Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hmmmpfh--fills and restriction...how much is too much

It seems that like everyone else, I've identified an obsession....not one with sizes or scales, but with restriction!

I know that we are all different and that a lot of us don't have consistency in restriction during the day to day (and SOOO do not want to risk ever being overfilled), but I am feeling completely clueless yet again about this restriction thing.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I posted that I was really ravenous between meals and I could see my portion sizes were growing (although I was having some stuck episodes, which I really think were due to me just being a bonehead and eating too fast). Luckily, I was able to get a fill appointment for 4/22. Since then, I have been going back and forth on whether or not I should keep the appointment because some days I definitely feel restricted, but most I see that I'm able to eat bigger bites (not that I tried on purpose, but am a bonehead sometimes) and I am hungrier than usual a lot sooner than I should be (and I am getting in 100 grams of Protein a day on average). I was actually able to eat a slice of Papa John's with bacon and green peppers last night with not a single issue (did circuit training last night, so believe me I worked it off LOL), but the week before, I couldn't keep a single bite of a thin crust pizza slice (bad having pizza 2 weeks in a row, but I am sooo not able to get the calories in some days the way I work out)

My doc does his fills under fluoro, so he won't give me a fill if I already "look" restricted, but the thing is what am I going for here? I am about 20 to 30 lbs away from goal, so do I want to be tighter and risk not being able to eat bread, Pasta and rice like I am now? The thing is, a cup of food does NOT satisfy me (never has), so is it bad to eat a 10 ounce meal if I don't have that restriction? Some say if you don't get that chest pain or physical warning that you're full, you can't stretch your pouch, but I'm not one to take chances. I just don't want to be hungry all the time and it seems that is where I'm close to again.

Sorry for the novel. As you can tell I'm still very back and forth if I should get any more put in. Any thoughts or advice as to what you'd do?

Signed,

The never satisfied whiner :cool:

Edited by juliansmom2003

Are you losing at a rate that works for you?

It's a good question... and I'm probably not qualified to answer, but that won't keep me from throwing in my two cents... :eek:

IMO, being so tight that you can't get in your calories is a much bigger problem than being a little less restricted. I would *hate* to be restricted to a 1/2 c or so of food in total at a meal. If I choose high quality food- lean Protein, fruits/veggies, whole grains... I can fill my salad plate, eat that and not be full- but not be hungry either. Even with this volume of food- my calories are probably 1200-1500 per day (which has allowed me to lose continuously) since my surgery.

The point being that this quantity of food (which is larger than many on here claim to be eating per meal) puts me at a comfortable place- AND I know that I'm getting in enough Fiber, calories, vitamins/min, fruits/veggies etc each day.

Sorry for the novel! My doctor and nutritionist recommend eating a small platefull at each meal (well balanced)-- which is about the amount in a Lean Cuisine- which is often about 10 oz.

Hope there's something useful in this rambling post of mine... :cool:

Its a great question. I've found on here that it really does come down to a personal choice, though. Seems like some people prefer to be tighter and let the band choose what they can or cannot eat. And, some prefer the flexibility of a looser band, but have to exercise more self-control (which is not as foolproof since most of us are fools when it comes to food! LOL).

My last fill took me a little past my sweet spot at first. I was not hungry at all ever which is awesome. But, I also was PBing on solid Protein which I don't want. I could add sauce/mayo or cut it up really really really small to get it down, but I was resorting more to Protein Shots to make sure I got in all my Protein. For me, this is not what I want long term.

My personal goal w/restriction is to just not be hungry between meals, but still be able to eat a wide variety of solid protein. Since I'm two weeks out from my fill now, I am finding it has loosened up a bit. I do get hungry now, but I can go 4-5 hours between meals so that is fine w/me. I should be eating protein every 4-5 hours anyway to keep my metabolism going and give my body what it needs. I can eat a bit more than I'd like in one sitting now, but I am not truly HUNGRY for more food.

For me, I'm gonna see if I can stay w/this fill level and just exercise a bit of self-control w/my portions since the band is really doing its job as far as controlling my hunger. And, I really like eating solid protein (meat!) and not always as a chicken salad, tuna salad, or slathered w/a bunch of BBQ Sauce.< /p>

Ultimately, its a trade-off I think and you gotta decide what you feel is most important for the band to do for you.

Are you losing at a rate that works for you?

It's a good question... and I'm probably not qualified to answer, but that won't keep me from throwing in my two cents... :eek:

IMO, being so tight that you can't get in your calories is a much bigger problem than being a little less restricted. I would *hate* to be restricted to a 1/2 c or so of food in total at a meal. If I choose high quality food- lean Protein, fruits/veggies, whole grains... I can fill my salad plate, eat that and not be full- but not be hungry either. Even with this volume of food- my calories are probably 1200-1500 per day (which has allowed me to lose continuously) since my surgery.

The point being that this quantity of food (which is larger than many on here claim to be eating per meal) puts me at a comfortable place- AND I know that I'm getting in enough Fiber, calories, vitamins/min, fruits/veggies etc each day.

Sorry for the novel! My doctor and nutritionist recommend eating a small platefull at each meal (well balanced)-- which is about the amount in a Lean Cuisine- which is often about 10 oz.

Hope there's something useful in this rambling post of mine... :cool:

See that was my question. I am totally fine eating 8 to 10 ounces, as I am losing at the perfect rate for me, but based on lots of the posts I've seen, I have been reading it's too much so I don't want to stretch my pouch.

Wanted to do a reality check to make sure I'm not expecting too much of my band (to be full on 1/2 cup and that little amount to hold me 4 hours). As long as I'm not hurting anything by having 8 to 10 ounces (not all the time, as I find I am different on different days), but knowing I have that option without causing any long-term damage to my band, I'm cool with that.

I don't think 8-10 ounces is a problem. In fact, it's what my doctor recommends. I was too tight for about a month in January. It's no fun. Just like Ada, most solid food got stuck and I was pretty much eating 1/2 c. of chili twice a day and a Protein drink for Breakfast. I wasn't hungry and the weightloss was great, but it's no way to live (at least for me).

You sound like you are happy where you are restriction-wise, so I wouldn't mess with it. If you start being able to eat 2 cups of food at a meal or the weight loss stops, then I'd be concerned.

Cindy

I have NEVER been full on 1/2 cup! I dont get as hungry as I did pre band, but then again, I never got hungry inappropriately,I just ate anyway.

I have always eaten carbs, too. Not a lot of pizza of course, but working out like I do, I have always needed wholegrains and lots of fruit and vegies.

I figured as long as I lost, I didnt really care what the "rules" say about half a cup etc (not that we have such strict rules here anyhow). I ate what satisfied and I always included carbs. Still do. Lost weight fine, kept it off.

However it was a slower weight loss. The last 10lb took me a year to lose. For sure, if you want that 30lb gone fast, then its probably time to follow a strict diet and cut out every extra you can. I personally didnt particularly care about that.

I have only had one time in my banded life where half a cup was satisfying, and I was for some inexplicable reason, miserably tight. I wasnt vomiting or unable to keep down solids, have never been there, but I'd go out for dinner and eat literally two strands of fettucine and have to stop, I constantly feared gettign stuck etc. I hated it, and if that's how people are living to be full on half a cup of food and looking at foods thinking "I cant eat that" or "I could never get that down",I just dont know how they tolerate that. I dont think that's what banding is meant to be.

Edited by Jachut