Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My pre-op diet is officially blown

I HATE Soup, absolutely 100% hate it so I had a chicken sandwinch (Applebees weight watcher one )today...surgery is on Friday. Before I tell myself that I would lose just as much weight if I gave my body something to munch on, or that I will not be able to eat it again and so that somehow justifies me eating it now and after I eat I regret it immediatly...and then that passes. I can't even adhear to the pre-op diet, what's life going to be like after surgery. *UGH*

Its hard belive me... we all go thourgh it. But once you have your surgery you wont think about food the first few days.. Well I know I didnt. Anyway you have to sick to what your Dr. Tells you that is very Important!! Good Luck with everything you are going to be fine.

Get thee to a phone book and find the number of a reputable therapist! We've all got food issues here and struggle with our demons. It doesn't get easier, it only gets harder after you are banded.

I agree that the pre-op diet is hard...but it's nothing compared to what lies ahead. There is a time when you won't be able to cheat or you'll risk doing major damage.

That being said, one slip up isn't the end of the world. Get back on that horse!!! The demons want to find and exploit any weaknesses. You need to be strong. And a good therapist will help you put some tools in your toolbox you can use to fight off those demons and keep them in the cage.

Luck!!

Was it doctor ordered? If so, I would cal him. The reason they ask you to stay on the pre op diet isn't for you to lose weight; it's so your liver will shrink enough for your stomach to be in view.

Jini, I have to agree with giveyouthemoon; Try your hardest to tell yourself that you just don't want food right now. Do whatever you have to do to get your mind off of it, because it is a LOT harder after the surgery. I have been banded 1 week, and I must admit that it has been a living hell thus far. You will be so hungry, but you will only be able to drink liquids. So if you do not get used to it now, you WILL struggle with it later, after the surgery. You can do this!!! Keep trying, you WILL get through. Take care :)

Guest John

Jini, the day before my surgery I cooked a full Thanksgiving feast. My doctor had no restrictions until 12mn the night before. So I think you should be ok.

It is a week today and I did my liquids fine. Stay up beat and You will be ok

Good Luck

i had no preop either. I was also told that liquids are what you can suck through a straw, ask your doctor for clarifications. I put Soup in the blender with broth and was fine, i could not wait for the mushy foods and then to go on real food.

you will be fine, you will be suprised at how little will fill you up..

:)

Thanks guys...i'll do better, i went and got out of the house so I would not eat anything else and that helped. I just need to keep my mind off of it, because i suddenly get nervous about doing this and wonder if it will all be worth it, and I know the answer to that already.

Jini - If your diet was ordered by the doc, you do need to make a phone call and tell him happened. It may not be a big deal but you don't want to wait until surgery day and find out you have to reschedule.

I am on day 6 of my Clear Liquids pre op so I'm not just blowing smoke. I know how hard it is. Today I think I've resigned myself to it and it is easier. Days 1-5 were a bitch! Good luck.

See my doctors packet told me it was to shrink my liver. My doctor when i expressed to him how hard this was going to be basically said "it is to speed up your weight loss". Could it be because I am only 212 lbs that it's not VITAL and I haven't completely screwed up with the chicken sandwinch?

My doc told me that if I couldn't stay on the liquid diet then I could have one small low fat meal a day. So I had alot of Soup and 1 meal per day except the day before surgery where I just had pure liquids! Anyways, I don't think it really matter b/c the girl in the waiting room told me she had fajitas and maragritas the night b4 surgery. Don't worry that you cheated - it's hard to go hungry. Don't start thinking you won't be able to do the liquids after surgery b/c after surgery you don't even feel like eating and it's much easier!

Laura, that is SO GOOD TO KNOW! I have only had a chicken sandwinch today. So that could count as my 1 small meal. I was/am so worried. I think alot of it is simply nerves but still...THANK YOU FOR THAT

It's so wild how every Dr. has their own set of crazy rules. My Dr. had me go on a low carb diet for 2 weeks before surgery to shrink my liver & Clear Liquids the day before. My Dr. is not as stricked as most, but luckly I did not have as tough a time before or after. The beginning is hard, but you will get thru it. good luck Friday.

I am 218 and was told just eat light the day before surgery.I did not need to shrink my liver because I was not that big.You should be fine.

Jini - I would still call the doctor and tell him. It's better to be safe than sorry. He may say it's okay but you really need him to say it. He is the one performing the surgery and he has his rules for a reason.