Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing wt. since surgery April 23, 08

Ive been banded for about 2 years now and haven't had any significant weight loss. The most weight Ive lost was during the liquid diet pre-op. I must say though that Im not choosing "diet food". I choose food that won't get stuck.

But I am not able to eat much at all. I have a very difficult time in the mornings and can hardly tolerate any food until the afternoon. I was under the impression that I would lose weight by not eating as much as previously, but that hasn't proven true. I was hoping to not have to be on a "diet" for the rest of my life and control my weight by eating small portions.

Has anyone else had this happen?? I am open to suggestions.

Ive been banded for about 2 years now and haven't had any significant weight loss. The most weight Ive lost was during the liquid diet pre-op. I must say though that Im not choosing "diet food". I choose food that won't get stuck.

But I am not able to eat much at all. I have a very difficult time in the mornings and can hardly tolerate any food until the afternoon. I was under the impression that I would lose weight by not eating as much as previously, but that hasn't proven true. I was hoping to not have to be on a "diet" for the rest of my life and control my weight by eating small portions.

Has anyone else had this happen?? I am open to suggestions.

Take this next week to examine, in detail, what you are eating, when and how much. Being so tight that you choose only foods the "won't get stuck" may, in some ways, be worse than you band being so loose you can eat too much. Many times the foods that slide through are higher in calories and lower in nutritional value. It is also possible that you are consuming way too little. Please try journaling this next week to see what is going on. Make an appointment to see your band doc and bring this to him/her. You may need a small fill or even a small unfill if you are too tight. It is never too late to start back on this journey and use your band as it is intended. You will find that once you get your band "just right" you will be much happier with your food choices and you should begin losing weight again. This won't happen overnight, but you should be able to get there. Good luck.

I will start journaling and Im going to increase my Water and Protein. My doc and his crew are very supportive while you're going through the process but give me that "could care less" feeling afterwards. I called today to ask about a support group, got a date but no other encouragement. I also asked about a newsletter, (that I gave my email for 2 times previously and never got) they took my email again. We'll see if I get anything. Im going to give another bariatric center a call and see if I can get any fresh help. Thanks for your imput.

Keep track of how much Protein you are getting. If you have too much restriction, then you are probably avoiding lean Proteins, which are essential to weight loss. You might need a slight unfill to get things going.

Also, what's your activity level like? How much cardio are you getting? Excercise will jump start your weight loss, and improve your mood, too. I never thought I would believe it, but there's nothing like a good sweat to make you feel better about things. Hang in there!

It sounds like you received some good advice. From your words, it sounds to me like you need a bit of an unfill. When you said you are choosing foods that don't get stuck, that's a red flag. Just a suggestion, but just a .1 cc or .2 cc unfill can make a huge difference. I was a bit too tight for about 2 months and it was no fun...stuck too much, too uncomfortable too eat anything but softer foods and alot of gurgling and acid reflux.

Up your Protein intake, drink your fluids and try a bit of an unfill and then slowly eat your "harder" Proteins, like a firm fish, chicken or steak and see what happens.

Sounds like you need a practice that listens to you. Don't give up after all this time. It can work for you.

This week Ive been having a Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch with lots of Water and iced tea in between. Also eating Protein for dinner. Im down about 3 lbs this week. And no problems with hunger. I was trying to eat fish yesterday though and got stuck. I excused myself to go the the restroom because I thought it was coming up, but after I walked for a few seconds, the feeling passed and I was fine. Does anyone have that happen? Sit-stuck, walk around and it passes?

How many follow-up appointments did you have in the first year after your surgery? There was one study that showed that lapband patients who went to eight or more follow-up appointments in the first year, lost the most weight. If your bariatric team is not encouraging you to come in for follow-up appointments or not helpful to you at those appointments, I would highly consider switching your aftercare to a different group. It can be done. I have to because the doctor who did my band is no longer in network for my insurgance.

This week Ive been having a Protein shake for breakfast and lunch with lots of Water and iced tea in between. Also eating Protein for dinner. Im down about 3 lbs this week. And no problems with hunger. I was trying to eat fish yesterday though and got stuck. I excused myself to go the the restroom because I thought it was coming up, but after I walked for a few seconds, the feeling passed and I was fine. Does anyone have that happen? Sit-stuck, walk around and it passes?

Congratulations on your 3 lb loss. That is a step in the right direction, but if you are still relying on 2 of your meals being shakes, you still may be a little tight. If you are fine with having 2 shakes per day then you can keep it that way. I still think it would be good to get .1cc or even .2ccs out to help you eat food for lunch instead of a shake. It seems to be normal for people to be tighter in the mornings, so many people do rely on shakes for breakfast.

As far as being a little stuck and then walking, yes it does seem to ease the stuck episode. So, that is perfectly normal.

Again, congratulations on the weight loss!

Im doing the Protein Shakes to get myself back on track. Eventually I'll start eating some food at lunch but I needed a kick start.

I am going to contact another bariatric group about getting involved in aftercare since Im not getting support from my docs program. I only had one required appointment after surgery a 6-8 week appointment for a fill and I was done. I was on my own after that.

Im doing the Protein shakes to get myself back on track. Eventually I'll start eating some food at lunch but I needed a kick start.

I am going to contact another bariatric group about getting involved in aftercare since Im not getting support from my docs program. I only had one required appointment after surgery a 6-8 week appointment for a fill and I was done. I was on my own after that.

That is a good idea. You are doing great. I hope you find a doc who will give you the aftercare you need. I need to go get a fill now. My last fill was Nov '08. As soon as school lets out next month, I will go in.

I am very relieved to find that I am not the only one in this boat. I had surgery two years ago. I lost about fifteen pounds in the two weeks after surgery (while on the liquid diet) but I haven't lost anything since then. My surgeon's office did a LOT pre-op, but then after the surgery, I felt like I was on my own.

I feel like I have given up. I'm glad I haven't gained back the weight I lost, but I'm frustrated at not having lost any more.

I'm going back on weight watchers tomorrow, so maybe that will help!

Ive thought about doing WW. They are starting it at work soon. But I don't know if Id be able to eat the point amount I need to. I can only eat about 1 cup at a time. I think Id be able to eat much less than what Id be required to do. Have you had fills?? Im getting on track the past week or so with help from my friends on this site. Lots of Protein and Water. So far the weight is moving off again...:thumbup:

Ive thought about doing WW. They are starting it at work soon. But I don't know if Id be able to eat the point amount I need to. I can only eat about 1 cup at a time. I think Id be able to eat much less than what Id be required to do. Have you had fills?? Im getting on track the past week or so with help from my friends on this site. Lots of Protein and Water. So far the weight is moving off again...:thumbup:

Congratulations again on the weight loss. You are doing great!

Thanks for starting this thread. It's exactly what I needed to see now! I am in the same boat. Tomorrow morning I'm back to the Protein Shakes and lots more Water. I've learned to avoid getting anything stuck but I still tend to eat too much. And then I just feel miserable! Time to get back on track!

Thanks!

I was banded 10/08. I have NO SIGNIFICANT weight loss, in fact, I had weight gain. I'm ticked off as I was 20 pounds lighter before I went into surgery. I am in and out of the surgeons office and it's just frustrating. Totally in the same boat. Bleh. Half tempted to tell him to take it out or lock me down so I can do nothing but drink.