Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, I'm sure that some of you are probably wondering why I never thought to ask my doctor this before, but I really didn't think about this until now.

After you get a few fills under your belt and actually begin to feel restriction, how do you manage to eat a healthy amount of calories. I know my doctor told me to try and finish my meal within 20 minutes. So, how do you finish your meal in that amount of time while taking only tiny bites and chewing everything over and over? I just don't see how it will ever be possible to eat a cup of food within 20 minutes without eating too fast and getting sick. So, is this just my thinking or is this really possible?

Well I have been banded for over a year now and my doctor never told me to hurry and eat my meal within 20 minutes..I was told to eat slow and chew chew chew..I don't rush myself otherwise I will get stuck and well we have all been there...not a good thing..the other way I supply myself with calories is by drinking Protein Shakes. I am almost 17 weeks pregnant so I need more calories now then I did before and I just eat what I can and I usually drink 2 Protein shakes a day..I seem to get my share amount of vitamins..I honestly don't count calories I just eat what I want within a reasonable amount..I know if I want a Peanut Butter and jelly sandwich (yes I can eat bread) that I only make a half sandwich because there is no way I can eat a whole one..I only eat til I get full and if it isn't all my food so be it..seems to be working I have lost over 50 lbs so far and even though I am pregnant I keep losing..so my advice is to not worry about if your getting enough calories and the amount of time it takes you to eat just eat til your full and not another bite..and supplement your diet with a Protein Shake and vitamins...good luck :thumbup: hope this helps I think everyone has their own opinions and their doctors have told them something different..:laugh:

I suggest you check out a book called Eating For Life by Bill Phillips. I don't think the Lap Band should be all about counting calories. We've done that before with our previous failed diets. In the book, it is all about eating the right foods, the right amounts, the right combos, and the at the right times. It's about a great combination of Protein, carbohydrates (many people think they are bad, but we need them! They are the first and foremost a source of immediate engery!), essential fats (omega-6 fatty acid and omega-3 fatty acid are good for you!), Vitamins and minerals, and last but not least, Water.

I really suggest you read this book. You can get it on half.com, ebay.com, or Amazon.com for half the price. I'm seriously not going to spend the rest of my counting stupid calories. Trust me.

(My surgeon strongly recommends this book, and I can see why.) :thumbup:

Many posts have indicated being told to eat 1 cup of food at a time. I was never told this. I was told to get at least 60 gms of protien, 5 servings fruit and veggies and 2 Calcium servings. Even with restriction, I believe I eat more than 1 cup at a time- especially when it includes veggies.

I agree the 20 minute time line doesn't make a lot of sense. We should be eating slowly, small bites and chew chew chew.

It often takes me more than 20 minutes to eat which is weird because I have practically inhaled my food for my whole life. My doc said 30 minutes but it often takes me 40. Lighten up because there are a lot of things that seem like they won't work. I did not think I would be able to drink all the Water I needed by waiting an hour before and after meals. It did not seem like there were enough hours in the day for that. I found that I am fine if I wait a half hour after meals anyway. Also all the nutrients we are supposed to need don't fit into 3 one cup meals a day and two Snacks. I don't get them all in so I just try to vary my diet so I can get them all in two or three days. I am healthier than I have ever been. I am happier than I have ever been... Amazing!!! Hugs to all!!!!

Thank you for all the comments about my post. According to what you guys are saying, the diet principles that my doctor gave me seem a little off. This is a rough draft of what they say:

Drink 64 oz of H2O a day

Eat 70 grams of Protein

Take Multi-Vitamin

Everything in moderation

Chew foods to the consistency of applesauce

Eat Slow

A meal should take at least 20 minutes, no more that 30 min

I see my doctor on the 25th and I'm going to ask him about my question. I do not want to get sick, so I am eating slow and chewing very well. I just feel like I'm not getting in all the veggies and fruit that I probably need to.

Manda87: I will order that book. Maybe that is just the kind of help I need. I think it will help me if it has helped you!

I think it's a good question-- I discussed with my doctor that I'm not interested in having so much restriction that I can't eat a small, well balanced, healthy meal 3 x per day. That means lean Protein, veggies or fruit and whole grain. About a small plates full. She said that that is what they strive for-- not a tiny little 4 or 8 oz meal only. My goal for restriction is to be full after that small plateful and to not be hungry between meals.

I may not lose as quickly as others- but I feel like I'm doing great so far-- 26 pounds in less than two months is much better than I hoped for-- but I'm not hungry, I know I'm getting in good Vitamins, minerals, Fiber and Protein.< /p>

I think it's a good question-- I discussed with my doctor that I'm not interested in having so much restriction that I can't eat a small, well balanced, healthy meal 3 x per day. That means lean Protein, veggies or fruit and whole grain. About a small plates full. She said that that is what they strive for-- not a tiny little 4 or 8 oz meal only. My goal for restriction is to be full after that small plateful and to not be hungry between meals.

I may not lose as quickly as others- but I feel like I'm doing great so far-- 26 pounds in less than two months is much better than I hoped for-- but I'm not hungry, I know I'm getting in good Vitamins, minerals, Fiber and Protein.< /p>

I am also a slow loser and PROUD OF IT!!!

I do not have my band full to the point of following each guideline to a T. I have enough restriction not to feel hungry, but have no issues eating healthy, well balanced meals.

I am SOOOOOO HAPPY being able to feel "normal" when it comes to eating, I don't mind losing slower than most. I don't PB, get stuck or slime and can eat dry chicken breast and broccoli without fear. I LOOOVE my band!!!

I'm getting a little concerned reading all of these posts. My Dr. has told me no more than 2 oz at a time and eat no more than 3x per day. About 99.9% of what I eat is Protein. I had some Pasta once, but that is it. He told me I could have a fruit or a vegetable with the protein, but in total it can't be more than 2oz. It sounds like a lot of people are eating more than that and still losing weight. It sounds like I may need to talk to the nutrionist again about how much I eat.

Mary, it can be really confusing with so much information out there, but I am just going to add to it!:smile:

Some guidelines, that I received from my surgeon and nutritionist, are that right after surgery you should not eat more than 2 oz at each meal. Gradually that will be increased to 4 oz. Then as you progress through fills, etc. they aim for 1 cup of food at each meal.They stated that I should eat Protein first, then veggies, then if there is room have some fruit. Actually they said it would be fine to use the fruit as a snack.< /p>

I have been banded for 9 months now. Sometimes I eat more and sometimes less. I have been getting some good restriction from my fills (6.5cc in a 10cc band). Not sure I am my sweet spot yet, but feel that I am able to eat a well balanced meal each day....even if it is spread out into 3 meals and 2 snacks!:drool:

Hope this helps.

I'm getting a little concerned reading all of these posts. My Dr. has told me no more than 2 oz at a time and eat no more than 3x per day. About 99.9% of what I eat is Protein. I had some Pasta once, but that is it. He told me I could have a fruit or a vegetable with the protein, but in total it can't be more than 2oz. It sounds like a lot of people are eating more than that and still losing weight. It sounds like I may need to talk to the nutrionist again about how much I eat.

I would speak to your doctor and ask if he really intends for you to eat only 3/4 c of food in TOTAL for a day for the rest of your life (or until you get to goal). There is no possible way for you to get enough calories to even get out of bed in the morning on that amount of food. Even twice that amount would be too low. Clearly I'm not a doctor, so take my opinion with a grain of salt... but... wow. :smile: I'm just worried about it, that's all...

Diana, Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it! :(

jensmallwood, I was also concerned about the 3/4 C day of total food until I lose all my weight. The nutrionist for my Dr. also said the same thing. I think what I'll do is find another nutrionist, just to get a second opinion. I can certainly understand no more than 2 oz at a time--I don't want to stretch out the pouch I just got. :(

Thank you for your comments!

Mary

I would speak to your doctor and ask if he really intends for you to eat only 3/4 c of food in TOTAL for a day for the rest of your life (or until you get to goal). There is no possible way for you to get enough calories to even get out of bed in the morning on that amount of food. Even twice that amount would be too low. Clearly I'm not a doctor, so take my opinion with a grain of salt... but... wow. :( I'm just worried about it, that's all...

Thank you for all the comments about my post. According to what you guys are saying, the diet principles that my doctor gave me seem a little off. This is a rough draft of what they say:

Drink 64 oz of H2O a day

Eat 70 grams of Protein

Take Multi-Vitamin

Everything in moderation

Chew foods to the consistency of applesauce

Eat Slow

A meal should take at least 20 minutes, no more that 30 min

I see my doctor on the 25th and I'm going to ask him about my question. I do not want to get sick, so I am eating slow and chewing very well. I just feel like I'm not getting in all the veggies and fruit that I probably need to.

Manda87: I will order that book. Maybe that is just the kind of help I need. I think it will help me if it has helped you!

These guidelines are pretty much what I follow. It makes no sense to me to say "eat a cup of food", when different foods have different densities. One cup of fish is very different from one cup of beef or a cup of spinach. as long as you are getting your protein in, and eating vegetables in reasonable portions, you should be meeting your goals. If you are still hungry less that 4 hours after eating these portions, consider getting a fill.

I sometimes take more than 20 minutes to eat. I think the point of the time limit is to keep people from grazing, because when you graze, you wind up eating much more than intended.