Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly banded - a leak already?

Hi all,

I have been a lurker for some time, but finally decided to post as I fear the worst might have happened. I would really appreciate some input as I am feeling really worried right now about my band...

I was banded 2 months ago (self pay). Everything seemed to be going well. Because of the doctor being 3 hours away, I decided to get my fills with a fill doctor where I live ( recommended by my surgeon - has been doing fills for his patients who live here for 3+ years).

I had 3 cc put in at the time of surgery in my Allergan band. That mostly wore off over the next month, so went for my first fill, 4 weeks later. I went to my fill doctor, had 1 cc put in, bringing me to 4 cc. that created a huge difference, and I finally started experiencing true restriction - smaller portions, not being hungry between meals, etc...It was just amazing!

The effect of the fill did start to wear off 10 days or so after the fill. I was still eating less than before the first fill, but I could feel that my portions were getting bigger, I was feeling hungrier, etc...

So I went in for another fill 2 days ago, and only asked for a tiny amount to be put in (0.5 cc). I was so scared of being overfilled, and just wanted to get back to that good restriction that I had with the previous fill. That brought me to 4.5 cc overall.

Things have gone terribly wrong since then. I started on solids yesterday evening, and have been shocked by the amount of food I was able to eat, or more like GULP!!! My restriction seems to have TOTALLY gone: any restriction that I had left from that first fill seems to have totally gone after the second!!!

I am shocked, sad, disappointed, and just fear the worst: that the fill doctor might have punctured the port or tube as he gave me this tiny fill....In fact, I am pretty convinced he has...

I am not sure why I am posting...I guess I just feel like venting. I feel so sad, and sorry for myself...To think that I went through ALL of that (and having had to finance the total cost of surgery) and that I might need further surgery to correct it, and further money out (that I won't be able to afford) so soon after being banded (2 months out) is just making me very very sad sad...Not angry but just very very sad...I had such high hopes for this to work, and I could feel it working (I lost 10 pounds already in those 2 months). Now I am so totally unsure...

Any words of support, or insight into this would be appreciated. I will call my surgeon tomorrow to book an appointment with him and have the band checked...

Thanks,

Seldom

Sometimes a fill can feel fine at the dr, and then the next day feels like nothing. I had that happen too. It didn't leak, my body just adjusted. I really don't know the science of how the body does that. Just know you are not alone! Good idea to talk to your Dr. though! Good luck!

lotzasunshine,

Thank you for your reply. Can you please explain further what you mean by : "a fill can feel fine at the doctor... then the body just adjusted?"...Did you have that happen to you? whereby you really felt like you lost restriction for the first few days after a fill? What is that due to?

I know that for my first fill, I was not able to feel the effect of the fill until 4-5 days after the fill. I am just worried because it just seems so sudden...

Thank you so much.

Just thought I would give a quick update. I have not had ANY restriction whatsoever today! I am totally unfilled...I think it's safe to say at this point that all my fill is gone, and that I am back to where I was pre-band. I am angry and mad at this whole thing.

I am just mad at the ease with which this has gone wrong. One wrong poke, and you're back to square one, and having to go through the entire experience again, emotionally, physically, mentally, and financially. And judging from the posts I have read about this on this forum, leaky ports and tubes seem to be a very common problem among bandsters because of faulty fills.

If leaky ports from bad fills are that common of a problem, why are many doctors allowed to do blind fills? Why is it not regulated that all fills be done by fluoro? Why are surgeons trusting other doctors with fills? Why, why, why? To think about the ease with which things could turn wrong (even with the most experienced doctors), you would think more regulations would be put in place to avoid these problems, and having to go through the surgery again, which many self pays would not be able to afford.

It's just disheartening for all of this to go wrong this way, and to be simply told: well, we'll go through surgery again and fix the port and/or tube. If it's that common of a problem, how do I know that my next blind fill would not lead me to another leaky port/ tube? (A few on this board seem to have through this more than once)...

I'm very sorry first off, but I am somewhat feeling the same way. I had my first fill by my surgeon and felt some restriction the next day. When he did the fill he withdrew some Fluid and then added to it so he knew he had got the port.

I went for a second fill and got the Physcian Assistant this time. She proceeded to fill me with one quick poke , at the time I thought wow that was painless and quick you do it better then the Dr. But for the next few days I have felt as if she must have missed because I feel less restriction then before I went. Like a jerk I didnt ask how much she put in so maybe she didnt add a significant amount , Im praying. But I have been wondering if she punched my tube as well or if she missed and the first fill has worn off. All I know is I do not want have problems right from the start as I am only 2 months out. I will be going to the surgeon on Monday so Im praying she didnt poke my tube, while Im praying ill pray for you as well . Good Luck

Hi, I know how you are all feeling... I too have a leak, confirmed today at my fill. I should of had 7cc but I only had 4cc. I lost restriction after a traumatic fill by my doctor a few wks ago. I now have to have my port evaluated under flouroscopy to see where exactly the leak is. (I am self pay too) If it is leaking at the port itself, a replacement port will have to be installed (general anesthesia, $3-4K out of my pocket and another day off work!) If the leak is in the line or the band portion itself, it will have to be fixed laparoscopically, and they haven't given me a price on that yet. I guess I will have to decide once I know how much it will cost me to fix it. I was banded 1/2009 and have lost 50lbs or so. What to do, what to do??? I'm so bummed out and depressed over this. I will try to keep on a diet while all this gets resolved because it may be several wks before I can get the money together...and if the cost is close to or as much as the original surgery (14K) no can do.....:thumbup: