Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost all will power??

Has anyone in this journey come to a point where they just stopped having the will power??

I started at 285 lbs back in July and when I reached my surgery goal of 250 in Jan I had my band placed.

I have since gotten as low as 223, and all of a sudden BAM I stopped trying!? I cant seen to focus and when I do get back on track, I end up loosing control by night time. I stopped working out, etc.

Today I am back up to 232.8 (I was JUST 224 a week ago, so that shows how fast I have gained).

I have read that fills help alot. I have 5 CCs in my band, and I only get fills when my surgeon feels I need one (Its their own private program and we follow their rules).

Just looking to hear I am not the only one who has fallen before, and just hoping for some info or pointers to get back on the game. Eating 4 poptarts yesterday sure isnt the answer. :smile:

Hang in there Tamra, you are NOT alone. My weight loss has been very slow and sometimes I don't want to work anymore. Because I know myself so well I don't beat myself up -- that has never worked for me. Usually, what I do is pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again. Eventually I will get tired of "sitting down" ... I'm not falling, I'm sitting. LOL I am a "night eater" and I struggle with this so much that I often lose heart. But, I'm not giving up because this is MY life and I am the one that can make a difference for me -- I AM THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN CHANGE MY LIFE. So, I just keep getting up.

There are a lot of people on this forum that will have some very good suggestions for you on exactly how to get back on track. Pick the one that suits you and get back in the game. WE CAN DO THIS!

All the best to you on your journey.

Thanks Phran, its so nice to know I am not alone!!

I tried the 5 day pouch test and had great sucess with it, dropped 7 lbs off the bat but then after I ate regular food again BOOM!! I lost control!

I just hope I find a plan and something that works soon! My program has a menu of foods we can and cant eat, amounts, etc. but I get so bored with it....*sigh*

tamra,

Sorry you are having such a rough time. It's tough to get back on track once you've fallen off. My first and foremost advice is to get a fill. You certainly don't have proper restriction if you can eat enough to gain the weight you report. Tell your doctor exactly what's going on. If they don't think you need a fill, I would seriously consider finding another doctor.

Until proper restriction happens, I would focus on eating the right things (high protien, low carb, low fat blah blah). Eat when your hungry, just eat the right things.

Begining an excersise routine would help a lot as well. It will reduce your hunger and make you feel great. It's so tough to get started but well worth it. Start out slow and gradually increase your time and intensity.

Hope this helps and best wishes to you!

Hi VLP thanks for the response! sadly, a fill is not an option, and if I find a different Dr to do so it's outside of my insurance and that would cost me out of pocket (which being unemployed and just starting school again isn't an option). With my insurance (Kaiser Permenente) fills are given when you loose weight to adjust the band around your then smaller body. Its not done because you can eat. A lot of people think it sucks lol but I don't mind.

I am going to try and wrap my head around why I did this (my daughter) and just try to keep on going!!!

I really don't know anything about your insurance, but that no-fill-without-weight-loss-policy kind of defeats the purpose of the band. After all, if you don't have restriction, you will be hungry and want to eat more. I would still go back to the doctor and tell him what's going on. You may not get a fill, but he should know about the problems that you are having.

If you have to get back on track without the benefit of the fill, it's just the same old diet and exercise routine we are all used to. First, start eating mainly solid food and a substantial amount of Protein. That should help you maximize whatever restriction you have. Then maybe if you can get some weight off, he will let you have another fill. And as the previous poster said, exercise will help with the hunger,too.

I really feel for what you are going through. I've done that same thing on Weight Watchers and similar programs, so many times. I love my band because I don't count points or follow anyone else's food choices. The more rules they give me; the more I want to break them. I guess I'm just a rebellious teen at heart.

Cindy

What a frustrating situation for you! I realize that willpower is the name of the game at the beginning. I was also banded in January, so I definitely relate to the difficulties of drawing on willpower.

But for me, restriction is very, very close---and my doctor is very, very willing to do fills as needed. Having that light at the end of the tunnel makes it so much easier to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

I hate that you don't seem to have that light!

What criteria does your doctor use to determine whether you need a fill? Ideally, the decision should be based not only on their objective measurements (weight loss, etc), but also on how YOU feel. And if you're white-knuckling it and gaining weight, then that's a pretty good sign you need the help the band is designed to provide. I think it's unconscionable that the doctor's agenda does not align with the intended use of the device--and I'd want him to explain why.

It's well within your rights as a patient to question the rationale of a doctor who will not work with you. Blanket policies that ignore the needs of individual patients do not meet standards of care, and I would really want a very explicit explanation for why they are resisting appropriate use of the band they willingly installed. You are upholding YOUR end of the bargain---they need to be accountable for their part.

In fact, they may have a plan that involves stepping things up now that you're a little further postop. But unless you ask--and really express that you're having difficulty---you won't know.

You don't have to blindly accept that "this is how they do it." Sometimes, squeaky wheels get the oil.

In the meantime, do the best you can. What kind of eating plan was recommended to you? Can you convince yourself that sticking to it is purely non-optional? I ask, because I find it really kind of relieves me from having to draw on my inner resources if I tell myself that I simply CANNOT deviate. Somehow, keeping that door slammed shut and locked is freeing.