Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you cook for your family when you were on the liquid phase???Very picky eaters.

I am getting very nervous.I told my husband that he will have to cook for five weeks since I will be on liquids. How can I cook when all I can have is liquids. It is time for ME. I HAVE to get healthy. Am I wrong ? Can I stand there and cook food that I cannot have???Will it be to tempting??? Am I worried over nothing?

What I did the weekend before my surgery was cook cook cook and freeze freeze freeze. I made all sorts of things and just stuck it in the freezer. I thought the same thing you did that I would have a hard time. So when DH came home at night I had something defrosted for him. Breakfast & lunch he did himself. But I had to feed my DD who's 4. That was easy, a quick pnutbutter & jelly sand, or some ckn nuggets thrown in the oven wasn't a killer. If you don't wanna cook get him some frozen hungry man dinners or something like that. Lots of times grocery stores will have premade foods you can pick up that are not frozen. He'll live LOL.

You'll do just fine.

I wish he would eat that stuff.No hamburger Helper or TV dinners aroud here. When he was single and working 70 hours a week he got burnt out on the easy stuff. He is the pickeist eater I have ever seen. I will cook and freeze some meals.But he is just going to have to deal with it.

Well...Im with you in the feeling that its time for you! My theroy was IF I CAN'T EAT IT, I AINT COOKING IT. I didn't want to be tempted. I did the frozen foods like Hungry Man and Hot Pockets too. My son is disabled and only eats a SMALL varity of things so feeding him wasn't the issue. Im still not cooking, and its 6 months after the fact. My husband usually eats dinner out....hes never home for dinner anyway. I did go back to cooking, but only for a short time. What ever I would cook, he would end up microwaving and throwing it out...sooo why waste like that? I can't eat a huge meal any more...soo why bother? I guess the bottom line is, do what ever works for you and what ever your comfortable with. I couldn't stand there cooking and then NOT eat it, or at least taste to make sure it was right....

Haaaaaa thata girl LOL !!!!

I can't blame him for the hamburger helper thing ICK!!! but frozen home made food isn't to bad. Do you have a crock pot? You can throw everything under the sun in there in the morning and you won't have to deal with it all day, so by the time he gets home viola! dinner is in the pot, help yourself.

The have lots of things these days to make cooking fast and easy, Shedspread (I think thats the brand) now has mac & cheese, mashed taters and stuff like that already made and not frozen. Its usually by the ckn nuggest that are not frozen. Put a piece of keilbasa in the oven, and nuke the mac & cheese and poof, your out of the kitchen in 5 minutes LOL !!!

I felt the same way. My husband has been on nights for years so I didn't think it would be too hard. He was on his own during the week. Unfortunately, he went on days the very week of my surgery! My timing is always just a little off. Anyway, for the first two weeks, I was actually mad at him any time he would eat (He did his own cooking). I am finally over that but glad my liquid/mushy stage is almost over.

I thought I would feel the way you do before the op. I had a fair few frozen things to use while I was recovering. Pasta sauce, casseroles etc. But when I felt better I actually found I was in the kitchen a little bit more than usual. AND I wasn't cooking to my tastes. I didn't realise until the op, alot of our meals were what I felt like lol. So once the liquids went down fairly easily I had more spare time. I'd cook a yummy meal for the family and rather than sit there watching them I'd be straight into the kitchen and tidying up while they were still eating. You'll be surprised how much more time you have while you're on liquids.

Good luck :)

I cooked for my family as well, I didn't want my husband to poison himself or the kids. I won't say it was easy, because it sure as hell wasn't, but I did it. I actually had to go to our bedroom and watch tv to get away from the spagetti I had made one night.

I cooked for my family as well, I didn't want my husband to poison himself or the kids. I won't say it was easy, because it sure as hell wasn't, but I did it. I actually had to go to our bedroom and watch tv to get away from the spagetti I had made one night.

LOL!!! husband poisoning the kids???? I thought I was the ONLY one that had that fear.... :) how funny!

like some of the others, I cooked and usually sat at the table. Our dinner time is usually our biggest and best family time, so I didnt want to disrupt the routine.

Although!!!! I need to add that this is easy to do for the first 3 weeks. After the 3rd week of no real food, you start getting H U N G R Y - very hungry! (but dont worry, you will make it) So this is when it will be hard to sit and smell the food - and NOT eat it.

LOL...Paula...ok, he is not quite that bad, he can open a mean can of spagettios and franks or heat up a frozen dinner like nobody's business. He really has been super supportive througout this entire thing...I shouldn't bust his chops over this.

Uhm, when you said picky eaters, I assumed you were talking about kids.

You need to do what you need to do. If that means that you stay completely out of the kitchen, then you stay out of the kitchen. I assume you have cookbooks, and I assume he can read and folow directions. He can cook his own damn food.< /p>

My son went through a phase where he decided he wanted to be a picky eater and thought that if he didn't want to eat what I'd cooked that I should have to cook something else. Heh, wrong assumption on his part! If he didn't like what I cooked then he could make either a cheese or a PB&J sandwich.

Being selfish is not a bad thing. It gets a bad rap, because if we are not selfish, if we do not fulfill our needs then we have nothing for anyone one else. Can't get Water from an empty pitcher. Obviously, you can't carry this to the extreem, otherwise you are either a 3 year-old, or my Mother. My family doesn't like certian foods and flavors, so I rarely if ever use them. For instance, they don't like mushrooms or olives. If I want these thing, I am usually out of luck, but sometimes I make things to my tastes and they are out of luck. Ok, when I'm at home, I always make to their tastes because I feel sorry for them and me.

But if you husband is such a picky eater, then I say he should have to cook half the meals. If he doesn't know how to use the crockpot, he can learn.

I don't think it is reasonable for you to *have* to cook during this phase. Especially for someone who is capable of feeding himself. You are his wife and not his mommy.

Maybe this is a naïve question from an unmarried person, but why do you have to prepare all the meals? Forgetting about the whole liquid diet thing – does he ever prepare dinner for the family or is it always you?

This is one of the reasons I wonder why people get married.

The other reason is I’m cynical, completely hardened, and don’t believe in lasting love, but that’s a whole other conversation…