something like that I think). Maybe you could take that when you feel a Migraine hit, but your symptoms are so severe... I just don't know.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I hope that everything works out for you. Feel better soon!

Hi there,

I too suffer from Migraines. The really bad ones, like you get. In fact, I was hospitalized in September because they were so bad. I throw up from time to time, but it doesn't bother my band. Just take it slow and see what your doc says. Don't cancel your surgery just yet ! You can make it work !!!

By the way, did your doc prescribe a medication to prevent them, rather than treat the Migraine? I take meds nightly, and my migraines have decreased.

Good Luck

I have never suffered so bad as you all. I did have Migraines that would make me throw up and the medication would put me to sleep or make me feel doopey. But I have to say after my band I have not had one.. I have had a sinus headache that if left untreated will trigger the Migraine but none right out. Please talk to your Band Doc and see what he thinks before cancelling the surgery. I would hate for you the think what if?? Had you had the Band placed and the Wt loss would it had stopped or decreased them.

Oh please hang in there! I'm really anxious to hear what your doctor has to say...because I've thought of this exact situation with the band. I have the same kind as you ~ I can hold my hand right in front of my face and I can maybe only see a fingertip. Throwing up does help releive the Migraine ~ I asked my doctor why, because I just couldn't put the two together. When you throw up, your body will rush blood to where your body is 'traumatized', thus relieving the pressure in your head. I can't use any of the migraine meds out there either because I can't tell that they do a thing, or they make me REALLY sick. Maybe you can get something that can just knock you completely out. I know it's hard to do that, but you can't function with the migraine anyway. Who knows, the band may actually help. You're in my prayers and keep us posted!!

I have suffered with Migraines since I was 12. 3 years ago I went on every type of Migraine medicine on the market and nothing seemed to help. I fould that the Imitrex injection gives some slight relief but still not a cure. I had my band surgery on July 28th of this year and have gone from 3 or 4 migraines a month to 0. I haven't had to give myself a shot in almost 4 months. Maybe being banded will help with your pain? I know that was one of my comorbidies. I hope that you can resolve this and still get your band. I will keep you in my thoughts. ~Mandy

I would look at it as you can just as easily pick up any other kind of illness or gastro that will cause vomiting. YOu could get food poisoning any day of the week. Even though Migraine medications arent working for you, cant you take an anti nausea medication or get a shot when a migraine comes on?

How horribly frustrating, I know how you feel, I'm miserable at home today (and have been all this week) with an ulcerated right cornea, so I cant drive or see properly. I've seen a surgeon about excimer laser treatment to cure this recurrent problem, he'd formerly told me to just wait and see but I'm over suddenly waking up without warning with my eyes not functioning. I rang the office and they fit me on the very next list, yep 9 December, the day of my lap band operation.

I've elected to wait until January and February next year to get each eye done, but I'm hoping against hope my blasted eyes just behave till the ops over and done.

Talk to your doctor about the scopolomine patch for nausea, it works great. I have had migrains since i was 11 years old. The same as you, you just learn to live throught it. I have not had a headache since i was banded. You can live throught the pain it is the nausea and vomiting you are worried about. I would have the surgery.

I hate to NOT be encouraging

but my band gives me migranes.. its gave me two and a half since june.. before that I had only had two in the previous year (my first ones)

ALL three times was when I was too tight and having some emergency type stress..related all to the band.

ALL LAST NIGHT I was fighting one off... I made everyone leave, all lights out, put on two Patches of morphine and was tryinng so hard not to cry becasue I couldnt take my migrane pill... (too tight to even crush it) and if I had to GO to ER to get an injection that would trigger it even worse..

aNYWAY... Thats the first time I had a 1/2 migrane.. I subdued it..(well I did have another half of one nce but that was cuz I took the pill and it didnt blow outta control)

and I went for an unfill today and the migrane was a factor..........

I came home feeling great (and allowed everyone to come home)

I can suffer ANYTHING but MIGRANES make me suicidal.

For those of you who suffer them since you were young or for years... You must be so strong. But I guess it could be like the other pain I have sufferd,and got used to.. but this is new to me and I am so happy the nausia pill they give me helps nip it in the bud, cuz the first times I thought I was gonna die.

Thank you everyone for all your posts. I truely truely mean it!

I thought I was the only one out here with this problem and all your responses have made me feel so much better, not that I wish migranes on anyone but it's amazing how many people really suffer with them.

I am feeling better today about getting the band because I talked to my Doctor and he gave me some anti nausea medicine and I took it in the afternoon and it seemed to work but it did make me quite groggy, I can deal with groggy. I haven't talked to my banding Doctor yet but I feel much more hopefull about the band now.

Thanks again All!

I can say I have never tried reflexology for Migraines. I have tried reflexology for other things but the migraines are so incredibly severe for me that even my relaxation tapes a hot bath or shower or even message does nothing to help.

I'm SO happy for you!!! If you can deal with Migraines, feeling groggy & loopy is nothing! Just don't drive if it's really bad, but I'm glad to hear that your doctor is helping you out with the nausea! WOO HOO!!

Just a FYI, I had migrains with increasing frequency 4 yrs ago, Dentest said it was tmj, Chiropracter said I had my atlas out of allignment, My gynocologist said I had to much estrogen and gave me a lupron shot. I bagan having a reaction to Zomig and ended up in er getting a heart stent. After the stent, I have had not one migrain. Womens heart symptoms are different than men. The true revelation came when I found out that I had sleep apnea and didnt realize it. I found out that poor breathing durring sleep can also cause migrains. So please do what you can for your weight as it affects all of the above areas. You just may find it is tha best thing for your headachs.

Hi, your hormones can take you thur, a whirlpool of trips, and you're still young, but, eventually it will easy, off, and then you can enjoy life, just hang in there, the band and weight loss , will be such a relive that , when your Migraines slow down , you will be able to enjoy life..

--------------------------------------

margie,

4/5/04

ny. dr. texeria

295lbs. till date 247lbs.

slow but safe.