Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for the banded...

I'm worried, i've heard alot about people getting depressed after surgery or regret that they have gotten the band and all of that. How common is that? How common are mood swings and what not? I'm nervous, my biggest fear right now is regret...

My second biggest fear is going back to work and my attitude affecting my job. I teach 1st grade and so pissy is not really an option for me. *Gasp* Help.

I did feel some depression a few days after surgery, I think this is a common occurance with any major surgery. It will pass, just try and keep a positive attitude and make sure that you have a good support system available to you.

I clearly remember regretting that I had undergone surgery only hours after I had it done, it was so new and strange, now I appreciate having had it done.

Now I look forward to having my 1ST fill on friday so that I can start losing weight and moving forward with my life. Best wishes.

I agree with Laura, once you see the scale start to go down it makes you feel better. I also believe that the first few weeks are the worst b/c you can't eat solid food and this makes it hard when you go out or you see others eating. But remember this too shall pass.

Now that i can go out and eat, or at least get Soup, I feel better and I don't feel like an outcast.

You'll be okay and when your kids see you smiling b/c your losing the weight and feeling good, you'll be even more happy.

I didn't remember ever having to deal with any depression in relation to my surgery. It has been a great experience overall. I didn't even have the bad gas pains that crops up most of the time.

I'm with Capt'n Jack. I didn't feel so much depressed as the "oh my gawd, what have I done!!!???" I don't know that it helped that my body was freaking out as well. ("what is this thing?????? Ahhhh!!!" ) Things have to shift to accomidate the new port and tubing and band.

But very soon I started to feel ever so much better, and the NSVs started to roll in.

I did get depressed because I was a turtle, but I'm working on that. (well, the turtleness was only part of my depression.)

I had a visit with my therapist right before surgery and she let me know that getting a bit depressed is normal after ANY kind of surgery. Normal. It is part of the healing process. Embrace it!

And it is important to grieve the loss of your usual companion, food. Your relationship to food changes dramatically and feeling a bit blue is not only normal, it's essential to moving through the loss.

Don't let a potential blue period sway you from getting the band. It is so, so, so, so, so, so worth it!!!!!!

I didnt have any depression at all. I had a very rough time of it physically the first 3 days or so but after the 4th day I was at about 80% feeling fine. I teach 6th grade and was banded on a Thursday and returned to work the very next Thursday. I think I actually felt better getting makeup on, dressed nice, and getting back out in the real world. It makes me feel rotten to lay around the house in sweats/gown all day. I did have "what the hell have I done" moments the first 2-3 days, but I expected them and wasnt very concerned.

Here on the boards, I've read about the depression quite a few times.

For myself however, other than the initial "OMG what have I done?!?" when I was in the recovery room, everything went smoothly in the mental end. That said, I did struggle later down the track with not having comfort food anymore. Alot of people tend to mourn the loss of their friend food. Having this board has helped me immensely in that department.

This is so good to hear and it is reassuring. I think I just have to expect it and realize it is coming and work hard to keep everything in perspective (perhaps a list of why i want to get this done is in order...). It's just frightening because I have never had surgery and here I am opting for this life changing (for the better) procedure.

You may experience a Blue time..it is more so from the loss of food, food has been our best friend for many years, giving it up for the first few weeks during the healing and post op phase could create some saddness, but once you start to see the results, it all goes away. The great thing about the band for me is I still enjoy food and Iam losing weight! You will be fine :D

Hmmm I had no problems with depression or what have I done - after surgery - everything went wonderful, has gone wonderfully - yea I wish the scales were moving quicker but life's a bitch and not everything is easy. But no regrets - no second thoughts - only have worries of possible erosion, flipped ports or infection in the future - now those are my only concerns.