Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone bandsters start at 400lbs?

I was 380lbs and went a good 2yrs avoiding scales & yoyo dieting I may have hit 400 once or twice. Honestly at my size I don't even notice a 20lbs loss or gain! But I was banded 2 weeks ago at 360lbs. I loss 20lbs pre op dieting & have loss 5lbs a week so far post op consistantly (10lbs in 2wks post op). I have some restriction from the empty band alone, although I know that's not common but is possible. Just going through thjs process has been so much more motivating than dieting alone. I have never felt so confident that my lifestyle change was permanent.

I think for us larger bandsters the band has faster results early on because we are suddenly eating so little. (And feeling full so we're not cheating!) The bigger we are the higher our BMR (basal metabolic rate) so we require more caloric intake to maintain our size or gain even just laying in bed all day. So when you're eating 800-1200 calories a day and you technically need say 3000cal you're bound to lose weight. A defecit of 3500calories is equivilant of 1lb loss. Combine that with healthy food choices & excercise and you're going to lose. If you're mentally prepared to follow the program (ie: not eat around the band) success is inevitable! 400lbs doesn't scare the band! =) you can totally do this! Stay positive & inspired!

Hello :smile: I'm hovering around 400 pounds myself. I actually was 430, but ended up in the hospital, as I had to have my left big toe removed due to a MRSA infection. I did lose 30 pounds since March, and my lap band surgery is tentatively scheduled for July. I for one am very much looking forward to getting into speedo shape *LOL*. Okay, maybe not, but in all seriousness, even us super sized folks can do it. I know you will be just fine :thumbup:

Wow all of you are inspiration to me! I had began to second think about whether I needed to do RYN or lapband. But decided since I wanted to have more children I would continue on with my lapband. I am hoping that I will be as successful as you all have been! Thanks again!:thumbup:

I am having so much trouble getting the 10% off so they can set up the surgical date. I was 404, lost down to 381 and now I am back up to 398 eating carbs. Ugh, I am just so fustrated with myself. If I can't even get the 10% off so they can set the appt. how can I ever be succesful after the surgery. I am just so unhappy with me right now.

Linda

398.4 YUCK, I need to get at least 40lbs off before they will be willing to set the surgery date!