Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too much exercise not enough calories?

When it comes right down to it, its all the same information manipulated a zillion ways.

I mean white flour - bad carbs right? But really, mostly bad because generally white flour products also contain a lot of sugar and often a lot of saturated fat which equals mega calories - Cookies, cakes, crappy cereals, processed breads, nutritionless Pasta and rice. Its not the *carb* element that's really so evil its the fact that you fill up on nutritionally worhtless foods and THEN your body still demands nutrition so you eat more.

Your body doesnt need a lot of fuel after 3pm true, if you're not active then (myself, I tend to exercise at about 6pm). But that's FUEL not carbs. Anythign you eat at 9pm is going to get stored, not burned. Protein, fat OR carbs. There's no magic about the carb element. But by the same token, if you're a night eater and not a morning eater, you burn your stored energy in the morning. I think most night eaters will find they eat a lot of calories at night, more so than if they ate healthy breakfasts and lunches - they get starving and go for high calorie foods, whereas if they ate some Allbran and fruit in the morning and a salad at lunch, they'd eat less calories. THAT's why night eaters gain, not simply because of the time they ate.

If you undereat and you're not losing, you will eventually lose. How would people ever starve to death? Starvation mode isnt really what people imagine it to be.

I think we need to take all information with a grain of salt. I mean, the high Protein low carb message sounded really credible in 1970 and people followed it. But its hard to stick to. Then the low fat high carb message spread. That sounded credible too. All that stuff about high carb foods taking more energy to digest, and the lack of fat and we'd all be magically thin. That hasnt worked (probably becuase people say they're doing high carb low fat but they're really doing high carb, high sugar, high fat!). Now we've come full circle to high protein low carb again. Do we REALLY think its going to be somehow different to 40 years ago?

Same with exercise. Cardio was the buzzword of the 70's. Everyone jogged. Now you'd think it was the worst thing you can possibly do to your body and what's the justification? Just look at the fat people crossing the line in the marathons say the strenght training proponents. It doesnt work? Well, no, nothign works if you follow your 21km half marathon with a McDonalds binge. Or this one "look at that stringy marathoner, and now at this Miss Universe, who would you rather look like?" Um, the marathoner, lol. A bit less extreme, I mean I dont want to run every ounce of muscle and fat off my body the way marathoners do, but I have little desire to look like a female eastern European masseuse either!

I reckon try what appeals and sounds logical, if it works great, if not try something else, do the exercise YOU want to do and not what the latest scientific theory supports. And take everything those personal trainers say with a grain of salt, they're indoctrinated into current fashion for the most part.

The body may be seeing the low calorie intake as a signal that food is not available. Since the bodies job is survival first it will do everything it can to survive, even if that means increasing fat stores by taking needed calories from functions that are seen as not immediately life threatening. This will likely eventually weaken the immune system if it is allowed to continue.