Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from southern california

When i was in the 10th grade i hit 200 lbs and thought i would just die!! Throughout the years i packed on a couple here and a couple there. I met my husband in 1997 and was 219 lbs. I then had 2 children (which i lost weight when i was pregnant) and gained 83 lbs after my last one. So there i was 30 years old and 302 lbs. I had diabetes, i barely could tie my shoes and the worst thing ever happened to me. We were at an amusement park and i was asked to get off the ride cause i couldn't get the seat belt buckled!!

***JAW DROPPING***

followed by

***Crying***

That was it!! I started the Atkins diet along with my husband and was pretty successful. I lost 100 lbs and got down to 203 and the hubby (of course) lost all his 85 lbs and still has it off UGH! I fell off that wagon and just cant stick with eating no carbs for the rest of my life so i now have gained 50 lbs back!! This past June i decided to look into LapBand surgery and felt it was the right thing for me. Of course you cant just walk in and get it :thumbup: First thing was i had to have my gall bladder out because of stones, they cant to lapband if you have gall stones. Then i had a bacteria in my stomach which caused to much acid, got that taken care of with 15 pills a day of antibiotic, thought i was gonna be really sick then HAHA. The insurance asked me to see a nutritionist for 6 months and then they would approve it. Then they said i have to see a different dr because the surgery center i was going to wasnt a COE (Center of Excellence). UGH So i did that yesterday and this dr says im ready to go already so they put it through to the insurance this morning. Almost there :)

Well that's me as of now, in a nutshell of course.

Welcome to the forum! I'm in San Diego, ca so very very southern cali! =) Now that you're done with all the hoops & hurdles the process will go fast so congrats! The pre op & couple wks of post op dieting can be difficult & yes you may still be giving a lot of the carbs you like (flour bread, rice & such) but its still a worthwhile experience. To have lost so much weight on Atkins you're sure to do well with your band! Best of luck!

Hi Tracie,

I am from San Clemente. Not quite as far south as Sashay and I am having my surgery in 7 days. I am 38, 5'7" and weigh 237. It wasn't until last week I realized just how ready I was for this life change. All of my friends and co-workers as all thin, small & cute. I have never shared my weight with ANYONE. EVER! I was talking to my boss last week about all these changes that I will be going through and I found myself telling her my true weight. And then on the same day, I also told my best friend. That is when I realized that I am completly dedicated to loosing this weight, getting healthier and taking control of my life. For me, this was my 1st step.

I have been making myself crazy recently about the what if's? What if the band slips, or erodes into my stomach or I don't loose anything, but.....what if I don't have the surgery, what happens then. I have gained 7 lbs since January and I am a diabetic with Hypertension and a bad back with a lot of pain. And again I am only 38. So, with these health challenges that I already have, the surgery sounds like heaven to me.

Good luck and I am sure that you will get your date soon. Once you get it though, don't start thinking of reasons not to get the surgery. Keep up the momentum!! :eek:

Welcome - sounds like you're ready to rock! I'm in Bakersfield, CA...we still consider ourselves Southern :eek:. Best of luck to you on your journey - it's the best decision I ever made for myself!

And to the last girl who talked about discussing her true weight? Wow - same here! I'm not ashamed anymore of telling people I work with, on Facebook, etc. of how much I actually weigh or what I started out at (338). I'm also not ashamed of posting "before" pictures...to me, they're all badges of honor that I can look back on throughout the journey and say, "Yeah, I'm down almost 50 pounds...I'm awesome!" I've found the encouragement from my friends and colleagues amazing as well - yay for being public and no longer hiding behind our weight!